GT500 vs ZLE

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Praising Ford for purposely limiting supplies and effing their customers. Then faulting GM for building enough to satisfy consumer demand which then results in discounts as a bad thing. I’ve truly heard it all.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Is there a head to head at VIR, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, etc. ?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I’m not one for review bashing but 4 seconds faster to 150 is “even”? - hilarious! Between that and being a full second off a novice run in the quarter makes me question the reviews validity and impartialness. That MPH though, hard to argue which one was spinning..

Better interior, faster quarter (I’m going with that), faster overall acceleration, better ride.....with the 350, it was about the whole experience and I believe that the target hasn’t changed with the 500.

had to come back and edit..... realize they say the 500 was .1 faster in the quarter but they also say the it was .3 faster just to 100! Basic math owns this review. The 500 is going to suck the paint off this car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Traind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
I’m not one for review bashing but 4 seconds faster to 150 is “even”? - hilarious! Between that and being a full second off a novice run in the quarter makes me question the reviews validity and impartialness. That MPH though, hard to argue which one was spinning..

Better interior, faster quarter (I’m going with that), faster overall acceleration, better ride.....with the 350, it was about the whole experience and I believe that the target hasn’t changed with the 500.

had to come back and edit..... realize they say the 500 was .1 faster in the quarter but they also say the it was .3 faster just to 100! Basic math owns this review. The 500 is going to suck the paint off this car.
Car and Driver does not test acceleration on a prepped drag strip. Essentially, they use a regular piece of tarmac to do their quarter-mile testing. The drag strip videos you watch maximize traction which is essential for a car like the GT500. On a regular piece of tarmac, the GT500 is missing all sorts of traction off the line and probably for several hundred feet. That's the difference in the quarter mile time. Car and Driver basically has one guy who consistently tests every single car they review for quarter mile times. All else being equal, that guy is going to beat the vast majority of people on this forum in quarter mile testing because he does this all year round.

The review basically said the two cars were a dead Heat. The Camaro won buy a hair width because it was priced $20,000 less. In the real world, you can get those cars well below sticker price so the pricing gap is even higher. I am not surprised that the ZL1 LE is a great performer. I am somewhat surprised that the incredibly stiff suspension on that Camaro was not more of a factor in the comparison. Yes, on the track I am sure it is awesome. But on the street, well, good luck getting your spouse to want to ride in that car. But for a track focused buyer who has another daily driver it is a huge value if you can live with the limited visibility and the rough street ride quality.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Well, maybe the question of what the manufacturer design intent was for creating each of these platforms. I'm reasonably sure that the Mustang's main focus is performance on a track or a road course. I would say also, that the Camaro's design intent would be the same. The Dodge I would suspect as their commercials would indicate are more about straight line performance. Nothing against the testers at Car & Driver or their evaluation criteria as they've heaped plenty of praise on the S550 platform recently, but I would test the cars in the appropriate environment they were primarily designed to perform in, and with a high level professional driver like Randy Pobst or even the Stig and let them weigh in.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Voodoo, you should join the road race crowd. You get to drag race out of every single turn for 25 minutes straight.
i dont even want to drag race this car due to levels of stress placed on the components.
being a novic on the course, i can think if a million other cars id rather learn with than the 500 lol

I give up @V00D00 , apparently I wrote too many words here to explain why a time slip doesn't exist for you to comprehend and at this point I'm thoroughly convinced you don't even understand the argument at hand so let me recap this for you.

9secondko said that the magazine people must be shit drivers because speed phenom posted a better 1/4 e.t. than they did in their test.

I corrected him in that you can't compare prepped track times from a private owner to an unprepped surface time from a magazine test to determine if they're good drivers or not.

You then asked why we should even accept "a street dragstip run" as a data point and across the last 10 posts I've attempted to explain why magazines don't test street cars on prepped drag strips.

You seem completely unwilling to understand that they don't test on prepped surfaces due to the massive advantage it gives otherwise traction limited cars and are now just angrily typing "show the slip" like it means anything at all. We all know high horsepower traction limited cars are faster on the on a stickier surface. We know the margin is wider between the Shelby and the ZL1 on the track than it is on the street.

Finally, independently tested Vbox within 0.02 seconds and 0.1 mph on multiple runs tested against the actual 1/4 mile timing lights. Sure seems accurate enough to me for comaprison sake.

i dont thin kyou realize im part of the early crowd of vbox users. i know what it is and is not good for, its pros and its cons.. and i will say it 1 more time- no organization or enthusiast in the world will allow a vbox, or dragy run as a certified time.
stop the excuses, go get a slip.

.5 seconds is an eternity in drag racing.
same guy that doesnt think the 60ft matters in a 1/4 mile run oh, and that the 0-60 and 60ft are the same.. so that says it all

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
i dont even want to drag race this car due to levels of stress placed on the components.
being a novic on the course, i can think if a million other cars id rather learn with than the 500 lol
Ford built a tough car. It's not as much stress as you might think. Plus, you take it slow road racing until you feel completely comfortable. As a novice, your driving instructor will make sure of that! You have to check your ego at the door at first though and that's very hard to do.

Man, there is NOTHING better than tracking your daily driver or a car you drive often on the streets. You get the deepest connection with the car with all that seat time on the streets and the track. That's why I don't buy track cars I can't drive on the street. It's about the connection for me.

The analogy I use when I think of drag racing and road racing is drag racing is like power lifting, but road racing is like hand to hand combat.

I think you'd become addicted to it and eventually kill at it.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
i dont thin kyou realize im part of the early crowd of vbox users. i know what it is and is not good for, its pros and its cons.. and i will say it 1 more time- no organization or enthusiast in the world will allow a vbox, or dragy run as a certified time.
stop the excuses, go get a slip.
This is what I don't understand. You keep arguing with me but I'm saying the same thing. You're the only one out here talking about "certified times".

My first post in this thread basically said you can't compare v-box unprepped surface times against drag strip times with timing lights. Your reading comprehension is some of the most appalling I've ever seen on an internet forum.

You can compare v-box unprepped surface times to v-box unnprepped surface times and drag strip times to drag strip times, but you can't mix them together and cross-compare.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
What are you talking about? That's a perfect car to learn on. In my HPDE group we have a 60 year old man who started with his Ferrari 458. He was slow AF 2 years ago, but last time I was at Road America he's out there killin it like a champ. Get out there ffs. You've got a missile wearing dance shoes you better at least try a track day, that's what it was build for.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
What are you talking about? That's a perfect car to learn on. In my HPDE group we have a 60 year old man who started with his Ferrari 458. He was slow AF 2 years ago, but last time I was at Road America he's out there killin it like a champ. Get out there ffs. You've got a missile wearing dance shoes you better at least try a track day, that's what it was build for.
If not, then take those brakes off that are the same size as a full miata! You'll drop some serious weight then, lol!

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Wait what? Why'd you mod it for more power then? Am I missing something here?

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Amazing that people will argue all day about their car's track performance, but wont actually take the car to the track themselves to learn wtf they are talking about.
Sponsored