Sponsored

Worth getting the extended warranty? 2017 GT/CS

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So I purchased a used 2017 GT/CS back in september from a hyundai dealership and it came with the base 3 year, 60k km warranty, My warranty will be up this september, I'm debating buy the extended as I just found out you can buy extended warranties. I think I saw that there is one for 8 years and 200k km. Is an extended warranty worth it? I drive it year round here in Montreal. I don't know how these cars fair out of base warranty.

Thanks
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
You should still have the Powertrain 5 years 100,000 km remaining as well after the base warranty runs out.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Its a personal preference to get it or not. I went ahead and got it for mine (however, mines a R and will comeout ahead if I damage a wheel). But if you plan on modifying it, then it could place the warranty on some components in jeopardy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There is no hard yes or no. It depends. Yes your powertrain is still under warranty but there are so many other things that "could" go wrong. Our cars are very dependent on electronics. Many feel the extended warranty is worth it just for that alone.

It also depends on what kind of extended warranty you are looking at. It has to be an official warranty from https://www.ford.ca/owners/packages/extended-service-plans/

No 3rd parties, these are a rip off. If you can buy one of these plans through dealer selling online you can save yourself a lot of money. As an example go to Flood Ford and see how the offer these plans. I did this for my 15 EB and it was worth every penny.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8q3lr-ON5wIVBpSzCh3kzQsAEAAYAyAAEgJL4PD_BwE

Buying an extended warranty is no different than buying any other kind of insurance. It all depends on your risk tolerance and your willingness/ability to pay for repairs out of warranty. Only you can answer this question.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Oh I didn't know the power train came with 100k/5y.

It has a catback already. I'm adding a few steeda suspension parts (stop wheel hop kit) and thinking about an '18 intake/pmas cai/tune. That would be it.

My computer had a hiccup already. I had my phone paired and wasn't able to skip to the next song and then my phone couldn't pair and nav stopped working, showed the map but not where I was. I had to reset the the system (did it myself) and it's been fine since and I updated it after too. I don't know if this is common as I haven't had a car with any kind of touch screen/entertainment system before.

My grandpa bought a 2011 explorer (first model year, I told him not to) and he had the full info-tainement package which the nav/screen/computer controlling it died a month out of warranty and cost him 2g to fix. I really don't want something like that to happen lol.

Yes I know 3rd party warranties are junk, I didn't clarify I was looking through ford. My bad. Well as long as I can still buy an extended warranty through ford, even though I bought it used from a hyundai dealership, then maybe it may be worth it. I was debating on trading for an 18+ but only because of the transmission so my wife could have the option of driving it it but I love manual (even though they are slower now lol). I'm sure the extended warranty will help trade in value if I do trade it (probably won't though)

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
For me depends on the warranty provider. Find out who actually pays the claims on the EXtended warranty then research that company. Some of these extended warranty companies have no problem taking your money but come time to pay out if something happens and... there are 3 pages or reasons they can and will deny your claim or simply just don't ever honor anything. Just research them and if people like them it might be worth the piece of mind for you.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Oh I didn't know the power train came with 100k/5y.
OK, lets start here.......See downloads below.

It has a catback already. I'm adding a few steeda suspension parts (stop wheel hop kit) and thinking about an '18 intake/pmas cai/tune. That would be it.
Now this all depends on your dealers willingness to handle modifications under warranty. That said the catback should be OK. Same thing with the suspension. The tune can be a real issue. You can read the many threads on here to determine your willingness to go down this route. Tunes and warranties usually to not mix well.

My computer had a hiccup already. I had my phone paired and wasn't able to skip to the next song and then my phone couldn't pair and nav stopped working, showed the map but not where I was. I had to reset the the system (did it myself) and it's been fine since and I updated it after too. I don't know if this is common as I haven't had a car with any kind of touch screen/entertainment system before.
This is a normal Sync stuff. You did the Master Reset and its fine. It will most likely stay that way forever. Of course this would be covered if you buy the top tier warranty. Repairs can get expensive if it should happen.

I'm sure the extended warranty will help trade in value if I do trade it (probably won't though)
Only if you sell if privately. As a trade in it has no value even though it is transferable.

Attachments

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
For me depends on the warranty provider. Find out who actually pays the claims on the EXtended warranty then research that company. Some of these extended warranty companies have no problem taking your money but come time to pay out if something happens and... there are 3 pages or reasons they can and will deny your claim or simply just don't ever honor anything. Just research them and if people like them it might be worth the piece of mind for you.
I almost missed this too.

Yes I know 3rd party warranties are junk, I didn't clarify I was looking through ford. My bad.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I almost missed this too.
LOL yeah I saw it after I posted then was eh I wont delete mine LOL Ford extended is almost as bad after seeing what he's got on car. Ford wil flat out tell you no if tuned or mess with intake at all. If tuned and aftermarket intake I wouldn't waste the money on a warranty with ford they will almost 100% not pay a claim.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Well currently has a catback and I have the steeda suspension parts in a box waiting just waiting for spring to come around.

Are you sure they would say no to an '18 intake/pmas and tune? I thought it depended on the dealer? Ford extended warranties don't go through ford? so they are 3rd party??

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well currently has a catback and I have the steeda suspension parts in a box waiting just waiting for spring to come around.

Are you sure they would say no to an '18 intake/pmas and tune? I thought it depended on the dealer? Ford extended warranties don't go through ford? so they are 3rd party??
If you are tuned and the dealer submits a claim that is engine/drivetrain related Ford will deny it 99.99999% of the time. If you are going to tune, take the money for the warranty and put it in the bank just in case.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ok, that is something to consider. But the extended warranty would still cover electronics?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ok, that is something to consider. But the extended warranty would still cover electronics?
Well that's where the "should" comes in. The tune changed the ECU and Ford could say that was the cause of anything electronic. Ford will take any out they can to not have to accept a claim. Now remember I said should. Most likely not but that's a risk you need to be willing to take. The consensus on this forum it tune at your own risk.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So what you are saying is I should find a dealership that won't care about some minor mods?
Sponsored