Sponsored

New 2019 GT350R owner coming from a Porsche 911 - first impressions!

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Shelby GT350R
Congrats on the R. As a P-car owner here, I also still love my ‘17 R as well. Enjoy yours and that’d be cool if you can add another 911 in the future!
Very cool....just noticed I wrote 992.1 above instead of 991.2...what do you have?
Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Congrats on this one. Welcome to the club:)

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Very cool....just noticed I wrote 992.1 above instead of 991.2...what do you have?
A 964 C2 and a 991.2 GT3... I had a 991.2 Carrera before and that was such a fun car to drive as well. Anyway enjoy driving that R!​

Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome and congrats! I was in the same boat at first. I sat in a R seat and found it slightly uncomfortable. Then sat in the base 350 seat and found it was the same as my gt500. So, ended up finding the car I currently have, sat in the seats and test drove it, man I don't know what it was but I was really comfortable in the R seat I previously thought was uncomfortable... Still enjoying the seats and the wife enjoys the ride more than my gt500.

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome and congrats! I was in the same boat at first. I sat in a R seat and found it slightly uncomfortable. Then sat in the base 350 seat and found it was the same as my gt500. So, ended up finding the car I currently have, sat in the seats and test drove it, man I don't know what it was but I was really comfortable in the R seat I previously thought was uncomfortable... Still enjoying the seats and the wife enjoys the ride more than my gt500.
The seats after two weeks ownership are starting to affect me now though. Not to the point of regretting my decision but to the point of wishing there was a way to make the butt section a little wider. I was thinking of maybe a padded seat liner that would raise my butt higher which in turn should lift the outsides of my thighs off the hard plastic inner bolsters. I wonder if anyone else has tried this?

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIRST TRACK DAY REPORT!!!
So yesterday was my first track day. We went to MSR Houston for a SRD event (Stress Relief Day). The drive from my house was 2hours and was ironically one of the most stressful things I had done in a while...very wet and traffic was a snarl with wrecks everywhere. I had 1100miles on the car and had followed all the break in procedures properly. Also did an oil change at around 850miles.

It drizzled and rained yesterday but was dry when we arrived at the track around 8:30am. The track was still wet though and as slippery as snot, so in my brilliant thinking I decided to put the car in "Slippery" mode and take it easy going around the track. I just didn't feel like offroading my two week old car just yet:-) Slippery mode was a big mistake - just horrific to drive like this. I was not able to drive around some bends any faster than 30mph before the tires let go. It was demoralizing. I did this for the first two sessions but by 11am the track was a lot drier and I put it into track mode.

HOLY SMOLLEY!!!!!

In track mode, I did not recognize the car and all the reasons why I bought the R came roaring back and any and niggly complaints were quickly forgotten. This car is a TRACK beast...it is much better on the track than my 911 Carrera S (991.1). And that car was awesome on the track. The 350R clung to the road like it was on rails. I was stunned! Long sweeping bends that I was taking at 55mph were now at 90mph. Tight bends that I previously took at 30mph I could now take at 55mph. I was able to keep the car in 2nd and 3rd gear for much of the track but needed to get into 4th on the straights. Only 120mph top speed but thats fine for now. The rev matching was incredible btw and this is so needed when you downshift to 2nd on a corner. The car just loves to rev and rev. And the sound as you take it to 8250rpm again and again and again...with both windows down. Just incredible. Most fun I have had with my clothes on for a long time!

The tires took a beating but that was expected. I actually didn't touch the street pressures (should have let out 2psi when cold) so I think that would have helped some. I also was unable to adjust the camber because my camber plates haven't arrive at the dealer yet. The alignment shop I went to the day before the track was not able to add any more negative camber in the front than what is setup for street (-1.0deg). So next time I will have the plates and will adjust to -2.2deg. Lower tire pressure and higher negative camber will give me better lap times. The best lap for the day was 1m50sec. I wasn't pushing as hard as I could because I don't have a tow hook installed. I just knew how much I could push the car before it would let go, plus I knew this track very well. For reference the best lap time in my 911 was 1m53sec. So I think I can get into the 1m45sec next time at MSR.

Other feedback for those who are interested would be the recaro seats. They are amazing, but I still felt myself sliding out at high Gs. Next thing I need to get is the harness.

Track App - lap timer is a no go. I have no idea how this thing works but I am guessing you have to push OK at the exact same time for every lap. I was unable to find a place on the track where I was driving calmly enough and not furiously flooring it or breaking or shifting to be able to find the OK button with my thumb without looking down and making this happen. Instead I used the track app on my phone.

All in all a great track day with awesome track buddies and very much looking forward to the next track event. Love this car!!!

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome report. So are you looking at different seats or just adding the harness belt and bar to the stock setup?

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome report. So are you looking at different seats or just adding the harness belt and bar to the stock setup?
Thanks. For now I am going to keep the stock Recaro seats and add the harness. Also considering roll bar.

Sponsored

Tarmac02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Funny how a lot of our stories follow a similar theme with the Porsche/gt350 comparison. For me, it had been years since I owned a sport car and I was shopping low mileage used 911s. At the Audi dealership next to my local Porsche dealer they had a '16 gt350 track pack... One test drive and I was hooked. Bought a very well taken care of '17 from an OCD gent a week later.

Haven't regretted the decision, but the 911 itch is one I still have to scratch.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’ve had two 911, a 997.1 4S and a 997.2 4S. Have the 350 now but when I retire and move to Mn another 997.2 4S manual or the rare GTS4 is going in the garage to keep it company. With Aerokit, if I ever find one. With snow tires and delving into some buried screen setup to tell it it’s got snow tires, the 911 4 S can easily get through winter snow.

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny how a lot of our stories follow a similar theme with the Porsche/gt350 comparison. For me, it had been years since I owned a sport car and I was shopping low mileage used 911s. At the Audi dealership next to my local Porsche dealer they had a '16 gt350 track pack... One test drive and I was hooked. Bought a very well taken care of '17 from an OCD gent a week later.

Haven't regretted the decision, but the 911 itch is one I still have to scratch.
Yes these comparison are common...for me it was the 911s, the GT350/500, Z06 and also the Alfa Romeo Gulia Quad. Amazing time for lovers of high horsepower performance cars to be alive.

OP
OP

911GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had two 911, a 997.1 4S and a 997.2 4S. Have the 350 now but when I retire and move to Mn another 997.2 4S manual or the rare GTS4 is going in the garage to keep it company. With Aerokit, if I ever find one. With snow tires and delving into some buried screen setup to tell it it’s got snow tires, the 911 4 S can easily get through winter snow.
I’m with you...making room in the stable for another 911 as we speak. (What the wifey doesn’t know won’t kill her haha). The 4S though, awesome car in the slippery stuff...and those hips!!!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Yup, fat bottom 911s make the world go around.
Sponsored