Switched from Coupe to a Convertible Impressions

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Funny, my first convertible was a '95 LeBaron. Had a lot of fun in it and my son owns it now.
My LeBaron was a lust purchase. It was a very impromptu purchase for me and the worst buying decision I've ever made with a car. I drove it for a little over six years abut put about 90k miles on it. I had more nitpicking problems with that car than I've had with just about every other car I've owned, combined. It went through an AC compressor a year for the first four years I owned it along with several other annoying problems. Chrysler lost their ares on the extended warranty I bought for that car! ;-) On the positive side, it drove well, was reasonably comfortable, performed adequately, never left me stranded, and got well over the EPA gas mileage estimates especially on the freeway. EPA said 28 highway but I never got less than 30 and often netted over 32! When I was ready to buy my next car, I took The LeBaron back to the dealer I bought it from and they refused to take it on trade. They found a local used car place that agreed to take it so it worked out ok but I wasn't impressed at the time.
Sponsored

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Check out the Ford Borla Touring bolt on exhaust. I found a like new set for only $350
Hey Canyon Ed. Checking in to see if you are still happy with the FP Borla Touring exhaust? I'm close to making that decision now. I want better than stock but not super loud for my convertible. What do you think?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hey Canyon Ed. Checking in to see if you are still happy with the FP Borla Touring exhaust? I'm close to making that decision now. I want better than stock but not super loud for my convertible. What do you think?

Do you have the Active Exhaust option? Assuming not since you're shopping catbacks, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask - I just added an H-pipe to my '19 with the AE, and it's __awesome__.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Do you have the Active Exhaust option? Assuming not since you're shopping catbacks, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask - I just added an H-pipe to my '19 with the AE, and it's __awesome__.
I'm so pleased you got it done! I live vicariously through your car because of how close I came to an OF GT Vert before realizing the dealer was jacking me around!

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
MRX, I wish I had AE. But I don't so trying for an enhancement that I can live with every day. FP Borla Touring looks like the best based on what the various forums say. I'd just hate to spend that much money for not much gain so am hesitating. Now if FP suddenly came out with their long awaited performance pack for '18 +, my money would go there..... But I realize that is just a pipedream at this point. Either it really is CARB's fault, or perhaps as likely FP can't meaningfully improve Coyote 3.0 since they seem to be so conservative.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm so pleased you got it done! I live vicariously through your car because of how close I came to an OF GT Vert before realizing the dealer was jacking me around!
That's pretty funny, because - as I believe I told you - I almost pulled the trigger __twice__ on blue, one Velocity (like yours) and one was a MY18 in Lightning :D

I need to get some sound clips, a cold start in Quiet, some cruise in a couple of different modes, some WOT over the bridge :rockon:

Holy smokes, I was coming home from the C&C on Saturday (wow, what a turnout, I bet there was 500 cars), anyway, down A1A, had a bunch of looky-loos, I made an, *Ahem* brisk passing move, and when I slowed down really hard the S+ mode downshifted aggressively and it was GLORIOUS.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
MRX, I wish I had AE. But I don't so trying for an enhancement that I can live with every day. FP Borla Touring looks like the best based on what the various forums say. I'd just hate to spend that much money for not much gain so am hesitating. Now if FP suddenly came out with their long awaited performance pack for '18 +, my money would go there..... But I realize that is just a pipedream at this point. Either it really is CARB's fault, or perhaps as likely FP can't meaningfully improve Coyote 3.0 since they seem to be so conservative.
Ahh, gotcha, and I definitely understand about not wanting too much volume, especially in a convertible (I forget sometimes, since I'm roof down 95% of the time, how much more exhaust you get down vs. up). The main concern is always drone, especially if you do any long-er-ish highway cruising. Definitely keep an eye out in the For Sale area, exhaust come up all the time, and you can generally score a great deal vs. new (and an exhaust with some miles on it is no biggie).

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to contemplate is that all 2018/19 model year stangs come with the electronic components/connectors to add the Active Exhaust feature to your ride.
There is a thread on the forum somewhere with lots of narrative on this. Someone had a 17 and tried to add the Ford Active Exhaust system, but found they did not have the correct electronic components to tie it into the main dash system. The difference between a non-active exhaust ordered vehicle and the AE is the baffles within the muffler components (you'd have to purchase the muffler set) and the tie-in to the main dash console which would come with the mufflers I believe.
I'd be curious to see what the cost would be through a Ford dealership. I know that Corsa developed an active exhaust setup for the 18/19 model years as well, so that might be an option to tie into a current 18/19 without active exhaust stock from the factory.
I know that when I eventually purchase another vert it's going to have the active exhaust for sure. I absolutely love it on my Shelby.

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I currently drive a 19 Ecoboost PP and had 19 Ecoboost Convertible as a loaner for like two days, and I noticed the car shifts very smoothly and quickly. My car for some reason skips gear when it shifts, goes 1 to 3 to 5 and on. It felt like the convertible didn't but I wasn't sure because it didn't have a gear indicator.
Pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I currently drive a 19 Ecoboost PP and had 19 Ecoboost Convertible as a loaner for like two days, and I noticed the car shifts very smoothly and quickly. My car for some reason skips gear when it shifts, goes 1 to 3 to 5 and on. It felt like the convertible didn't but I wasn't sure because it didn't have a gear indicator.
Pretty interesting.
I am assuming you have the 10 speed automatic? You may want to have that looked at....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Why? That is how it is supposed to work in Normal mode.
Based up the previous post, I assumed that wasn't normal as he drove 2 models with I am assuming the same transmission and got different results... wasn't sure if that was normal or not.....

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Mine rarely skips a gear in normal. Shit...is something wrong with mine?!

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Wonderful

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
We installed the axel backs so far I have a have a x pipe in stock and that may be next,
Sponsored