Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting for my S550 Boss 429.... :devil:

Aluminum block, 7k rpm redline, aggressive cam, A10 trans, 550hp 575tq....
It would be pretty hilarious. Even better with boost :clap:
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It would be pretty hilarious. Even better with boost :clap:
As some are aware, Ford Motorsport have released an iron block coyote to cope with boosted applications beyond 2000hp.

A destroked Godzilla with boost would make that look like child's play. Again, and as mentioned in the video, those bores are ridiculously huge. If Ford ever decide to use this in a Mustang it would whip anything without boost.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I too am awaiting for the Boss 429 Mustang. Rpm red line may be closer to 7500 RPM for a high performance 7.3 liter V8 the way that engine is designed.
With hardware changes for high rpm it would easily go over 700hp. No blowers or intercoolers means it would probably be on par in weight to Predator. What's stopping Ford producing this in alloy?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
And....for the Foxbody crown, that engine allows direct fitment of the 10 speed auto out of the GT without any transmission tunnel modifications.

I'd like to stress the point that the 100 lbs difference between the coyote (if proven to be true) is is pretty small. Hell, throw an iron block on the coyote and it's now the same weight as this 7.3 engine.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
With hardware changes for high rpm it would easily go over 700hp. No blowers or intercoolers means it would probably be on par in weight to Predator. What's stopping Ford producing this in alloy?
Cost and demand. Iron is cheaper...and stronger. Ford also stressed how they wanted an engine that was easy to work on and easy to rebuild for fleet vehicles. An Iron block checks all the boxes.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What's stopping Ford producing this in alloy?
I really think Ford intended this engine to be primarily for work trucks in the F-250 and up categories and fleet vehicles...not for the Mustang. It seems to be a more affordable way to get the torque and power needed without running chain driven dual overhead cams with lightweight high performance like the Coyote and VooDoo. The pushrod design is meant to be simpler and more affordable for working vehicles. Especially since Powerstrokes have all the extra emissions equipment the 7.3L doesn't need. Also, the cast iron block is meant to provide long term reliability with lots of low end torque using the forged crank. I just can't see how this engine was in any way intended for the Mustang.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Cost and demand. Iron is cheaper...and stronger. Ford also stressed how they wanted an engine that was easy to work on and easy to rebuild for fleet vehicles. An Iron block checks all the boxes.
It still makes you wonder how much effort it would take to recast the block in aluminum for car use. The original modular featured an iron block, and we know where that eventually went.

Norm

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It still makes you wonder how much effort it would take to recast the block in aluminum for car use. The original modular featured an iron block, and we know where that eventually went.

Norm
It wouldn't be difficult, just expensive. They would need a business case beyond throwing it in a Boss mustang.

It would be glorious if they went this route. Can you imagine a 7.3L engine with the same weight as the coyote? The potential for that engine is huge.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh God let it die!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And....for the Foxbody crown, that engine allows direct fitment of the 10 speed auto out of the GT without any transmission tunnel modifications.

I'd like to stress the point that the 100 lbs difference between the coyote (if proven to be true) is is pretty small. Hell, throw an iron block on the coyote and it's now the same weight as this 7.3 engine.
It's still 100 lbs over the front wheels, which isn't good for anything except making for heavier understeer and longer stopping distances. Even forward acceleration takes a hit, all the way up to whatever speed it stops being possible for engine torque to overcome tire traction.

Norm

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh God let it die!
Never

It's still 100 lbs over the front wheels, which isn't good for anything except making for heavier understeer and longer stopping distances. Even forward acceleration takes a hit, all the way up to whatever speed it stops being possible for engine torque to overcome tire traction.

Norm
You are talking from only one vantage point. There is a reason this engine will be in future swaps....and it's a similar reason Ford is going to start offering an aftermarket iron block (+100lbs) for those with a coyote engine.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You are talking from only one vantage point. There is a reason this engine will be in future swaps....and it's a similar reason Ford is going to start offering an aftermarket iron block (+100lbs) for those with a coyote engine.

Which makes zero sense as to why it's being offered so far because sleeved Coyotes are already handling 2000 horsepower at the crank. And living to tell the tail and do it again and again.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Which makes zero sense as to why it's being offered so far because sleeved Coyotes are already handling 2000 horsepower at the crank. And living to tell the tail and do it again and again.
It makes perfect sense if you want to go bigger than 5.2L (aluminum block limit). There is obviously a demand, and the weight is inconsequential for those looking at big power. The iron block can go all the way out to 5.6L.

"The drag racers running shootout-level classes are going through several OEM blocks per year, this should get them through a season without any issues," Ford Performance engineer Ron Ewert told Dragzine."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30273199/ford-cast-iron-coyote-v8-block/

What is crazy though is the price of these blocks.

"Ford Performance expects the block to become available to customers starting in the first quarter of 2020, priced between $5000 and $6000"

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What is crazy though is the price of these blocks.

"Ford Performance expects the block to become available to customers starting in the first quarter of 2020, priced between $5000 and $6000"

Exactly my argument. I should have expanded on that. Makes zero sense based on COST. Iron should be cheaper and yes it is more durable. However it is not and Ford missed the mark. All that being said I still think the Godzilla swap is extremely silly and a waste UNLESS you can junk yard one for very very cheap. Since you can junk yard Gen 1 long blocks for around $3000 - 3500 and just want to do an NA swap, you would have to be out of your MIND to use a Godzilla brand new or close to new. Coyote swap kits are available, proven, and readily available. They have the power, the weight advantage, and the characteristics for a great resto mod street rod.

People are going to do it because it's hype. I don't deny that. But is it PRACTICAL...so far I'm not convinced at all. I'm a stickler on weight and having that extra 100lbs over the nose would really bug me. Yes one could say well the old 302 was all iron and weighed almost 600lbs anyway and yada yada yada. Well I think that's kinda cool that you lose over 100lbs by going to a Coyote especially since weight reduction costs so much. That nimble 3200lb Fox got even more nimble and needs all the help it can get over the nose.

Tuned and and a few bolt ons for 450 horsepower, proven and readily available swap kits, less weight, more nimble, modern driveline with nostalgia, need no more. In my opinion.
Sponsored