Favorite Motor Oil to use

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Been using Motorcraft 5W-30 Semi synthetic blend for over 12 years. It’s better than most so called “full” synthetics out there.

robert4fords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Anyone who runs Pennzoil ultra platinum, on sale right now at walmart.com. I think it's like 21 dollars for the 5 quart jug.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Royal Purple HPS 5w-30. HPS (High Performance Street) is Royal Purple's original formula with their synerlec technology. They were forced to change the formula for their API licenced oils to comply with the EPA's requirements for lower ZDDP content in oil to reduce emissions.

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mobil 1 is
Mobil 1 is not full synthetic anymore.....
Did a lot of internet research on oil history and Mobil1 started as pure synthetic a long time ago then oil makers got the courts to allow everyone to call their oil synthetic. You are correct. I use Amsoil and even Amsoil calls their oil 100% which still uses petroleum base oil. The term “synthetic” is kinda misleading. When I think synthetic, I think 100% no petroleum base oil and all contents in bottle are man made.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did a lot of internet research on oil history and Mobil1 started as pure synthetic a long time ago then oil makers got the courts to allow everyone to call their oil synthetic. You are correct. I use Amsoil and even Amsoil calls their oil 100% which still uses petroleum base oil. The term “synthetic” is kinda misleading. When I think synthetic, I think 100% no petroleum base oil and all contents in bottle are man made.
From what I understand, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is made fully from GTL technology now. It's a full synthetic process made from Natural Gass. The result is an extremelh pure base stock that has an additive "simar" to Penzoil Ultra Platinum, but not quite as many detergents. Also I have heard QSUD has added a small amount of PAO for extra protection. I find QSUD runs my cars slightly quieter than MOBIL 1.
RAT 540 tested QSUD, and says it has one of the highest pressure ratings for protecting metal surfaces. Around 120,000psi in his testing. I also add a bottle of Ceratec, and my engines runs smooth like butter.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The rat540 testing is not valid.

Secondly, I don’t think we can assume that GTL is in every bottle of ultimate durability. I believe it depends on the supply situation at the time. I believe mobil1 did a lot of substitutions at one point as well, but again due to supply. Since QSUD doesn’t say PurePlus or natural gas on the bottle there is no guarantee.

Btw and to the other poster’s point, the GTL base oil, as good as it is, only qualifies to be called a group 3...no different from any other crude-based “synthetic”. I believe they are now referring to it as group 3+ because it is clearly better than the other group 3 oils.

Last edited:

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The rat540 testing is not valid.

Secondly, I don’t think we can assume that GTL is in every bottle of ultimate durability. I believe it depends on the supply situation at the time. I believe mobil1 did a lot of substitutions at one point as well, but again due to supply. Since QSUD doesn’t say PurePlus or natural gas on the bottle there is no guarantee.

Btw and to the otter poster’s point, the GTL base oil, as good as it is, only qualifies to be called a group 3...no different from any other crude-based “synthetic”. I believe they are now referring to it as group 3+ because it is clearly better than the other group 3 oils.
The whole topic of best oil for our Mustangs is not easy to answer. Ford recommends semi blend. When I used the Ford stuff my engine ticked in certain situations, used Mobil 1 and tick was less noticeable. Now that I have switched to Amsoil No tick at all. So is it the additive package more important than the actual base oil? 5$ a quart= engine tick, 10$ a quart= no tick.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
My 19 GT calls for 5w20. Ford required specifications call for an API rating of SN+, so that is what i run, regardless of brand. Just picked up two 5 qt jugs of Kirkland, so will be interesting to see how it compares to all the known major brands . 25 bucks for 10 quarts of full synthetic oil is a smoking deal .

Sponsored

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I was about to purchase Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 in my 2015 GT. The car is 90% city and 10% highway. Then I read this thread. It appears that the "preferred" oil is as varied as the comments. Since most of my driving is city, I'm looking for extra protection as well as getting rid of a slight tic from the motor. The oil that Ford puts in is a blend and is good, but the "performance" boost is gone within a couple of months. From this thread, I guess the best recommendation is to put the Amsoil in as see what happens.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Please report back on your experience on the kirkland oil. I bought 10 quarts to use in the Fusion. I pick up the new Mustang in two weeks and plan to change the oil at 1000 mile mark. I haven't decided what brand oil I will use yet.

My 19 GT calls for 5w20. Ford required specifications call for an API rating of SN+, so that is what i run, regardless of brand. Just picked up two 5 qt jugs of Kirkland, so will be interesting to see how it compares to all the known major brands . 25 bucks for 10 quarts of full synthetic oil is a smoking deal .

robert4fords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
The whole topic of best oil for our Mustangs is not easy to answer. Ford recommends semi blend. When I used the Ford stuff my engine ticked in certain situations, used Mobil 1 and tick was less noticeable. Now that I have switched to Amsoil No tick at all. So is it the additive package more important than the actual base oil? 5$ a quart= engine tick, 10$ a quart= no tick.
Are you using 5W20?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium