Sponsored

Blown head gasket in my 2016 Ecoboost

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Thought I would share this with all of you

My car is an early 2016 build with a Cleveland engine. I currently have 61,242 miles on it with no powertrain-related mods other than a catch can and intercooler/charge-pipes (see sig). About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the car would start a bit rough for about 2-5 seconds, and then proceed to run smoothly. At the time I didn't notice any smoke or smells (although I was in the car so it was hard to see, and prior to this I never had the dreaded Ecoboost PCV-related smoke issue.

Below is what I checked at that time:

I checked and didn't see any DTCs in Forscan Lite. I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary when I logged some drives with Forscan. No issues with the low side fuel pressure vs desired, no issues that I could see with excessive knock/misfire, long term fuel trim cells were < +10%, octane ratio hadn't changed, and everything else looked fairly normal. Zero issues with coolant temperature or cylinder head temperature.

I checked my catch can and emptied it. It had a small amount of oil that looked typical from what I've emptied in the past. I actually replaced the hoses on it at the time since the original ones from Mishimoto were garbage and weeped oil out of them pretty much from day-1. They sent me new ones that are holding up fine so far. The catch can has been on the car since 1,500 miles (basically brand new) and I have never gutted or replaced the PCV.

I pulled the plugs (NGK 1 step colder-than-stock), verified the gap was consistent 0.028" and didn't see any wetness or fouling that I could see. They've been in there about 2 years, so I replaced them with the same units gapped to 0.028". At the same time I removed and cleaned the throttle body and other than typical light carbon buildup, it wasn't dirty. Once I did these two steps, I disconnected the battery and cleared the Keep-Alive Memory so that the car could re-learn all trims/adaptations.

I changed my oil about 1,500 miles prior to noticing the issue and the oil was pretty normal - dark, but I certainly didn't see any milkiness or anything strange. The car doesn't consume oil for the most part and I normally go ~5,000 miles between changes. I use 5W30 Mobil 1 with the Motorcraft filter. Regardless, I checked the oil and fill cap and didn't see any signs of coolant. The level was fine as well.

I checked the coolant when it was cold, and noticed that it was slightly below the MIN line on the degas bottle. I topped it off with the OEM orange Motorcraft coolant, and marked the cold level. I looked all over for leaks, but couldn't find any external leaks. I didn't pressure-test it, but just decided to keep an eye on it. I haven't had any issues with low/no heat in the cabin either.

The steps above didn't really seem to affect anything, and I noticed the cold start rough idle would only happen occasionally. Fast forward to last week, and I noticed that the cold start was accompanied by a bit of whitish smoke. Nothing too crazy, but more than what you would expect to see from condensation. It seemed to have a bit of an odor, but it was so slight that it was hard to tell if it was due to the car running in open loop when warming up or if it was a sweet antifreeze-like smell. It only did it on cold starts, and would clear up fairly quickly. I checked the coolant again, and it seemed to have gone down slightly (maybe 1/8" - 3/16") from the level I previously marked.

Yesterday I got an el-cheapo boroscope and decided to pull the new plugs and check them out as well as take a look in the cylinders. I did that this morning when the engine was dead cold. Cylinders 1-3 looked pretty normal. Cylinder 4 had a small pool of coolant in it which looked as if it was weeping down the side of the cylinder wall. The boroscope I used came with a mirror, but I couldn't get the damn thing to focus properly so I couldn't see the top of the combustion chamber or valves, but I did get a decent look at the cylinder wall and it looked consistent with what you can see of it in the pictures below. I didn't take a picture of the plugs unfortunately, but I didn't notice any fouling, however, the "rim" that the ground strap attaches to in cylinder 4 had some very slight moisture on it. The insulators looked fine and the gaps were the same as I set them. I pulled the oil cap again, which you can see in the third picture below. Possibly a bit of condensation, but looks fairly clean to me.

This is cylinder 3. Cylinders 1 and 2 looked pretty consistent to this one.
View media item 16478
This is cylinder 4. Note the coolant weeping down the side of the wall at the 8 'o-clock position.
View media item 16477
Here's the oil cap. I didn't notice any milkiness on the dipstick, but didn't grab any pictures of it either.
View media item 16476

After seeing this, I called the dealership this morning (Saturday) and let them know. I have the Ford ESP (Extra Care) that I bought from Flood Ford and it's good until 7 years, 75,000 miles, so I have coverage. I'm bringing the car in on Tuesday (I'll call back on Monday and see if I can bring it in that afternoon). I don't want to drive with it like this. I have the "enhanced rental coverage" with the "first day rental" option as well, so hopefully they'll take care of me. Does anybody have experience with using this?

Pretty frustrating because I'm honestly not very hard on this car, and I take pretty good car of it. Like I said above, the only powertrain-related mods I have are the catch can and the intercooler / charge pipes. Prior to this though, the only issues I've had with the car were the evaporator core which kicked the bucket 2 years into ownership in mid 2017, and the evap purge solenoid/valve that set the P1450 DTC code. I replaced the evap part myself as it was $20 and would've been an inconvenience to take it to the dealer. The evaporator core was replaced under the original 3Y/36K warranty.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Sorry to hear it. Let us know how it goes with the dealer. Do you have any plans for what you want to do next?

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Not too sure. It's definitely something that's covered under the Extra Care ESP, but I'm just paranoid that this has caused some sort of premature wear or damage and if they just replace the head gasket, something will bite me down the road.

I planned on keeping this car for about 6-7 years. I'm not sure if I should look at upgrading or what. I think it depends on what they find and fix. I still don't really have any plans on tuning or anything. I'll probably wait until I get something else to do heavy mods since I use this as a daily and need something reliable.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Assuming it's the head gasket (calling them again tomorrow), does anyone have any experience with a head gasket replacement? Anything to watch for? Like I said in my OP, the car never overheated.

Should I expect any long term effects? I haven't driven the car since Friday and don't really plan on driving it until I can take it to the dealer.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Stuff happens, replacement of head gasket is pretty straight forward. Deck the head and check for cracks. Now would be a good time to update better studs and gasket for future.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I raised two daughters and have changed more head gaskets than diapers. It's a pretty straight forward job. One thing i would suggest is have the dealership replace the head bolts with studs as the head does flex under severe load and the studs do a better job of keeping the head from flexing.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Thanks. I don't really plan on adding too any performance mods once it's complete, but I'll ask if they'd be willing to replace with ARP studs in that case.

The dealership I bought it from has a backlog and are trying to get me in ASAP. Called other dealers in the area and couldn't get ahold of anybody today (probably due to the holiday) but left messages. It's looking like Tuesday at the earliest that I can bring it in.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Update from the dealer, they've had the car since Monday, but they can't seem to replicate the issue on cold start. I told them again about what I saw in cylinder 4, and they're going to call me tomorrow.

I also asked them to pressure test the cooling system and look in cylinder 4. Does anybody have any advice in this situation? I'm pretty sure there's an issue here, unless I'm crazy or something.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
How did you make out?
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/posts/2808555/

I had also posted this in the thread I linked above in the "Issues, TSB, & Warranty" section.

TL : DR of the updates in that thread is that I ended up taking it back to the dealer with pics from my boroscope camera confirming coolant in the cylinder and demanded that they fix it. They properly diagnosed it this time and they replaced the head gasket, hardware, and a few other seals involved in that job.

I got the car back after about a month at the beginning of March and it seems to be running fine, although once quarantine started, I've hardly driven it. I think the repair did the job, but I'll continue to monitor the coolant level for a while.

Sponsored

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/posts/2808555/

I had also posted this in the thread I linked above in the "Issues, TSB, & Warranty" section.

TL : DR of the updates in that thread is that I ended up taking it back to the dealer with pics from my boroscope camera confirming coolant in the cylinder and demanded that they fix it. They properly diagnosed it this time and they replaced the head gasket, hardware, and a few other seals involved in that job.

I got the car back after about a month at the beginning of March and it seems to be running fine, although once quarantine started, I've hardly driven it. I think the repair did the job, but I'll continue to monitor the coolant level for a while.
Its absolutely ridiculous you had to do the leg work to prove what you were saying was true so Ford would fix it. Any mechanic worth a damn should be able to do a compression leak down test and bore scope a cylinder.

I knew a guy who broke a spark plug off in his cylinder he didn’t have the tools to fix it, took it to ford dealership to remove (paid them) and the dumbasses left a piece of spark plug in the bore (didn’t vacuum it out), screwed his cylinder up, blamed him and would not warranty it. He tore down the engine and you could see plain as day where the piece of Spark plug material scared the piston, cylinder wall and bent a valve.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Its absolutely ridiculous you had to do the leg work to prove what you were saying was true so Ford would fix it. Any mechanic worth a damn should be able to do a compression leak down test and bore scope a cylinder.

I knew a guy who broke a spark plug off in his cylinder he didn’t have the tools to fix it, took it to ford dealership to remove (paid them) and the dumbasses left a piece of spark plug in the bore (didn’t vacuum it out), screwed his cylinder up, blamed him and would not warranty it. He tore down the engine and you could see plain as day where the piece of Spark plug material scared the piston, cylinder wall and bent a valve.
No kidding - the thing that upset me the most about the first time I brought it in was that the smoking at startup was minor, and was really only present after the car had reached full operating temperature and had cooled overnight or several hours, so a pressure test of the cooling system would've definitely revealed the leak. I'm sure a leakdown test would have as well.

They told me over the phone that they did both tests and found no leaks. I emailed them one picture I was able to get with the camera, and the guy said that it was "normal". I picked it up the first time with the intention of bringing it to another dealership and because they needed their rental back. When I looked at the paperwork after I picked it up from that visit, all they did was start it up and look for smoke, then concluded that it was "normal condensation", which it may have been if they never fully warmed it up. I picked it up on Saturday so no one was really there to complain about it to, plus I didn't have all of the photos and videos that I later took with the camera. That's when I decided if I wanted to have my car fixed I had to diagnose it myself...

I had called dealers all over Houston, and none were able to get the car in for at least a month. I really didn't want to drive it with the leak. Lucky I was able to get it fixed before the quarantine, and the second time I brought it back the dealer worked with me and put me in a rental F150 for about a month for free, so they made it right in the end.

I'm not an automotive technician or anything, but I do understand that people often bring cars in to shops absolutely convinced that they have a problem when they have no clue what's going on, so my goal with the pictures was to present some undeniable evidence in case they thought I was trying to BS them.
Sponsored