Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
Any updates? Thank you.
UPDATE FROM ED OF TKO,
I just had communications with Ed about the filters.. seems the winter weather up on Long Island in N.Y. is slowing down testing,
he also said that the filters are actually flowing too much air and that is messing with the cars computer, so it will still be a while as things are sorted out
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
UPDATE FROM ED OF TKO,
I just had communications with Ed about the filters.. seems the winter weather up on Long Island in N.Y. is slowing down testing,
he also said that the filters are actually flowing too much air and that is messing with the cars computer, so it will still be a while as things are sorted out
Thank you for following up. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
... he also said that the filters are actually flowing too much air and that is messing with the cars computer, so it will still be a while as things are sorted out
Flowing too much air? So the computer can't self adjust for a high flowing filter?

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Flowing too much air? So the computer can't self adjust for a high flowing filter?
Yeah, I thought I have read where some folks have completely removed their filter while making 1/4 mile runs... which I know isn’t the same condition as daily driving...

Sponsored

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
I left out that Ed also said in other cases that this very high flowing filter would be great,
BUT, the s550 computer is not happy with it, so... you can call B/S if you need to because
I'm sure those doing so are engineers in this field and with computers and know much more about this then I do.
I choose to believe him as I can't see a reason for him to spin a yarn about it.
MAYBE it flows too much for completely stock cars , I don't know, but I am willing to wait and see.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's possible that Ford has something in the tuning that compares measured airflow with throttle position, and throws a code if the airflow is higher (or lower) than some expected range. Although I don't think I've ever seen a drop-in filter that made a difference big enough to trip something like that.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah but this is special material. It actually flows so much air that the intake tube becomes pressurized......
No, not really. The only way to even get close would be to open up the grill and install a Ram Air scoop. And even then, when the engine is drawing that much air, you'd probably have to going like a 100mph to get a positive pressure on the vacuum gauge.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
No, not really. The only way to even get close would be to open up the grill and install a Ram Air scoop. And even then, when the engine is drawing that much air, you'd probably have to going like a 100mph to get a positive pressure on the vacuum gauge.
I think you swung and missed

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
UPDATE FROM ED OF TKO,
Maybe this will help: When Shelby created the superb ‘08 & ‘09 GT500KR hood, some people who had replaced the original air filter with a higher flow version, had strange things happen at mid-high speeds (surging, etc.). Put the original filter back in, and all was well.
Turns out that the hood was dumping air on the new filter in such a way that the air flow past the MAF was messed up and causing it to send strange readings. So they created about a 9” square aluminum shield over part of the air filter to get the air flowing smoothly and not be disrupted by the ram-air effect of the hood.
I have seen pictures of this set up on Team Shelby. But not sure I can find them again....

Edit: Here’s the link to the discussion on Team Shelby, but the pictures are gone:
https://www.teamshelby.com/topic/28031-kr-hood/?tab=comments#comment-423970

Last edited:

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe this will help: When Shelby created the superb ‘08 & ‘09 GT500KR hood, some people who had replaced the original air filter with a higher flow version, had strange things happen at mid-high speeds (surging, etc.). Put the original filter back in, and all was well.
Turns out that the hood was dumping air on the new filter in such a way that the air flow past the MAF was messed up and causing it to send strange readings. So they created about a 9” square aluminum shield over part of the air filter to get the air flowing smoothly and not be disrupted by the ram-air effect of the hood.
I have seen pictures of this set up on Team Shelby. But not sure I can find them again....

Edit: Here’s the link to the discussion on Team Shelby, but the pictures are gone:
https://www.teamshelby.com/topic/28031-kr-hood/?tab=comments#comment-423970
That’s actually the only thing I could think of is turbulence around the MAF sensor. I still amuse myself by thinking of the nano superchargers built into the filter.. now that would be some nano technology. :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.