Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That's exactly what my 16GT sounded like. It wasn't an exhaust leak. Started right after the 1st oil change. I also thought and hoped that it was an exhaust leak, but that wasn't the case.

Other examples:

Also, people have cured this noise as well as the rattle noise with ceratec. No oil additive will cure an exhaust leak as you obviously know.
Sponsored

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'll add in that CeraTec worked for me as well. Motorcraft Semi Synthetic 5w30. Fresh oil change without, it ticked just like the video above. Drained and refilled with one 300mL bottle of CeraTec, and tick is gone.

2015 with 68k miles.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That's exactly what my 16GT sounded like. It wasn't an exhaust leak. Started right after the 1st oil change. I also thought and hoped that it was an exhaust leak, but that wasn't the case.

Other examples:

Also, people have cured this noise as well as the rattle noise with ceratec. No oil additive will cure an exhaust leak as you obviously know.
Both clips you posted sound like the BBQ tick. The other posters clip sounds like an exhaust leak and nothing like the ones you posted. Maybe he can post another to compare before and after Ceratec.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Both clips you posted sound like the BBQ tick. The other posters clip sounds like an exhaust leak and nothing like the ones you posted. Maybe he can post another to compare before and after Ceratec.
Are you serious? They sound identical lol. Here's another tick example.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just performed my third oil change today...Had 9K miles or so on past interval and oil life indicator was at 1%. Fill was Mobile 1, 10w-30 + 1 bottle of ceratec. Before I changed the oil, it had been months since I heard the tick and engine was very quiet with the old fill. After changing to another round of Mobile 1, 10w-30, I fired the car up and the infamous tick was back almost instantly...weird. Added one bottle of Ceratec, while car was idling, and within a few seconds the engine tick was gone and also was just quieter overall. Amazing how well this stuff works,

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just performed my third oil change today...Had 9K miles or so on past interval and oil life indicator was at 1%. Fill was Mobile 1, 10w-30 + 1 bottle of ceratec. Before I changed the oil, it had been months since I heard the tick and engine was very quiet with the old fill. After changing to another round of Mobile 1, 10w-30, I fired the car up and the infamous tick was back almost instantly...weird. Added one bottle of Ceratec, while car was idling, and within a few seconds the engine tick was gone and also was just quieter overall. Amazing how well this stuff works,
Dirty oil can be "slicker" oil from the combustion blow-by. Even though it's not a diesel there is blow-by that dirties the oil and probably acts like soot in a diesel to make the oil lower friction.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...mpt-to-understand.108944/page-64#post-2775246

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dirty oil can be "slicker" oil from the combustion blow-by. Even though it's not a diesel there is blow-by that dirties the oil and probably acts like soot in a diesel to make the oil lower friction.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...mpt-to-understand.108944/page-64#post-2775246

Best to dirty up that oil right away with a bottle of slippery German Goo. :crazy:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best to dirty up that oil right away with a bottle of slippery German Goo. :crazy:
LoL ... or find a buddy who just did a low mileage diesel oil change and put his used (soot conditioned) oil in the Coyote. :cwl:

Sponsored

Grom13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT mustang
If ford put their name over the ceratec bottle and supplied it to everyone that came in with the tick under warranty , this thread wouldn’t even exist , ceratec works simple as that

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If ford put their name over the ceratec bottle and supplied it to everyone that came in with the tick under warranty , this thread wouldn’t even exist , ceratec works simple as that
Ford use to have guys use this for the BBQ Tick ... which isn't made any more.

Motorcraft XL-17 Oil Additive-2.jpg

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ford use to have guys use this for the BBQ Tick ... which isn't made any more.

Motorcraft XL-17 Oil Additive-2.jpg
Well, it's not as crazy as the guy who put a tablespoon of carbon black facial make-up in his oil.

One thing I did find out that is somewhat positive. Ceratec not only has primarily hBn, but comes with a smidgen of Moly, and also an added dose of Calcium as a cleaning agent. I'm guessing it's to prevent the extra friction modifiers from sludging in the engine.

I found this out searching for others who had Blackstone do UOA's on regular used oil, then used oil with Ceratec after the next OCI to see what the difference was.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it's not as crazy as the guy who put a tablespoon of carbon black facial make-up in his oil.

One thing I did find out that is somewhat positive. Ceratec not only has primarily hBn, but comes with a smidgen of Moly, and also an added dose of Calcium as a cleaning agent. I'm guessing it's to prevent the extra friction modifiers from sludging in the engine.

I found this out searching for others who had Blackstone do UOA's on regular used oil, then used oil with Ceratec after the next OCI to see what the difference was.
From thier Product Information Sheet (attached PDF)

Product information PI 26/13/06/2018
Cera Tec

Description
Micro ceramic solid lubricant suspension based on
hexagonal boron nitride (BN) in selected base
oils. The laminar graphite-similar structure reduces
friction and wear and prevents direct metal-to-metal
contact. The < 0.5 ÎĽm particle size guarantees optimum
filter flow properties and protects against depositing
of solid lubricant particles.
Sponsored

Attachments