Sponsored

Limited-Edition Shelby GT350, GT350R Heritage Edition Package

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
This is a great thread! Thank you Wildcardfox for posting all of that info and the pictures!

I have a Kona Blue (no stripes, no options) 2020 R on order and can't wait to get it and threads like this make me happy to join the Shelby nation!
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I got a brighter white, and no radio or AC. A true heritage trait.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Thanks for posting some terrific pictures of not only some very cool cars but also of Jim and many of the OVC family and SA. We really appreciate and especially myself included you taking time to provide all of Shelby/Mustang enthusiasts with an insiders look with respect to all things Mustang, Shelby and especially the remaining OVC gentlemen that made this all happen back in 1965, 1966 and 1967.

As far as my time spent speaking with Jim Marietta about all things Shelby Mustang and in particular the original competition cars and now the new OVC Shelby GT350 Competition cars I can honestly say that the hour or so that Jim spent with me is one of the highlights of my 50+ years around all things Mustang.

What an incredibly kind, thoughtful, interesting and genuine gentleman to spend time with and can only imagine what it is like to be in your shoes in order to rub shoulders with these icons on a regular basis.

With respect to Jim Owens and this HEP option being his brainchild for the 2020 GT350/R, I recently spent some time with Jim as I wanted to fully understand the story and background as to how the HEP option for the 2020 GT350/R models all came about and once he provided the background and details as only Jim can it was a very interesting conversation to say the least.

If it was not for me intending to retire hopefully later this year I can honestly say that I would be all in on one of the 36 OVC GT350 Competition cars and of course the donor car would have to be a "K" code body just as I had back in the day.

Thanks again for posting such cool stuff and can't wait for my car to arrive hopefully this coming Spring!
Most welcome. Shelby and the story has become apart of my family so it’s extremely personal to tell the facts correctly—I’ve become know for deep dive articles like the 1967 GT500 Designer article that I just released last week https://driveline-mag.com/2020/01/13/a-legend-the-designer-behind-the-1967-g-t-500/

You or anyone else who is interested in the history of how we got here with our cars might like it.

It’s been a pleasure knowing and befriending these legends. I’m happy that many have become close friends and it really shows you, ultimately, what Carroll Shelby built—he built a family.

Good luck in your cars everyone.

No matter if it is an Heritage edition, base model, 2015, base R, electronics package, or 1 of 13 in Lead foot Gray with no stripes and a black roof—they are all incredibly special cars that have a direct connection back to the greats at Shelby American including Shelby himself, Bondurant, Ken Miles, and Jerry Titus. Our cars—the second generation of the GT350/GT350R—are an honest and one of the truest second acts of a car that encapsulates every aspect of what made the original cars so great. And that’s not just me saying that, that is me trumpeting Chuck Cantwell who got to drive one of the new GT350R’s.

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Thanks for posting some terrific pictures of not only some very cool cars but also of Jim and many of the OVC family and SA. We really appreciate and especially myself included you taking time to provide all of Shelby/Mustang enthusiasts with an insiders look with respect to all things Mustang, Shelby and especially the remaining OVC gentlemen that made this all happen back in 1965, 1966 and 1967.

As far as my time spent speaking with Jim Marietta about all things Shelby Mustang and in particular the original competition cars and now the new OVC Shelby GT350 Competition cars I can honestly say that the hour or so that Jim spent with me is one of the highlights of my 50+ years around all things Mustang.

What an incredibly kind, thoughtful, interesting and genuine gentleman to spend time with and can only imagine what it is like to be in your shoes in order to rub shoulders with these icons on a regular basis.

With respect to Jim Owens and this HEP option being his brainchild for the 2020 GT350/R, I recently spent some time with Jim as I wanted to fully understand the story and background as to how the HEP option for the 2020 GT350/R models all came about and once he provided the background and details as only Jim can it was a very interesting conversation to say the least.

If it was not for me intending to retire hopefully later this year I can honestly say that I would be all in on one of the 36 OVC GT350 Competition cars and of course the donor car would have to be a "K" code body just as I had back in the day.

Thanks again for posting such cool stuff and can't wait for my car to arrive hopefully this coming Spring!
Forgive me for touting this article and pictures from Wildcardfox from last years Shelby Bash. https://driveline-mag.com/2019/11/25/a-look-inside-the-2019-shelby-bash/ My team and I run the track portion of the event and Rick Titus and Jim Marietta were kind enough to allow me to take Jim's car on track. Like PP0001, I am looking at retiring soon but damn, it makes me want to go back to work just to be able to purchase one. There are a lot of critics here when it comes to Shelby American and Shelby International. The Bash is not an inexpensive trip. I can say with confidence, Shelby does not profit from it. But, never would I have been able to talk to Jim, Chuck Cantwell, Bob Bondurant, Peter Brock, and Allen Grant. Im not talking a autograph session, Im talking one on one conversations. I was Camila Pardo 's driving instructor last year in his Ford GT. I see a lot of older folks longing for the glory days and complaining about the new stuff. Your missing out. You can have your cake and eat it too. If it sounds like Im selling memberships, that is not my point. My point is to let everyone know you can be a part of something special if that is important to you.

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I got a brighter white, and no radio or AC. A true heritage trait.
The original cars were not R models. They were competition models. Yes, the R (at that time, race) stuck because it was easier to say. You dont put radios in competition cars and race wheel to wheel. If you are competitively racing you R, I would tend to agree but, I have not seen too many 350's in actual competition. In general, all the 350's. In my opinion, owe their legacy to the original. And I believe they do it extremely well

Sponsored

2011gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt350
Out of curiosity what was it like driving the ovc model to the current generation of r models...that is if you drove it?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Out of curiosity what was it like driving the ovc model to the current generation of r models...that is if you drove it?
The current model is so easy to drive in comparison. But the 65 was a brute, you have to drive it. The engine was extremely strong. The only knock I had was the Shifter which was just like 65 :(

The 65 was a blast

2011gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt350
Thanks for the information...would love to get one...it’s cheap compared to an original but still a lot of money.

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
Did anyone else happen to be at Barrett-Jackson this past weekend and took any photos of the Heritage Edition GT350?

Sponsored

2011gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt350
A person can dream...it would be a huge stretch and I probably would need to live in it lol!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well worth it. Actually better then the original
Agreed that the money spent on one of these 36 new generation competition cars is well worth the money and can only imagine driving one of these bad boys especially compared to the original competition cars that now command over $1 million dollars.

If I recall correctly it was back in 2006 when the first 1965 competition car was sold for $1 million dollars with that vehicle setting the tone for the remaining competition cars.

When speaking with Jim Marietta recently I asked him many questions one of which surrounded the independent rear end used on these new OVC cars.

Of course he brought up Klaus Arning's name when it came to the independent rear ends that Klaus engineered and developed for the AC Cobra and race cars back in the day.

I was fortunate to have numerous discussions with his son Ralph prior to him retired from Ford with him also was a terrific person to converse with and can only imagine having Klaus' DNA involved with these OVC competition cars let alone the rest of the original OVC team.

Yes, a lot of money for one of these OVC Competition cars but worth every penny and then some in my humble opinion.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Just these....
BA91E67E-7773-4CBF-A889-8B6886A7E9B8.jpeg
5BCE8B20-A77C-4144-AA02-DC2AF5C80E80.jpeg
Nice pictures and thanks for posting.

Not sure if you noticed but on this pre-production HEP unit it still had the Red seat and side bolster inserts which is standard on the regular R models whereas the HEP R's will have those Red inserts deleted and will come with all Black seats.

chief_charlie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Lots of late-model Mustangs
Nice pictures and thanks for posting.

Not sure if you noticed but on this pre-production HEP unit it still had the Red seat and side bolster inserts which is standard on the regular R models whereas the HEP R's will have those Red inserts deleted and will come with all Black seats.
The seats look like they are all black (enlarging the original photo) with a red "R" at the top center of the seat back. The are no red inserts on the sides of the seat back.
Sponsored