Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Does anyone know the thread pitch of the axles? I bought some used 800 hp axles and I would like to clean up the threads a bit before installing them, but I haven't been able find out the correct size and pitch info.
Sponsored

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Not to hijack the thread, but I am replacing the hub and for the life of me I cannot get the axle out of the old hub.

I followed CJ Pony video and am just stuck on getting the axle out of the hub. Anyone provide any help would be much appreciated!

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Which side? I think it was my driver side that was kinda hard to remove, at least by myself. I had to pry on it at the diff and have someone pulling on the shaft from the outside. It popped out without too much fuss.

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Which side? I think it was my driver side that was kinda hard to remove, at least by myself. I had to pry on it at the diff and have someone pulling on the shaft from the outside. It popped out without too much fuss.
Yes it is the driver side. We'll see if my wife's new gym muscles can help then I guess lol.

If anyone else has any tips to remove the axle from the hub, I am all ears!

Nutthong001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium
I just recently have this problem shown up when I drive my car. There are some metal clicking noise (like draging soda can on the floor) going on when I put my car in gear and step on gas as well as when I let off the gas. (The noise only occurs only within a second of stepping on and letting off, while no noise going on while flooring)

I tried to do a few experiments as following...

1. Have a friend push the car forward to make the car moves without engaging the drivetrain.

Results is no unusual noise going on, only hear engine and exhaust noise. Nothing else heard.

2. Revving the car without engaging the gear.

Results is also no unusual noise going on, only hear engine and exhaust noise. Nothing else heard.

It seem like this annoying soda can clicking noise only happens when I engage the drivetrain and put/let off the engine load to the drivetrain.

I really need everyone here in this forum help me verifying the issue please!!! Big thanks in advance !!

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I don’t think any of us have been able to recreate the noise by pressing on the car. The weight shift when accelerating or stopping is more force than I can muster, that’s for sure.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently have this problem shown up when I drive my car. There are some metal clicking noise (like draging soda can on the floor) going on when I put my car in gear and step on gas as well as when I let off the gas. (The noise only occurs only within a second of stepping on and letting off, while no noise going on while flooring)

I tried to do a few experiments as following...

1. Have a friend push the car forward to make the car moves without engaging the drivetrain.

Results is no unusual noise going on, only hear engine and exhaust noise. Nothing else heard.

2. Revving the car without engaging the gear.

Results is also no unusual noise going on, only hear engine and exhaust noise. Nothing else heard.

It seem like this annoying soda can clicking noise only happens when I engage the drivetrain and put/let off the engine load to the drivetrain.

I really need everyone here in this forum help me verifying the issue please!!! Big thanks in advance !!

May have to turn the sound up but, like this?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
How is breaking one of these loose when torqued and red loctite’d as advised?

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i just ordered 2 rear wheel bearings, and gt350 half shafts, figured while i'm doing the shafts ill replace both bearings. even though there's no wobble or anything when i checked the bearings im just going to replace them all in one shot . and leave that thrust washer out ,as some posts ive seen say it does nothing

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bringing this back to the top...

So being a Mustang Enthusiast for years and having owned a variety of platforms - I have many good sites bookmarked and belong to many forums as well. I’ve followed this thread profusely and have read through every single post to date.

Which brings me to wanting to ask (2) simple and valid questions:

1) Why is the rear axle nut torque spec for a 2003-04 Cobra (IRS rear with similar CV axles) stated as being “Axle shaft-to-hub retainer 240 lb-ft”?

2) The 03-04 Cobra axle nut is also a M24-2.0 thread pitch, but a 36mm hex. The original 2003-2004 Cobra axle nut part number was FOSZ-4B477-A (package of 2). The 03-04 rear axle nut was not a castle nut, but looked more liked a reinforced encased standard type nut with no discernible flat base. Those have since been obsolete and were revised/replaced with Ford Part # W707772-S441 (package of 2, also M24-2.0 and 36mm hex). The revised nuts do have a small base to them, but are also nylock nuts (nylon reinforced to improve and prevent the nut from backing off).

———

Since the 03-04 Cobra Ford axle nuts are M24-2.0, won’t Ford Part # W707772-S441 also work on the S550 axles? Everything I’ve read in this thread points to the S550 rear axle nuts also being a M24-2.0 thread pitch.

With the above being noted, if 03-04 Cobra owners have been successful with the nylock axle nuts and 240ft-lbs, won’t that also resolve the S550 issue? I’m asking because it seems even those who have torqued to 150ft-lbs on the currently available S550 axle nuts are still experiencing issues.

Thoughts?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
so my recently installed new axle nut torqued to 150ftlb + 1/8 turn, with red loctite backed off ~1/16 turn in the first month. Drivers side, interestingly passenger side is still fully torqued.

Can anyone here think of any reason why I should not try a second nut as a lock/jamb nut? There are plenty of threads left on the axle stud.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How is everyone torquing there’s? Under load or as it’s jacked up in gear to prevent spinning?

Status
Not open for further replies.