Sponsored

Any Gt350 owners have experience with Subaru Sti?

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
My Gt350 is my current weekend/track/fun car, and I'm definitely not selling it. She's a keeper for sure. I'm plan on replacing my current daily driver and am looking at the current WRX Sti as a possible contender. They seem to share similar characteristics with our Shelbys...no torque below 3500rpm, stiff ride, motor sound, crappy MPG and etc. atleast on paper. Anyone here have experience with them and how they compare to our GT350s? I plan on test driving one soon, but there's only so much you can gather from a short drive. FYI, I'm fine with the GT350s drive as a daily. Is the Sti NVH more harsh? Thanks y'all.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've never liked them.

The RS also rides harsh but you get less of a shitbox feel to it (in my opinion). Civic type R (FWD), while I've never been in one, is goofy looking but I guess it can't be beat in driving dynamics.

Golf R is the adult version of all boy racers, it rides well, it's fast as hell, available in a dual clutch and AWD.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Old platform and a still 300hp. I would definitely get a golf R . Better mpg and extremely nice interior.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
My Gt350 is my current weekend/track/fun car, and I'm definitely not selling it. She's a keeper for sure. I'm plan on replacing my current daily driver and am looking at the current WRX Sti as a possible contender. They seem to share similar characteristics with our Shelbys...no torque below 3500rpm, stiff ride, motor sound, crappy MPG and etc. atleast on paper. Anyone here have experience with them and how they compare to our GT350s? I plan on test driving one soon, but there's only so much you can gather from a short drive. FYI, I'm fine with the GT350s drive as a daily. Is the Sti NVH more harsh? Thanks y'all.
I have a lot of experience. Also have owned MKVII Golf R and a Focus RS. For a daily driver though what are you looking for? Personally I would consider the WRX over the STI. It has a modern DI engine, twin scroll turbo and makes max torque much lower in the rev range. The biggest issue is the garbage stock tune with horrible rev hang. If you tune it though it makes it so much better.

But it's a Subaru. Okay interior. Road noise. Suspect engine reliability. Good resale though and good AWD system for bad weather.

Golf R/GTI is the best daily IMHO. DSG version is actually very quick. Really nice interior and good tech. Very quiet ride, good MPG. Car feels much more modern than the Subaru and better put together. Steering feel though is not as direct than the Subaru's and the car feels very clinical. GTI should be on your list if you don't need AWD.

I would stay clear of the RS. Harsher ride, no longer being made, Ford service is poor with this car and parts are not always readily available (made in Europe). I loved mine but the service and support drove me away quickly.

I would also look into the new Hyundai Veloster N and Civic Type R. I test drove the Type R and its a great little package if you don't mind the over the top looks.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Thanks guys! Yeah, the golf R is a very high possibility. I used to have a mk6 gti which I loved. I’ve thought about the type R. Honestly, that “should” be at the top of my list....I just can’t get over the looks . Another one I was looking at is a Miata Grand touring with GT-s package.

I forgot to mention, I plan on taking my daily to the track too and alternate track duty between the gt350 and daily, hence me looking at fun performance cars.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks guys! Yeah, the golf R is a very high possibility. I used to have a mk6 gti which I loved. I’ve thought about the type R. Honestly, that “should” be at the top of my list....I just can’t get over the looks . Another one I was looking at is a Miata Grand touring with GT-s package.

I forgot to mention, I plan on taking my daily to the track too and alternate track duty between the gt350 and daily, hence me looking at fun performance cars.
If lived in LA, I would be all over the new ND Miata (especially the one with more power). I'd love one here in TX, but the drivers are terrifying and a Miata is just too small for all SUVs and brodozers

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If lived in LA, I would be all over the new ND Miata (especially the one with more power). I'd love one here in TX, but the drivers are terrifying and a Miata is just too small for all SUVs and brodozers
Miata

Is

Always

The

Answer

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Get the 19 Miata Club or GT-S with the new engine. You live in California, and the Miata is perfect (lol, I owned an ND as well). 30+ MPG. Great 6 speed manual, great for track. Lots of modern amenities. Mine had the Recaro/BBS option and with some suspension mods it is a really great car. Apple Carplay, heated seats, blind spot, etc, etc. Honestly I wished I could have kept my ND and my GT350, but needed the garage space.

In stock form they have a lot of body roll but you can dial that in very easy and there is a ton of aftermarket support. Mazda wants you to track it too and you will never get questioned about warranty work.

Just make sure you fit okay :)

IMG-3211.jpg

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Lol! The forum has spoken! Time to go test out an ND! I'll try and see whether they'll allow me to take on on the freeway. That's where I worry that road/wind noise might be killer.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Lol! The forum has spoken! Time to go test out an ND! I'll try and see whether they'll allow me to take on on the freeway. That's where I worry that road/wind noise might be killer.
Can you even go over 50mph in LA with all the traffic :)

Sponsored

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
My friend has a 2018 STI, drove it around a bunch of times. Clutch is super light (good or bad) ride is pretty stiff. My 17 GT PP rides smoother and gets better mpg. Sound is pretty good but not a v8. Steering feel on the sti is great imo, and the space is amazing. So much room in the back and truck, very roomy. Super easy and forgiving car to drive around and shift, but you have to rev it out to have some fun.

Overall its a really fun car, not sure if its what you are looking for tho. Hes actually about to list it for sale, you wont find one cleaner than his if you want me to set you up with him. I had a 2016 GTI before and that might be a better option for you (golf R) its overall smoother and more refined (even though mine was a lemon lol)

Good luck!

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I had one years ago, not much has changed, just better interior overtime. If you are buying new, i would consider a civic type R. When I had my STI, it was my daily. It was a good car at that time in my life. Transmission is solid, not much power after 6k rpm, car sounded great. I just wish i got the Evo. The Evo had better steering and better driving dynamics, but everything else STI was better.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
My wife got a 30AE a few months ago - it is an awesome car with all the options. Brembo seats have heat but are not near as deep as the GT350. I find the GT350 is more comfortable on long trips and the Miata is a lot of fun on short city trips. It is great having both a "big muscle" car for the track and a "go-kart" car for autocross.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I had one years ago, not much has changed, just better interior overtime. If you are buying new, i would consider a civic type R. When I had my STI, it was my daily. It was a good car at that time in my life. Transmission is solid, not much power after 6k rpm, car sounded great. I just wish i got the Evo. The Evo had better steering and better driving dynamics, but everything else STI was better.
Which do feel is better for daily driving? The sti or gt350?

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
My wife got a 30AE a few months ago - it is an awesome car with all the options. Brembo seats have heat but are not near as deep as the GT350. I find the GT350 is more comfortable on long trips and the Miata is a lot of fun on short city trips. It is great having both a "big muscle" car for the track and a "go-kart" car for autocross.
That was my thinking too. Miata for a daily, if I need a little more space, then the gt350. If I need even more space, then I’ll use my wife’s car.
Sponsored