Performance Pack cars and tire shops OEM staggered wheels

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Hello ..just wanted to post a few words of warning for all those running OEM PP1 and PP2 wheels if you ever:

1. get a flat fixed
  2. Have a shop rotate your tires
  3. Get new tires mounted on your OEM or custom offset wheels

Please check behind the tire guy to make sure your PP1 and PP2 tires /wheels go back on the right way. Here is what I mean: the PP2 and PP2 have different rims that are only meant for the front or rear ( unless you use a spacer for PP1).

If you place the rims on wrong they will go on but you wonā€™t get far because of clearance/rubbing issues possibly resulting in damage to your new tires, rim and or suspension bits. I learned today you can get about more or less 1000 feet before everything comes to a halt.

ā€˜ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Exactly, I had a reputable shop change our some tires on my 2019 PP2 and they screwed the pooch, almost left me in a jam ..stuck in traffic, cars speeding by me and one rear wheel damaged.

After having my car towed back to the shop the error was discovered but not after they had to pay the tow bill and agree to replace one rear tire and one OEM PP2 rim.

I did an inspection and it looks like the damage was limited to the wheel and tire but I am having the dealer look at it to make sure the shocks and hubs were not damaged.

Now I am not gonna bash the shop just yet because they did admit the goof, paid for the tow , reprimanded the tech and are replacing the wheel but my point is to be careful. I told the tech it was a staggered setup but he handed off to another tech who did the bulk of the work and placed one rear wheel on the front and one front wheel on the rear:facepalm:

Donā€™t be concerned about being a dick by asking additional questions and please check the orientation of the wheels before you pull off. Triple check for peace of mind.

thanks To Fly2high another member here for his premonition...it was ironic that something concerning the wheels was about to happen to me today.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-i-had-3-front-tire-rims.131189/#post-2707666

Also.. if anyone has a 2015 and up PP1 like I once owned, it is possible to run a square setup wheels and tires with all 4 four rear rims and 10mm spacer.. not sure about the PP2.

I love the PP2 rims , the stance , the poke and the color and will keep them OEM. I know others do here as well so please,please..check behind those techs.
Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Oof! Sorry to hear it. Glad the shop owned up! That would keep me as a customer. I have a shop I use have a bad day and try twice to put the big tire on the front rims. I was nearby and corrected them. Whenever I am able at any shop I use, I try to loiter and watch what they are doing.

I took my eye off the ball once and had a shop screw up a sub-frame connector install! Had another shop install running boards backwards! They were retractible boards too! Idiots!

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Ugh, that must a been a nightmare! If there's a Discount Tire anywhere near you, they did me yeoman service for 10 years at 4 different stores with the Terminator. It had staggered wheels like the PP2, 17x9 in front and 17x10.5 on the back. Once they got it set up in their computer on the first 4 wheel balance, never had to tell em again.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Stuff like this is why I get nervous for people to touch my car.

I had a Jeep that a tech forgot to tighten the lugs on. Made it about a block before the wheel was literally 1/4ā€ from falling off (it started wobbling and I pulled over ASAP). The tech couldnā€™t have given a shit less and I think he got fired that day, as he scoffed at the owner when he chewed him out about it. His reply was ā€œman I got other shit to doā€.

Glad theyā€™re doing the right thing and fixing it.

OP
OP
hemistar1

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Yes Iā€™m glad there stepping up. Never had issues with them before. They fixed a flat on my C7 and also my F150.. friendly guys from the tech to the store manger. I realize your only human that why Im not super pissed. Just a scary situation that couldā€™ve been worse if traffic was heavier..blessed :please:

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I always check when I get the oil change that they didn't rotate the tires as part of "The Works" package. They always ask and I remind them the wheels can't be rotated. But it is easy to tell when you look at the valve stem locations.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think we should open a thread and make it a sticky about what to look out for when servicing your Mustang. Already on the list are:

1. Proper tire/wheel installed in the proper location
2. They fill up the oil to the proper level
3. Put a dash cam on mute so only video is recorded. Not allowed to record conversations without at least one approval.

Sorry my woes about PP2 wheels did not prevent the damage. I guess we now know that you can put a front wheel on the back but you cannot put a back wheel on the front. Sorry you had to teach us all that one.

All the best,
Frank
Sponsored