Sponsored

Downshifting from '3 to 2' or '2 to 1' with paddle shifters bad for transmission and engine?

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hi guys,

Like my title says, does this hurt the transmission or engine? I like to do this coming off a highway exit then to a stop. The roar the engine makes downshifting is addicting but am I causing more strain on the car?

Thanks!
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
No it is not "bad" so much as revving your engine up is "bad" for your car (or turning on your car for that matter...).

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Just don't downshift @ WOT.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't downshift @ WOT.
It won't let you, in D or S. Only time it will let you drop down is if the RPM's are less than redline. I have tested that many o' times.

The one thing I will say to the OP is about engine braking. A couple of times I had to stop really quick. I downshifted while hitting the brakes. There was a significant jolt when I went 2-1 but no issues shifting afterwards. I normally have a jolt when I go 2-1 or 1-2 but this was a bit more significant.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
why would it put strain on the car .first off manuals engine brake like this all the time with down shifts .2nd the car rev matches on down shifts . ford would not have programmed it to allow it to work this way if it was an issue ..

Sponsored

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
It isn't bad, but it isn't comfortable in any way!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
why would it put strain on the car .first off manuals engine brake like this all the time with down shifts .2nd the car rev matches on down shifts . ford would not have programmed it to allow it to work this way if it was an issue ..
Well more RPM is always going to be more strain on all rotating components than less RPM.

Staying in a higher gear and keeping revs at 2,000 is going to be less strain than if you continually rev it to 4,000 by downshifting more often.

Now that isn't much strain, but it's some nonetheless.
Sponsored