Sponsored

Good to see a car company listening to its customers

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Not Mustang related but good to see Porsche reacting to sales and listening to customers with a naturally aspirated six cylinder manual gearbox for the "normally" priced cars ie Cayman. A desirable car other than Mustang at last, should hopefully give Ford more competion to up its game in the performance stats and maybe give us the GT350 instead of gimmicks.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...and-boxster-gts-bring-back-six-cylinder-power
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The current Ford Mustang is finished, for Ford.
We're in the second half of the product lifecycle. If anything, Ford may be working on it's replacement.
However, today I view Ford as a company keen to stop ICE vehicle production, asap.
So it'll be an electric Mustang, but oh! Wait a minute.....

Furthermore, I don't see the Cayman as an EB, GT or Shelby, competitor.
Neither do I see any interest from or value for, Ford producing <1000 RHD Shelby GT cars for the remainder of the product's lifecycle.

Ford screwed up further, with the current Mustang, by releasing a revised/refreshed front end for the EB & GT, while retaining old tooling & appearance for the Shelby.

Currently, the Ford Mustang product is a bit of a mess, more a handful of vehicles under a single name, than a continuation of an icon, imo.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you're being a bit melodramatic with the Mustang being finished. Performance cars are performance cars especially in the UK (where there are no other muscle cars) and I would say the Cayman, BMW M2 etc are definitely competitors here

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I think you're being a bit melodramatic with the Mustang being finished. Performance cars are performance cars especially in the UK (where there are no other muscle cars) and I would say the Cayman, BMW M2 etc are definitely competitors here
Firstly, that depends on the definition of "Muscle car", furthermore, in Europe at least, I wouldn't confuse muscle cars with performance cars.

Re-read my post & you'll notice I said the "current" Mustang that we're driving, the S550, is finished for Ford.
Typically Ford's product lifecycle is circa 6 years with MCA/refresh at 3 years.
That's 15-17 & 18-20.
This is because tooling wears out & sales analysis tells Ford replacing current tooling for a product which is then 6 years old is a waste.
Instead, Ford and other OEMs spend that same tooling budget on a new, replacement product!
That's also why the current Shelby cars are now extremely unlikely to be offered in RHD during the remaining life of this current Mustang.

My current GT is more akin to a BMW 850, than a Cayman. Similar size 2 door coupe, 2+2 seating, front engined, RWD, etc. It's just that while my car cost a lot less than the BMW 850, it's not nearly as less of a car.

Furthermore, as attractive as the full-fat M2 appears to be, it's still a 2 series & I believe the current M2 is nearing the end of it's product lifecycle.
M4 would be a better comparison to a Mustang GT, on spec & layout.

Perhaps people aren't sure what to compare a Cayman to.
Rear mounted 6 cylinder engine, strictly 2 seats. Not many of that type of car around, so perhaps comparison difficult.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
Agreed very melodramatic, and somewhat wrong.

Far from S550 being close to end of life, we still have a fair few more years of the current Mustang at least.

Current estimates are that the 7th Gen Mustang S650 will not be out until 2026 at the earliest.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/04/next-gen-ford-mustang-grow-size-launch-2026/
"As for the current Mustang, it will reportedly receive a major mid-cycle refresh soon, technically making it the second refresh of the S550 generation. Sources say that this second S550 refresh will get new looks front to back, as well as a hybrid model. Speaking of which, the Mustang Hybrid is also delayed, and is expected to arrive in early 2022."

Personally I reckon the (2nd) major facelift will coincide with the 2022 Hybrid launch, so giving us another 2 years of Mustang S550 as it is currently, then the final 4 years of Mustang S550.3 before S650 launches.

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Agreed very melodramatic, and somewhat wrong.

Far from S550 being close to end of life, we still have a fair few more years of the current Mustang at least.

Current estimates are that the 7th Gen Mustang S650 will not be out until 2026 at the earliest.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/04/next-gen-ford-mustang-grow-size-launch-2026/

Personally I reckon the (2nd) major facelift will coincide with the 2022 Hybrid launch, so giving us another 2 years of Mustang S550 as it is currently, then the final 4 years of Mustang S550.3 before S650 launches.
:cwl:

You might try reading what I write :crackup:
Firstly, that depends on the definition of "Muscle car", furthermore, in Europe at least, I wouldn't confuse muscle cars with performance cars.

Re-read my post & you'll notice I said the "current" Mustang that we're driving, the S550, is finished for Ford.
Typically Ford's product lifecycle is circa 6 years with MCA/refresh at 3 years.
That's 15-17 & 18-20.
This is because tooling wears out & sales analysis tells Ford replacing current tooling for a product which is then 6 years old is a waste.
Instead, Ford and other OEMs spend that same tooling budget on a new, replacement product!
That's also why the current Shelby cars are now extremely unlikely to be offered in RHD during the remaining life of this current Mustang.

My current GT is more akin to a BMW 850, than a Cayman. Similar size 2 door coupe, 2+2 seating, front engined, RWD, etc. It's just that while my car cost a lot less than the BMW 850, it's not nearly as less of a car.

Furthermore, as attractive as the full-fat M2 appears to be, it's still a 2 series & I believe the current M2 is nearing the end of it's product lifecycle.
M4 would be a better comparison to a Mustang GT, on spec & layout.

Perhaps people aren't sure what to compare a Cayman to.
Rear mounted 6 cylinder engine, strictly 2 seats. Not many of that type of car around, so perhaps comparison difficult.
:wink:

Then
"As for the current Mustang, it will reportedly receive a major mid-cycle refresh soon, technically making it the second refresh of the S550 generation. Sources say that this second S550 refresh will get new looks front to back, as well as a hybrid model. Speaking of which, the Mustang Hybrid is also delayed, and is expected to arrive in early 2022."

Typically a vehicle is refreshed once during it's lifecycle. A second refresh is unusual and is probably related to the delay for the hybrid. Although your quote reads as though the "refresh" will be what we in the industry call a "top hat". including a hybrid variant.

Next model is possibly delayed then! :shock:

During 25 years, I've worked for Ford and it's suppliers, so I may know a thing or two. Truth is none of us know exactly what and when Ford will do with the next Mustang.
But instead if grizzling about not having the Shelby in the U.K. (on a forum where owners whinge about the cost of an oil change) I've offered an experience and evidence based opinion.
Carry on!
:clap:

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
Hmm

Better tell Ford it was wrong refresh/face-lift Focus four times, Fiesta seven times, mondeo six times, to name but three models who went far and above the one or very unusually (apparently) two facelifts per model you quote.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Call it a muscle car or pony, it's semantics. Semantics, melodramatic, hyperbole and lots of text are never a good combination.
Ive never complained about the cost of an oil change!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hmm

Better tell Ford it was wrong refresh/face-lift Focus four times, Fiesta seven times, mondeo six times, to name but three models who went far and above the one or very unusually (apparently) two facelifts per model you quote.
They were not facelifts, they were new models

They all had minor mid term facelifts after around 3 years in a 5 or 6 year lifecycle. The initial Mondeo (which had one facelift ) had nothing in connection with the second (which also had one facelift)

Facelifts are minor trim / bumper changes not floorpan changes !
Sponsored