Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello,

One of the things that can be displayed on the instrument cluster is the air to fuel ratio. What's the point of that?
If I had a carburettor and wanted to experiment with its tuning, then I guess the air to fuel ratio would be a good indicator of what I was doing. However, in a fuel injected engine this ratio is automatically set by the ECU and cannot be changed or influenced by external means in any way. So, what's it to me whether the air/fuel mixture is lean or rich, considering that I can't do anything about it anyway? What am I supposed to do with this information?

Is it just a beautiful but useless gimmick, or does it really serve some practical purpose that I'm missing?

Thank you.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
AFR is a critical thing to keep an eye on when driving hard, you don't want that to go too lean. For a stock car yeah it's pretty useless, but for others that are modding the cars it's a very useful feature. Salut.

1Slow5PointOh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium PP
It's actually helped me. I have long tube headers on my car and have been tuned by lund. I have had zero problems with my car, no hesitations, no codes, nothing. Recently though, my built in AFR gauge has been a static 14. Not moving in the slightest. I believe it's either an exhaust leak or a bad O2 sensor. I wouldn't have even known given the car still runs perfectly.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I keep mine up as one of the three gauges I can display in the centre of the digital display. Keeps a look out for me for the low pressure sensor in the fuel rail going bad.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I work with AFR's on modern engines every day. On a stock car, really it's just a cool gadget as was said above. However, if adding forced induction, long tube headers, certain CAI's.....you need to remap the ECU to recognize your changes. Otherwise, you can lean out the motor which results in a wonderful noise followed by many expletives.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I pay attention to it quite frequently especially during WOT and after release to check the snap back. Idle as well. It will help in trouble shooting certain issues with performance.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep, useful tool.. stock or modded.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I see. I hadn't thought about modifications. It makes sense now.
Thank you.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Or the vacuum gauge.

dg556

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
It's actually helped me. I have long tube headers on my car and have been tuned by lund. I have had zero problems with my car, no hesitations, no codes, nothing. Recently though, my built in AFR gauge has been a static 14. Not moving in the slightest. I believe it's either an exhaust leak or a bad O2 sensor. I wouldn't have even known given the car still runs perfectly.
Can i ask what it was before it being pinned to 14.0? I have just straight pipe after the cats and a cold air and my AFR will fluctuate between 13.8-14.1 all the time (except for closed throttle) IS this normal? Also very weird to me is when i get on the throttle i get the smell of exhaust filling the cabin and i also have cold air pouring in from under the steering wheel, i can not figure out why its happening and i am wondering if these issues are related or coincidental.

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Or the vacuum gauge.
I always wondered that myself on the PP cars. It seems much more useful to have oil temp there! Like the gt500s. I wonder if it’s possible to swap one in somehow.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I always wondered that myself on the PP cars. It seems much more useful to have oil temp there! Like the gt500s. I wonder if it’s possible to swap one in somehow.
I wish oil temp was displayed as a real temperature, instead of Low, Normal, High. What the hell is "Normal". Useless

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
IIRC you can swap in the oil temp gauge from the GT350, but the dial color can not be changed. Not that that would stop me.

I would much more prefer an oil temp gauge, but not enough to go tearing into the dash. As it stands now I have boxes of parts for mods sitting around. It's so bad that the Stage 2 PP kit I bought 2 years ago has yet to be installed.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
One of the most important things to pay attention to with modifications and tuning. I leave my display on gauge mode. 14.7 is the perfect ideal ratio. You want it to be under that under load, but if I saw it over that under load, I would be pretty worried and probably have it checked out. Rich is safe, lean blows engines.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
14.7 is the perfect ideal ratio. .
Actually, with E10 fuels, 14.1-14.2:1 is the ideal lambda target. Ford has been calibrating for 14.1-14.2:1 AFR since late 2010.
Sponsored