Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

Its just bizarre. Ford is way focused on sales
Yes, he is high.

Why try to make something better if its already selling (regular mustangs) ? Why spend money?

It is a smart move if you ask me. Lets leave it at that. Meanwhile the competition offers more for less and even with a manual transmission. Pick one to your heart's content.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry, but the engine and diff did not overheat...and power on the GT was not cut. Care to make up some more excuses instead of stating the obvious? I'd love to hear them.

I pose a question again. What performance data proves that the ZLE can outperform the GT500 CFTP on a road coarse that was presented in that article....given the reference data I provided you? I've responded with data to prove my point. Now prove yours.
You proved nothing. I took my GTPP to a road coarse here in Joliet IL. The car lost power due to heat soak. It didn't go into limp mode but i could still feel the loss of power. Even on the dyno, fresh cool car made 20 more hp on the first run and when the iat temperatures started going up the car started to heat soak. This totally different than a limp mode. The GT350 has better cooling and better track aligned chassis, plus pulls all the way to 8200 rpm if I am not mistaken.

Now did you do your homework? Did you look at the data CarandDriver provided? Did you read the article very carefully ?

What are we going to call you when you join the camaro forums?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Another troll added to the ignore list. Fixed.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Curious, what performance in that article does the ZL1 1LE match or surpass? A meaningless 0-60 time? Braking distance? Are we now judging a cars performance on worthless metrics instead of meaningful ones? The GT500 was faster in the 1/4 mile (trapping 8mph more than the ZL1) and was 4 seconds faster to 150mph. And of course, as you said...no lap times for two cars meant for the track.

Funny thing is, camaro folks were bitching when the GT350R beat the ZL1 even though it lost in nearly every metric but won based solely on it's amazing driving experience. I sure hope you guys aren't claiming a victory based off of cheapness.
It would seem that the 110 hp advantage could / should have delivered a clear win for GT500. Especially since the weight difference was 200 lbs as opposed to the earlier guesses at a 400 lb weight difference. Meaningless or not, the stats most often quoted when discussing performance cars are 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. Trap speed is important, but at the end of the day it’s the time that defines the winner or loser. GT500 won that by .1 second. I actually thought it would be more. Suffer me an anecdote. True story from when I was a kid. I didn’t have driver’s license yet, but believe me that didn’t matter.

My older brother used to street race to pay for his gas and insurance. At the time he had a Ford Galaxy 500. One day he decides to race for titles. The other car was a ‘73 Challenger with I think a 283 6-pack and posi-traction. He came home with the Challenger. His Galaxy 500 crossed the finish line first and the Challenger blew by him just past the finish line. Clearly at a much higher trap speed. Didn’t matter. So we get home. I drove the Galaxy home, he drove the Challenger. So what, I didn’t have a license. Like that was the most illegal thing we did that day. Anyway, we lined up at a light and went for it. He smoked me. I asked him why he had the nerve to race the Challenger if he knew it was that fast. He suggested we switch cars. Got to another light. I’m driving the Challenger, he’s driving the Galaxy. He smoked me. He said he had been scoping out the Challenger driver for weeks and realized that even with positraction, the guy didn’t know how to launch and that he was pretty sure he could get to the line before the Challenger caught up. Exactly what happened.

At the end of the day Car & Driver’s comparison show that ZL1-1LE and GT500 CFTP are a drivers race. Can’t wait to see what they came up with on the track, since both are track focused cars. It looks like this comparison took place at Willow Springs so you gotta figure that they did run them on the road course. Probably next month’s lead article.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It would seem that the 110 hp advantage could / should have delivered a clear win for GT500. Especially since the weight difference was 200 lbs as opposed to the earlier guesses at a 400 lb weight difference. Meaningless or not, the stats most often quoted when discussing performance cars are 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. Trap speed is important, but at the end of the day it’s the time that defines the winner or loser. GT500 won that by .1 second. I actually thought it would be more. Suffer me an anecdote. True story from when I was a kid. I didn’t have driver’s license yet, but believe me that didn’t matter.

My older brother used to street race to pay for his gas and insurance. At the time he had a Ford Galaxy 500. One day he decides to race for titles. The other car was a ‘73 Challenger with I think a 283 6-pack and posi-traction. He came home with the Challenger. His Galaxy 500 crossed the finish line first and the Challenger blew by him just past the finish line. Clearly at a much higher trap speed. Didn’t matter. So we get home. I drove the Galaxy home, he drove the Challenger. So what, I didn’t have a license. Like that was the most illegal thing we did that day. Anyway, we lined up at a light and went for it. He smoked me. I asked him why he had the nerve to race the Challenger if he knew it was that fast. He suggested we switch cars. Got to another light. I’m driving the Challenger, he’s driving the Galaxy. He smoked me. He said he had been scoping out the Challenger driver for weeks and realized that even with positraction, the guy didn’t know how to launch and that he was pretty sure he could get to the line before the Challenger caught up. Exactly what happened.

At the end of the day Car & Driver’s comparison show that ZL1-1LE and GT500 CFTP are a drivers race. Can’t wait to see what they came up with on the track, since both are track focused cars. It looks like this comparison took place at Willow Springs so you gotta figure that they did run them on the road course. Probably next month’s lead article.
Great read. In illegal street racing, anything can happen. You're not racing just the car...you're racing the other person.

With that said, this video proves that the ZLE and GT500 CFTP are most certainly not a drivers race.

Every race, the GT500 consistently destroys the ZLE. Even with when the GT500 has a terrible reaction time, same results. Had the race gone on farther, the results would have been worse. If these races were from a roll, the results (again) would have fared worse for the ZLE.

That 0.1 second difference between the two cars is a terribly misleading data point. Everyone knows it....but for some reason a lot of camaro folks won't admit it. Anyone that races legally looks at the trap speed first....and knows these car's are most certainly not a drivers race at the dragstrip either. The trap speed difference between the ZLE and GT500 is greater than the difference between the SS and ZLE. Again, it's very telling on just how much more capable the GT500 is.

If you're on the highway with a ZLE, and a GT500 rolls up next to you, are you really going to think....man, these cars are only 0.1 seconds apart in the 1/4 mile. I think I can take him?

As for a track comparison, let's hope it comes out soon.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Lol funny how GT500 is lowered down to a roll race warrior for highways now, i m guessing with no speed limits and cops around. Meanwhile at stop lights on public roads they will be left in the dust by regular zl1’s, c8 vettes and even by some awd sport sedans. Great just great.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Lol funny how GT500 is lowered down to a roll race warrior for highways now, i m guessing with no speed limits and cops around. Meanwhile at stop lights on public roads they will be left in the dust by regular zl1’s, c8 vettes and even by some awd sport sedans. Great just great.
And all of them will be beat by electric cars from a stop light by electric cars that look like family sedans.

If people are really serious about this stuff then buy a used GTR and go aftermarket. There is a shop down the road from me and they eat RWD cars for lunch all day everyday. Much easier to put the power down and mods are everywhere for these cars.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I wish the .1 Camaro all the luck in the world. When they line up at a drag strip. Or from a high way roll. Etc. You boys are gonna need it! Magazine racing is one thing. In the real world. Its gonna be straight up murder!

Last edited:

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
...And it will still drag a Demon from that same stoplight.

Back under the bridge with you.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I think the GT500 showed its chops pretty well. It was on a high horsepower track, but the CFTP put a hurting on the Z51. I think stop light drag races are a thing of the past. It's a street legal 10 second car that you can drive every day to go buy groceries.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
I think the GT500 showed its chops pretty well. It was on a high horsepower track, but the CFTP put a hurting on the Z51. I think stop light drag races are a thing of the past. It's a street legal 10 second car that you can drive every day to go buy groceries.
I don’t know about the past but 99.99% of the people will drive these cars on the streets public roads and try to show off at stop lights. By the way, the Z51 with a price tag of $65,000 can be a 10 second car. Has anyone tested it with drag radials and skinny fronts?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Unlike the internet or magazine racing, in the real world there's always someone faster.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I wish the .1 Camaro all the luck in the world. When they line up at a drag strip. Or from a high way roll. Etc. You boys are gonna need it! Magazine racing is one thing. In the real world. Its gonna be straight up murder!
LOL

The fanboys who have some little hope after a couple magazine pubs are going to think their opponents in stock GT500 have modded their cars to high heaven when they go head to head.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
LOL

The fanboys who have some little hope after a couple magazine pubs are going to think their opponents in stock GT500 have modded their cars to high heaven when they go head to head.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve been hanging out in the staging lanes at Atco. And some green racer is sitting next to their car completely dumbfounded. As to why the magazine says their car should run A certain time. Yet they are anywhere from half a second. To a full second slower! And this is on a prepped track. Imagine these same knuckleheads at a stop light. The magazine racers are brutal with this one tenth of a second nonsense. This is what I picture seeing when all these 1/10 of a second camaro drivers are trying to prove motor trend was right at a stop light.

Sponsored