Sponsored

Magneride GT - Extended Wheel Studs and Slip-on Spacers

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I am starting to think about getting my car ready for a couple of light track days in 2020 and have already ordered the following to get me started:

Ford Performance 4.09 ring and pinion kit and installation kit
Ford Racing Toe Knuckle Bearings
BMR CB007 front subframe brace (2-point)
BMR CB005 rear subframe cradle lockout kit
BMR SCB766 rear cradle centering sleeves

However, I'm also aware that I'd like to put spacers on my car for a better look and ever so slightly wider track, and I'd like to add camber bolts as they are a cheap way to dial-in the alignment at the factory ride height.

I have a Magneride car and I think I read somewhere on here that the studs are slightly longer than the studs on cars without it. I don't want to use bolt-on spacers for a car that will see track duty as I think longer studs and slip-on spacers are far safer.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy longer studs, and ones that aren't too long to take the spacers I am considering?

For spacers, I am thinking 15mm in the rear and 17-20mm up front will be perfect once the car is aligned. I am targeting -1.8 to -2.0 negative camber up front and somewhere around -1.3 in the rear. I assume this is about the limit for an aggressive road setup that can manage track days and tyre wear?
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OPMustang.com has a selection of studs in different sizes, but for 20mm, thats probably too long for the 1/2” longer studs, you may need the 1” longer parts. (1”=25.4mm)

your camber goals are conservative. I daily on 2.7’ front camber and 1.9’ rear and still get 15k miles out of a set of summer street tires.

2.0 degrees of front camber is not really enough to save your tire shoulders from being worn away on a road course, you’d really like 3 deg or more, but chances are your strut holes will limit you unless you open those up.

For your first track day in this car, don’t feel like you have to do too much or spend too much. Now if you’re planning a full season of track days...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
2.0 degrees of front camber is not really enough to save your tire shoulders from being worn away on a road course, you’d really like 3 deg or more, but chances are your strut holes will limit you unless you open those up.
short of strut mount surgery, anyone combine camber bolts to get say 1.5-1.7 with the camber plates set to 'zero' and when it's track time just move the camber plate setting? That should easily get you into >3 territory wouldn't it?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
short of strut mount surgery, anyone combine camber bolts to get say 1.5-1.7 with the camber plates set to 'zero' and when it's track time just move the camber plate setting? That should easily get you into >3 territory wouldn't it?
Thing is, camber bolts only get you camber at the expense of strut to tire clearance, so you can’t get much that way. Most track cars will already be using most of the available clearance for larger wheels and tires.
Sponsored