Sponsored

Here's one for the techies

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
We might not be talking about the same noise here but. My car when cold and especially if i'm in reverse makes a low weeee woo wee woo sound like a whistle but more like gizmo from gremlins LOL I was told its the electric steering motors making the noise.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
in your day we sent a decent cross section of the male population to tech school where students got to rip apart and reassemble engines. You can't even find a basic welding class anymore. The technicians these days probably have no idea how to build an engine (or they did it once in school) and therefore the manufacturers are more interested in a "controlled item" aka fresh factory engine being installed (the lack of QC notwithstanding) for the purposes of repair resolution than some unknown possible numbskull taking a swipe at the power unit.
In all actuality the cost of labor and parts probably cost about the same as what ford makes a engine for. You would be floored to find out how little ford spends to build the car they sell for 50k. Then the car wont be coming back in for other repairs later on the same old engine. Putting in a new one is in all likelihood an upfront cost savings over time. Plus its a write off as a loss im sure.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Thanks for your collective input folks. I've been advised that they want to run some more checks but have confirmed the 'noise' is from the off-side cylinder head area (that's drivers side down here). If it's internal they will just put in a new engine as they don't strip down and repair things these days (so I'm told). I'm staggered; in my day we repaired stuff, we didn't just replace whole engines without a closer look. How the world has changed eh!
Another thought on whole engine replacement is that they return the engine to the factory to be examined to discover the issue. I know Harley Davidson often returns replaced motors for that specific purpose.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Pity the bookies and lawyers won't let Ford sell "returned crate engines" by the pallet to the public, no warranty, as-is, where-is...

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
My GT has had what I can best describe as a belt 'whistle' on cold start, be it water pump, alternator or whatever. There's more than one. As it warms up, the 'whistle' goes away.
Crazy, my 19 PP2 does the same thing. 600 miles on the odometer, days here have been in the 40s. Subbing as I want to see if this is worth taking to service.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I hear a chirp that sounds like a pulley on startup which I suspect is what the TSB is referring to. I haven't had it looked at yet either.

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
in your day we sent a decent cross section of the male population to tech school where students got to rip apart and reassemble engines. You can't even find a basic welding class anymore. The technicians these days probably have no idea how to build an engine (or they did it once in school) and therefore the manufacturers are more interested in a "controlled item" aka fresh factory engine being installed (the lack of QC notwithstanding) for the purposes of repair resolution than some unknown possible numbskull taking a swipe at the power unit.
Yes, I think you're right. I wonder what they teach apprentices these days. It seems any fault under warranty is dealt with by fitting new parts, even a whole engine for a slight noise on cold start.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Another thought on whole engine replacement is that they return the engine to the factory to be examined to discover the issue. I know Harley Davidson often returns replaced motors for that specific purpose.
They did mention that the original would probably go back to Ford for inspection. They also said it was quicker and cheaper to replace it than strip it down and hope to trace the source of the noise.

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Crazy, my 19 PP2 does the same thing. 600 miles on the odometer, days here have been in the 40s. Subbing as I want to see if this is worth taking to service.
Mine did it from day 1 with a handful of kms on it. I thought it was a belt but they said the belts and tensions were fine, although they couldn't hear anything because it was warmed up. They told me to put some more mileage on it and it might settle down, but it hasn't.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If my sound is related to the TSB being discussed (i.e., the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve), then is this just a noise, or is this is an issue that will result in some kind of engine issue(s)?

OP
OP
1st Pony

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Do you have that TSB number by chance? My engine is not currently doing this (2019 w/8800 miles, built pre the TSB date) but if it starts I will refer to this TSB if it starts and I take in. :thumbsup:
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
5.0L - Chirping Noise From Engine Compartment At Warm Or Hot Idle - Built On Or Before 30-Apr-2019
Model:
TSB 19-2140
08 May 2019
Page 1 of 2
Ford
2018-2019 F-150
2018-2019 Mustang
Issue: Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr- 2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following conditions:
• 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang
• 5.0L Engine
• Built on or before 30-Apr-2019
• Exhibits a chirping noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle
Parts
Part Number
Description
Quantity
JL3Z-6L266-C
Primary Timing Chain Tensioner
BR3Z-6A340-A
Crankshaft Bolt
F1VY-8507-A
Water Pump O-ring
JL3Z-6584-C
Right Valve Cover Gasket
JL3Z-6584-D
Left Valve Cover Gasket
BR3Z-6C535-A
VCT Seal
HL3Z-6C535-A
Spark Plug Seals
JR3Z-9J323-A
High Pressure Pump Fuel Tube
FT4Z-9E583-A
High Pressure Pump Fuel Pump O-ring
GK2Z-6700-A
Front Crank Seal
7T4Z-8590-A
Thermostat Housing Gasket
BR3Z-6020-C
Front Cover Gasket, Center
BR3Z-6020-B
Front Cover Gasket, Left
BR3Z-6020-D
Front Cover Gasket, Right
W712334-S440
Strut Tower Brace Nuts (Mustang Only)
JR3Z-8620-A
A/C Compressor Belt (Mustang Only)
AA5Z-6714-A
Oil Filter
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/TSB/EU/~WTSB19-2140/US/E... 6/3/2019

Page 2 of 2
ZC-30-A Motorcraft® Gasket Remover 1
Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
Repair/Claim Coding
Service Procedure
1. Remove the FEAD belt and the air conditioning (A/C) compressor belt and start the engine. Refer to the
Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-05. Is the noise still present? (1). Yes - proceed to Step 2.
(2). No - this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05D.
2. Replace both primary timing chain tensioners. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
© 2019 Ford Motor Company All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
ZC-31B
Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes
TA-30
Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant
XO-5W20-Q1SP
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (All Markets Except Canada)
F-150: 9, Mustang: 10
CXO-5W20- LSP6
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada Only)
F-150: 9, Mustang: 10
Description
Operation No.
Time
2018-2019 F-150 5.0L: Diagnose And Replace Both Primary Timing Chain Tensioners (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
192140A
8.4 Hrs.
2018-2019 Mustang 5.0L: Diagnose And Replace Both Primary Timing Chain Tensioners (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
192140B
8.5 Hrs.
Causal Part:
6L266
Condition Code:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/TSB/EU/~WTSB19-2140/US/E... 6/3/2019

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I get a little squeal like that in my EB when I start it and back out of the garage. It seems to go away by the time I'm on the road, or maybe it just gets drowned out by engine noise. :shrug:
Sponsored