How tough to install a spoiler?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have been waiting on my guy to help me install a spoiler, but the more I read and watch YouTube videos the more I think I could do it myself. I have installed my window louvres and properly cleaned the area/used adhesion promoter/etc. I think I could follow the instructions to remove it well enough but I am concerned about things I don't know about coming up.

On a scale of 1 to 5 how would you rate removing the stock spoiler and adding a new one (and making it look good!)?
Sponsored

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I have been waiting on my guy to help me install a spoiler, but the more I read and watch YouTube videos the more I think I could do it myself. I have installed my window louvres and properly cleaned the area/used adhesion promoter/etc. I think I could follow the instructions to remove it well enough but I am concerned about things I don't know about coming up.

On a scale of 1 to 5 how would you rate removing the stock spoiler and adding a new one (and making it look good!)?
First off, what kind of spoiler is it?

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
First off, what kind of spoiler is it?
I'd list the item but it's sold out and removed from their web store. It's a GT350 knock off from Sport Wing. It bolts to the same holes currently on my stock spoiler as far as I know.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
There's peeling and sticking tape then there's repeatedly drilling into the metal of your trunk...If it is just a 3M spoiler, go ahead and give it a shot yourself. Mine haven't had issues but I would wait for my buddy before doing a properly mounted spoiler.

edit » just saw the edit, if you already have a spoiler there shouldn't be any issue. Just make sure you get rid of all existing tape residue and use new adhesion promoter again.

Deleted member 35644

If your new spoiler uses the existing holes, you're home free. Hardest part will be prying the old one off and removing the adhesive (foam tape). It doesn't take that stuff long to bond to the paint.

Use plastic trim removal tools (with great care) if you need some help getting an end started.

I find it helpful to have someone help place the new spoiler. Even though you're aiming for existing holes, you can still get it on crooked if the tape hits the surface before you're lined up perfectly. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thank you both for the advice!

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
30 lb. test fishing line works great for removing it. It will cut thru the foam tape. You can use Naptha to remove the sticky residue.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm literally doing this right now. Watch this video first because there was a point that he speaks about I probably would have figured out the hard way.

The base GT spoiler is a super pain in the butt to remove. It is literally two lengths of super strong tape that go clear across the trunk. So in my opinion that is the hardest one to remove. Heat helped out quite a bit removing the old spoiler but in the end it took some muscle. To remove residue and remaining tape, the most effective non-chemical way for me was to use heat and an old fuzzy rag to take it all off the big stuff. Then I used some adhesive remover from Auto Zone to remove the remaining sticky stuff. I still had some hardened parts that just would not come off no matter what I did. So I got some really fine abrasive (swirl removal compound) and used my orbital buffer to get it perfectly smooth.

Don't forget to do a really good cleaning of the surface before you put on the adhesive pads. This stuff is impossibly strong but it will not take if it doesn't contact your clear coat. I have found a ton of posts from guys who said their adhesive comes up because they didn't clean the surface really good.

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I've had my trackpack spoiler being held on by only 3M tape for months now and it's still holding on strong. It's been through rain and snow and I park my car outside.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
So I'm literally doing this right now. Watch this video first because there was a point that he speaks about I probably would have figured out the hard way.

The base GT spoiler is a super pain in the butt to remove. It is literally two lengths of super strong tape that go clear across the trunk. So in my opinion that is the hardest one to remove. Heat helped out quite a bit removing the old spoiler but in the end it took some muscle. To remove residue and remaining tape, the most effective non-chemical way for me was to use heat and an old fuzzy rag to take it all off the big stuff. Then I used some adhesive remover from Auto Zone to remove the remaining sticky stuff. I still had some hardened parts that just would not come off no matter what I did. So I got some really fine abrasive (swirl removal compound) and used my orbital buffer to get it perfectly smooth.

Don't forget to do a really good cleaning of the surface before you put on the adhesive pads. This stuff is impossibly strong but it will not take if it doesn't contact your clear coat. I have found a ton of posts from guys who said their adhesive comes up because they didn't clean the surface really good.
Thanks for the video, I will check that one out. I saw a more amateur guy do one but he did it pretty good, I was roughly following his lead.

I have the blackout package, which yeah is a long thin strip. I think the heat gun and fishing line like suggested above. Thank you very much for the suggestions/tips! Good luck with yours.

Sponsored
OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I've had my trackpack spoiler being held on by only 3M tape for months now and it's still holding on strong. It's been through rain and snow and I park my car outside.
I got my car with a spoiler I didn't care for just so I'd have the holes pre-drilled. I think doing the nuts and bolts will be the easiest part of the job.

Calhoun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Race Red
If the holes are already there you should be able to do it yourself. I'm no mechanic but was able to remove the old spoiler and install a Track Pack spoiler with no problems. As mentioned by others the hardest part was removing the old spoiler and adhesive.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Well I needed some help, but it is on.
IMG_0796.jpg