Question About PPF

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
I’m looking to get PPF on my car. But Am I the only one terrified about having film cut on the body panel with a blade?!!.. Just about all videos I have seen, the film is laid out on the car and the installers then cuts it . Are all the installs done this way?.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's the best way to get the perfect fit without using precut films. Pros cut it to fit and know what they're doing. If the shop has good reviews, trust them to do a good job.

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
Some installers will have a massive plotter to allow it to pre cut the sections to fit the body panel, thus reducing the need to cut. Also when they do cut it, they are only scoring it, allowing it to be torn away but its not going all the way through to the panel itself. As someone else said, find a shop with good reviews and do your homework on the differences between different PPF brands, the two most popular are Xpel and SunTek, I have SunTek and love it and no one can tell that PPF is installed unless I point it out.

OP
OP
el-guapin

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Thank you for that info. Gonna start checking out different shops. If anyone knows of any reputable places in the New Orleans area let me know.

Some installers will have a massive plotter to allow it to pre cut the sections to fit the body panel, thus reducing the need to cut. Also when they do cut it, they are only scoring it, allowing it to be torn away but its not going all the way through to the panel itself. As someone else said, find a shop with good reviews and do your homework on the differences between different PPF brands, the two most popular are Xpel and SunTek, I have SunTek and love it and no one can tell that PPF is installed unless I point it out.

Sponsored

ts03691

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I just had mine done last week (film and ceramic coating). Where I had it done had the plotter that cut the film before application and they just folded it over. The only place I see a seam (and it is only visible if you know to look for it) is on the hood vents and right on the fenders corner right by the headlight. But the car looks amazing. To me anyway.
Film Application 2.jpg
Film Application.jpg
Finished.jpg
side view.jpg

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
What kinda cost would one expect for that film?

ts03691

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
What kinda cost would one expect for that film?
Here is what I paid for Full Hood, Full Fenders,Mirrors, Bumper, Headlamps, and Fog Lights - 1,700
Added Rocker Panels for $450
I also had some paint correction done that added $350.

Not cheap but it is pretty.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
And was just the film? How much more did the ceramic cost?

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
About tree fiddy.

Sponsored

ts03691

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Ceramic Pro Silver package was $1,1100. Entire car, glass and wheels. Probably could have found a cheaper package but not many options where I live.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have a 19 GT ruby red looking to get a PPF on the front clip, hood and mirrors. I do t really see a need to do the sides of the car on the rear an I missing something?

I've noticed with just over 1k miles I'm already been nicked a few times on the front clip. It's frustrating
I just had mine done last week (film and ceramic coating). Where I had it done had the plotter that cut the film before application and they just folded it over. The only place I see a seam (and it is only visible if you know to look for it) is on the hood vents and right on the fenders corner right by the headlight. But the car looks amazing. To me anyway.
Film Application 2.jpg
Film Application.jpg
Finished.jpg
side view.jpg
Sponsored