Sponsored

very slow site

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
M6g has been slow for me for months, as of today after the migration message appeared/disappeared its shockingly slow, like 20 seconds to post. Replied to a pm earlier and it didnt even send. Just loading a page is taking 5-10 seconds, searching is even worse.

Fwiw my internet is fine
Out of all the people on this forum surely there has to be more people experiencing this? This has been going on for a while for me.
Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Slow here too, Actually its worse on the new server then the prior server. And I have a 1GB connection (940D/880U)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Lord have mercy, that's some available BANDWIDTH, dude! Fiber source no doubt is my guess but nonetheless, I'm envious.

FWIW, I believe the former server was beyond capacity in performance and that's the reason for the switch, at least that is my humble opinion.

That said, if we're all on the new server and the performance is actually worse (at my end for sure,) than it was before the changeover, something isn't right in ServerVille.

Let's just hope that the folks are hard at work and if they're reading this, a short post to keep us informed would be nice. (If it's somewhere I haven't found already, my apologies.)

Be nice to wake up in the AM and see lightning fast response. Heck, let's give 'em a couple days, I'm sure they've earned it.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I agree that it's now slower than before.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Lord have mercy, that's some available BANDWIDTH, dude! Fiber source no doubt is my guess but nonetheless, I'm envious.

FWIW, I believe the former server was beyond capacity in performance and that's the reason for the switch, at least that is my humble opinion.

That said, if we're all on the new server and the performance is actually worse (at my end for sure,) than it was before the changeover, something isn't right in ServerVille.

Let's just hope that the folks are hard at work and if they're reading this, a short post to keep us informed would be nice. (If it's somewhere I haven't found already, my apologies.)

Be nice to wake up in the AM and see lightning fast response. Heck, let's give 'em a couple days, I'm sure they've earned it.
Yes it is fiber, Verizon Gigabit Fios. I work from home, and I also host cloud backups, and my own website. So the bandwidth is a very nice cushion to all the traffic that goes back and forth all day long.

I think since they moved to a new server, they need to optimize the website to the new setup. or clear the cache holding the backup data. Also being that it moved to a new server with a new location most likely, the DNS normally is 48 hours at min to point to the new location. So I'd say we might have to deal with this until Tuesday, anything after that would require a closer inspection for the cause.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
each of these pages has quite a lot of "assembly" of a slew of different components. I don't have first hand familiarity with this forum software but the components are straightforward"enough.
  • PHP: 5.6.0+ (PHP 7.2.0+ recommended)
  • MySQL: 5.5+ (MariaDB / Percona also compatible)
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • Common PHP functions must not be disabled
There are well-established scaling strategies on that mix one of the biggest wins being a layer 7 load balancer which can direct the 90+% of read traffic to a set of "read only" servers that can be auto-scaled on load, and posting (there's a definitive URL pattern that indicates a WRITE action) can be directed to a writable DB instance.

I wonder how efficient (or not) the database schema is. and connection management is. Other tricks like KV stores and periodically re-computed elements (eg. the "similar threads" box, the top level treads listings for each sub-board etc).can dramatically lower the the load on the interactive elements.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys for whom the load time is really slow, open your browser's "developer tools" and log the page element load times you can help pinpoint what's being slow.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You guys for whom the load time is really slow, open your browser's "developer tools" and log the page element load times you can help pinpoint what's being slow.
ok so it's much better right now, virtually everything is loaded from my disk cache. but not really a fair test as 90% of the forum users are probably asleep due to time difference.

One thing it is doing is polling the server every 20-30 seconds to check for alerts/PM's etc. each of these is taking half a second, occasionally 2-3 seconds. Would definitely turn that functionality off on a server that's struggling (if it is).

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Been slow on my end for quite some time. A little better today, but i don't expect that to last.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if a DB Index is missing or we've hit an inflection point (post count?) where the inefficient SQL is starting to really bite. Some of us are experts in the field, Mr. Admin.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Very slow for me also.

I can make a sandwich between waiting for pages to load.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems the server found a few more gears (6-speed now a 10 speed?) because the site is humming right along after the second (unplanned?) overnight outage.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We've made some changes and everyone should experience much faster load times now. :like:
Will there be a post-migration technical writeup for those of us who geek out on such things?
Sponsored