Tire recommendation for summer daily driver and track

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm planning on going with a 285/35 R19 squared set up.

This is for my daily driver, with lowered suspension. My goal is to have a sporty daily driver, and have fun on the track, not set the new track record.

What would be a good compromise of a performance summer tire that I could daily drive and take numerous times to the track?

I'm trying to balance cost/tire wear, and performance. My first thought is to put on the Michelin PS4S, but I am concerned that 4 or 5 track days during a summer would completely wear them out.

I have a set of AS3+ on the original PP1 wheels for the winter months.

Thanks
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or bust imo.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Honest answer: your best bet is to get a set of wheels/tires just for the track. In the long run you're going to end up spending more money on tires most likely, and you'll be stuck making a compromise on track performance by needing to buy tires suitable for daily driving.

The usual suspects for good track/autocross tires won't be very good for daily driving. Hydroplaning is a problem if you encounter standing water. And as the tire wears (which it will quickly), you'll have even less tread depth with which to manage rainy conditions.

Get some Firehawk Indy 500s for your street wheels and a proper set of max performance summers for your track wheels. RE71R, Rival S 1.5, RS-4... something like that. Why not set the track record? Have as much fun as possible.

If I did recommend a dual purpose tire I'd probably try Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the 4S.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
New Honest answer: your best bet is to get a set of wheels/tires just for the track. In the long run you're going to end up spending more money on tires most likely, and you'll be stuck making a compromise on track performance by needing to buy tires suitable for daily driving.
This. You'll compromise both DD performance (comfort, noise, wear and wet weather capability) and track performance (dry grip, durability on track) trying to get a compromise. You'll also wear your DD tires much quicker and you'll turn them hard and more unforgiving (noise, ride) after track use.

I've done the compromise thing. It isn't great and always leaves you wanting.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe RS4 in 275, but they’ll last a while but that much heat cycling will leave them pretty hard towards the end, and they arent the best wet weather tire.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm trying to perform double duty in my Continentals, daily and autox. After about 6 months, I've come to the conclusion it's best to have a dedicated track set.

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for all the responses. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but that's why I asked.

So if I'm only going to run two sets of wheels (I don't think I want to store more than 1 extra set of wheels), I may just end up running my Michelin AS3+ on my stock PP1 rims as my default year round tire and make the second set of rims the 285/35 R19s running one the tires mentioned above.

Thoughts?

So for the track day, to/from track tire, I've seen the following suggested

Bridgestone Potenza RE71R,
BFGoodrich g-force Rival S 1.5
Hankook Ventus RS4 (seems to not be available in 285/35 R19)

Any others I should consider?

Anyone with experience/thoughts on the above (used several different tires) for race track? (I don't see myself doing as much autocross)

And just because, anyone try to summer daily drive any of the above, and what was the experience?

Thanks All.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
None of those are great daily tires. They’ll all be kinda loud at the minimum.

Full depth RE71R handle warm wet conditions on and have decent hydroplaning resistance. I get a little concerned and slow down in a downpour tho when they are worn. Rivals will be worse for hydroplaning due to all reports and their tread design.

I’ve daily driven on the RE71Rs. They’re stiff and noisy (at low speed it sounds like a hub is wearing out, and sometimes it sounds like you’re ripping duct tape off the road, no joke). The stiffness makes bumps a little harsher. I guestimate I’d get about 10k street miles out of a set if thats all I did with them.

I haven’t personally run the Rivals (they only very recently started selling 19” sizes).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks for all the responses. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but that's why I asked.

So if I'm only going to run two sets of wheels (I don't think I want to store more than 1 extra set of wheels), I may just end up running my Michelin AS3+ on my stock PP1 rims as my default year round tire and make the second set of rims the 285/35 R19s running one the tires mentioned above.

Thoughts?

So for the track day, to/from track tire, I've seen the following suggested

Bridgestone Potenza RE71R,
BFGoodrich g-force Rival S 1.5
Hankook Ventus RS4 (seems to not be available in 285/35 R19)

Any others I should consider?

Anyone with experience/thoughts on the above (used several different tires) for race track? (I don't see myself doing as much autocross)

And just because, anyone try to summer daily drive any of the above, and what was the experience?

Thanks All.
As Nightmare said, you probably wouldn't want to DD any of those. But driving to and from the track is fine. Depends what you're doing with it - long open track sessions? Or shorter track sessions/autocross stuff? You need to consider how much heat will be put into them and how durable they are in that context. Of the 3, the RS-4 is supposedly more durable/resistant to getting greasy too quickly, at expense of being slightly slower than the other two. For autocross and short track stints, or one all-out time attack run - the RE71R is supposedly the bees knees.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I may just end up running my Michelin AS3+ on my stock PP1 rims as my default year round tire and make the second set of rims the 285/35 R19s running one the tires mentioned above.
seconded.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
My first thought is to put on the Michelin PS4S, but I am concerned that 4 or 5 track days during a summer would completely wear them out.

I have a set of AS3+ on the original PP1 wheels for the winter months.

Thanks
It won't, unless you drive like a jackass.

I have about 8 track days and some 5000 street miles on my PSS and they have plenty of life left.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
One's a rock and the other is a pile of pudding.
that's taking it a bit far... The PSS appears to do a noticeably better job at the track while the PS4S' sidewall is a bit too soft, and has a decent number of delamination reports when pushed. I suspect people destroying the PS4S have tire pressures too low. I don't know why people use such a blunt instrument as PSI when perfectly accurate (enough) IR temp sensors are like $10.
Sponsored