Sponsored

Dear Mustang Tire Snobs.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably the only one with 17's that posted here, but the Hankooks that came with the car have 15k mi. on them. They are quiet, wearing well, steer OK, didn't blow out at 125, and look cool with tire stickers IMHO, as long as I stay away from curbs.
IMG_8328.jpg
Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Look up Firestone firehawk Indy 500s. I had them on my daily driver ‘11GT and they were great and also cheap. I think I paid ~$600 for all 4 275/40/18s. I love the Michelin’s. But when I found out one rear tire cost $322 when I had a nail in my tire (that was thankfully repairable!) I started to consider other options when it comes to the day tire replacement comes.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
LOL! Thanks for all the chuckles guys. I don't know where to start, so I'm going with this.
OP: I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't trolling but your comment that "95% missed the point" is absurd. 90%+ don't agree with you but there's no reason to think any of them missed the point. Apparently, you were even insulted when someone suggested that you could enjoy your car by going for a nice drive instead of going to cars and coffee.
You commented that going to meets is part of car enthusiast culture. It's A part, but so are many other things. I've never really been a fan of these meets but some people like them. I'd rather go to an autocross, DE, time trial, etc. To each, his own. If you aren't enjoying these meets, for what ever reason, find another way to be active in the world of cars.
For what it's worth, I don't lack empathy. I can't tell you how many times I've had a random stranger in a parking lot walk up and tell me how much they like my car. The conversation ends abruptly as soon as I mention it's an Ecoboost. The thing is, that doesn't bother me, I bought the car I wanted, a "fun commuting car." So it's not the fastest Mustang (the EB 6 speed without EBPP is actually the slowest Mustang currently produced) but I have fun driving home from work, as intended. It's far from the best handling car in the world (or even in my driveway) but again, it serves it's purpose. You can't change the people at the meets you attend, so it's best if you learn to be OK with the choices you've made.
That said, your tires are a deciding factor when it comes to the limits of your car's performance. I'm still on the stock Neros and I'm not impressed at all, I can't imagine that they get better with more HP. I've spent spent enough time at autox and track events to have an idea what MY limits are. I haven't really explored the limits of my car and I won't try it on the street. Still, I have found the limits of these tires and it will be worth it to me to get something substantially better when these are replaced.
i've never been a Michelin fan. Back in the day they had a reputation for longevity but poor performance, they could have been made out of granite. They came out with better performance tires in the 90s but there are plenty of other brands that make good tires. I have been a Pirelli fan in the past, but their current products are past the expiration date. I've owned everything from Hankooks to Hoosiers, including Bridgestone, Continental, Falken, Firestone, Fuzion, General, Goodyear, Kuhmo, Michelin, you name it. I don't need to swap back and forth between 3 sets of tires on my DD/commuter car anymore. When the time comes I'll pick from the top few all season performance tires and I'll be satisfied with my choice. Michelin, Continental and a couple others make an all season tire that can rival all but the best summer tires when it's nice out and still not get me killed in the winter. You pay your money and you take your choice.
The only thing I am not understanding is why you bought a GT if yours willing to use tires that my Ecoboost can outdrive. If you're that worried about saving a few bucks just get rid of 4 cylinders. My savings at the gas pump will save me more than I could save on a set of tires.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My car has the stock Pzero Nero 19's it came with on it and will until they need replacing. They seem okay so far but I do think Pirelli's are overrated somewhat from earlier experiences with them & I expect I'll buy something else when the time comes. As for car meets meh, I can take or leave them. I go to one near my place maybe once a year and its always the same people with the same cars so it gets old pretty fast for me. And I usually just park my car out with the regular peasants as I don't think its unique or special enough for people to want to see. It seems silly to me to care whether someone likes my tires or not though LOL. But yeah they are pretty lame if they did make a point of it though too.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Tires affect all manners of performance, not just that last 10% of grip if you will. As a general rule it's not a good thing to cheap out on. The PZero Nero is pretty bad imo. They came stock on my car and the rears lasted 8K and traction and wheel hop was not good even when new. When in good condition and heated up they are okay going around a corner, but that's assuming you have no basis for other comparison. There are much better all seasons and any decent summer tire there's no comparison. This is about as nicely as I can put it.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Tire snob?? I’ve had nothing on my cars and trucks but top shelf tires since I was poor white trash back in the late 70’s. As soon as these piece of shit Zero’s wear out the Pilot Sports are going on.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Are you even reading the original post? I never said anything you just did or implied it. Had nothing to do with the physical tires or their purchase . Had everything to do with some car peoples attitudes toward others .. go back and READ the original post . :)
I just went back and read it twice. Frankly, there's not much there there. You have a non-focused paragraph rambling on about people at car shows, tires you like, money you don't like to spend, and a ton of other stuff thrown in. The second paragraph adds neither readability nor cogency.

If you're going to whinge that people don't understand the point you're making, you should, you know, try to make sure that you've managed to make one.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
LOL! Thanks for all the chuckles guys. I don't know where to start, so I'm going with this.
OP: I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't trolling but your comment that "95% missed the point" is absurd. 90%+ don't agree with you but there's no reason to think any of them missed the point. Apparently, you were even insulted when someone suggested that you could enjoy your car by going for a nice drive instead of going to cars and coffee.
You commented that going to meets is part of car enthusiast culture. It's A part, but so are many other things. I've never really been a fan of these meets but some people like them. I'd rather go to an autocross, DE, time trial, etc. To each, his own. If you aren't enjoying these meets, for what ever reason, find another way to be active in the world of cars.
For what it's worth, I don't lack empathy. I can't tell you how many times I've had a random stranger in a parking lot walk up and tell me how much they like my car. The conversation ends abruptly as soon as I mention it's an Ecoboost. The thing is, that doesn't bother me, I bought the car I wanted, a "fun commuting car." So it's not the fastest Mustang (the EB 6 speed without EBPP is actually the slowest Mustang currently produced) but I have fun driving home from work, as intended. It's far from the best handling car in the world (or even in my driveway) but again, it serves it's purpose. You can't change the people at the meets you attend, so it's best if you learn to be OK with the choices you've made.
That said, your tires are a deciding factor when it comes to the limits of your car's performance. I'm still on the stock Neros and I'm not impressed at all, I can't imagine that they get better with more HP. I've spent spent enough time at autox and track events to have an idea what MY limits are. I haven't really explored the limits of my car and I won't try it on the street. Still, I have found the limits of these tires and it will be worth it to me to get something substantially better when these are replaced.
i've never been a Michelin fan. Back in the day they had a reputation for longevity but poor performance, they could have been made out of granite. They came out with better performance tires in the 90s but there are plenty of other brands that make good tires. I have been a Pirelli fan in the past, but their current products are past the expiration date. I've owned everything from Hankooks to Hoosiers, including Bridgestone, Continental, Falken, Firestone, Fuzion, General, Goodyear, Kuhmo, Michelin, you name it. I don't need to swap back and forth between 3 sets of tires on my DD/commuter car anymore. When the time comes I'll pick from the top few all season performance tires and I'll be satisfied with my choice. Michelin, Continental and a couple others make an all season tire that can rival all but the best summer tires when it's nice out and still not get me killed in the winter. You pay your money and you take your choice.
The only thing I am not understanding is why you bought a GT if yours willing to use tires that my Ecoboost can outdrive. If you're that worried about saving a few bucks just get rid of 4 cylinders. My savings at the gas pump will save me more than I could save on a set of tires.
OK so this will be my last reply because IM either not making my point or no one is getting it. I could care less about the tires, its not really about the tires (yall made it about the tires). Not sure why that's the point everyone is focusing on. My point is the shit head car guys who go to shows or elsewhere and unless you buy and use what they do you are trash... It just so happens that tire choice not being michelin is one of these things they have attitudes about. I don't care what they say I don't care what tires they use I simply dont care... what bothers me is their attitudes and them wanting me to care (the actual point of the thread) You can not care what someone thinks or says and still be annoyed by hearing it al the time. Which is the point im at. As for actual tires not sure the hate for the zeros I have no issues with them. As far as your tires making it so you can out drive me... well that's subjective. Tires don't make anyone a good driver or a better driver.

IM not insulted ..not sure where anyone got that from.
The 90 percent not agreeing with me??? there's nothing here to agree with or not agree with as this thread topic is NOT ABOUT THE TIRES!!!! I was simply venting about the poor attitudes of elites Car part buyers and their shitty attitudes toward others that don't agree with them, sorta like this thread. So I am being told I need to accept others opinions and be open minded yet look at the replies they are not open to mine.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
False. What are you on your period ? Real men drink whiskey.
I like bourbon, But Im probably wrong about that too LOL lets make this a drinking thread that wil be more fun.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IM not insulted ..not sure where anyone got that from.
I'm not sure, I didn't see anything that I'd consider an insult, but it appears that you were insulted based on your reply.
Was the insult necessary?
Maybe you're right, about 90% missing the point. If the point wasn't about the lack of acceptance of your tires it's probably closer to 99%, myself included. Are you sure you didn't just forget to have a point in the first place?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I drive by car meets all the time, I just don't stop. I'm too busy driving. Which I would be doing today, but it's to damn cold for my Michelin Sport Cup 2s that came on my car to be out driving in cold, or wet weather. Maybe I can get set of wheels and Michelin A/S 3s by next year to drive in the cold and wet, because that's what I want.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
OP..the guys and gals at the car meets are not really friendly and they are not your friends. A friend wouldn’t make you feel bad about a decision, walk away from you or belittle you.

Bottom line ...make your decisions based upon your budget and your research. You got a great car with lots of power...enjoy it!

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I went back and read the first post & just realized this guy is running cheap Pirelli's and is not running Michelins!! WTF is wrong with you OP?

:)
Sponsored