Ford 7.3 gas chassis dyno

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It's not progress because it wasn't mean to be progress to begin with. They designed this engine to make the power and torque as needed in a run of the mill (albeit expensive) work truck not an exotic aluminum high revving sports car.
While I agree with you, there are some that wholeheartedly believe this motor is, in fact, ford’s way of sneaking some sort of race engine-in-disguise out to the public.
Sponsored

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
From what I understand those LS7s are ticking time bombs. Not enough guide for the exhaust valves, or something? You're probably going to want to fix that issue. And if you are adding a cam with greater lift than stock, beware that not all the fixes will take care of the issues with valves dropping and destroying the engine.
Ok so 14 years later, ford builds an engine with 75 hp less from 20 more cid. Maybe they’ll be more reliable or maybe not, only time will tell. My point is that saying this new ford engine has great potential, all you have to do is change the compression displacement cam porting tune intake manifold and exhaust and boom! 600 hp is a bit ridiculous. The LS7 did it a long time ago with way less parts required.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
While I agree with you, there are some that wholeheartedly believe this motor is, in fact, ford’s way of sneaking some sort of race engine-in-disguise out to the public.
I can definitely see them doing something like that, however in this day and age of fancy engines it's hard to see an iron block pushrod engine being this "race engine" in disguise. I could believe the R Voodoo engine as being this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok so 14 years later, ford builds an engine with 75 hp less from 20 more cid. Maybe they’ll be more reliable or maybe not, only time will tell. My point is that saying this new ford engine has great potential, all you have to do is change the compression displacement cam porting tune intake manifold and exhaust and boom! 600 hp is a bit ridiculous. The LS7 did it a long time ago with way less parts required.
I don't know why you think a truck engine and a Corvette engine should be the same. It's obvious that Ford knows how to build engines with 100 hp per liter naturally aspirated as they have done that. The LS7 doesn't make much HP for being 7 liters.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I don't know why you think a truck engine and a Corvette engine should be the same....
I don’t! That’s my point, actually. The 7.3 isn’t a performance engine.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I don’t! That’s my point, actually. The 7.3 isn’t a performance engine.
Correct, it's not, but given the right parts, it could be. And that's all I was trying to say.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
The 7.3 engine is so new. I can hardly wait for two more years to see what the 7.3 engine will be like. Be fun to see a race version in a Fox Mustang.
so tell us... instead of trying to sound cool

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
what kind of power are gm's truck engines making? Because thats the real comparison.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I agree. Truck motor vs truck motor the 7.3 looks pretty good. But a race motor it is not...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Did someone say '7.3 in a Foxbody'?

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
what kind of power are gm's truck engines making? Because thats the real comparison.
Gm also brought out a new gas truck engine for 2020 it's basically a larger displacement LS, it's a 6.6L and it makes 401 hp and 464 tq, slightly less than the 7.3 from ford.

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did someone say '7.3 in a Foxbody'?

That’s not possible!11

It’ll never work because it’s just a truck motor! That’s fake news and camera magic!

Haha. Cool to see the first (I’m guessing) confirmed swap.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Who said it wasn’t possible?

I suppose installing any ole truck motor into a 2700 lb car makes it an instant race motor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder how long it will be before we see some aftermarket heads and intake for the 7.3.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
.....Then it's explain that Ford put TQ limits that cuts power......
There is huge power to be found with the 7.3 with just a tune...
This just in....5star tuning was able to bump it up from 370 to 385 rwhp in an 87 tune and to 400 rwhp on a 93 tune.

For reference, the other truck v8 (f-150 5.0) made 345 rwhp stock and 400 rwhp as well on a 93 tune.

It has been argued that one of these engines is being held back by the factory tune.
Sponsored