Engine sputtering with Whipple gen 5

Ak2705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My car is sputtering at idle only not when I drive. I’m trying to figure out what the problem could be put the kit on about 2k miles ago?
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Vacuum leak somewhere? Weird things happen when air gets in that isn't measured by the MAF sensor.

OP
OP

Ak2705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I checked everything seems to be connected. It only does it at idle. When I’m driving there’s nothing. And when I cold start it and the rpm are higher you can’t feel anything. It only does it when it’s warm and idling at a light or parked.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Could be something you can't see easily. I had a too fast idle on the yellow Terminator that turned out to be a small hole melted in the bottom of a PCV tube. Had to pull off every vacuum hose and tube to find that. That one threw a too lean code every so often, but not regularly. Keep looking.

OP
OP

Ak2705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The idle doesn’t really move from what my eyes can see. If you look at the exhaust and the gases coming out for a second it cuts out and the gases continue to flow. Like a small misfire. I sent my tuner a log and he said that everything is perfectly fine in the logs and the car is very happy. I’ve never owned a car like this maybe it’s normal. The first tuner that I wanted to go with didn’t want to tune my car because of the injectors I have that came with the kit so maybe that’s the issue I dunno it’s just bothering me makes me feel like something is wrong with the car.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Any chance you could post a small video and/or sound clip to hear what the sputtering sounds like? IIRC, my Terminator had an occasional "burble" at idle. I don't remember it starting after the Whipple was put on, but it ran perfectly and I never gave the idle a second thought.

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don’t have a Whipple, but I have a Stage 2 Edelbrock. At random times during a warm start, it will stall right after starting. I think it’s the Edelbrock tune, which has other issues as well.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, my Terminator did that too. Just an annoyance I learned to live with, bc the car ran perfectly orherwise.

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This is my first canned tune out of five superchargers I’ve owned and this has never happened before. I’ll go with a custom tune soon to smooth things out.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ak2705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
@Andy13186 if that is it Im going to feel like an idiot. After I had my Whipple installed I installed a driver side catch can and I noticed that one of the wires on the VCT sensor was nicked. It wasn’t nicked just the insulation of the wire came off. Because the wire is really tight and the coolant hose for the Whipple is running across it but when I saw that I taped it up with tape do you think that might be the issue. I saw your thread mine doesn’t die it just like cuts out and it seems like it’s getting worse. Is there any way to test it or check it?

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Andy, did the dealer find any trouble codes for the bad solenoids? Just curious. Making a list of all the strange things these cars do just in case, doing that I'm new to the S550 gang.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Andy, did the dealer find any trouble codes for the bad solenoids? Just curious. Making a list of all the strange things these cars do just in case, doing that I'm new to the S550 gang.
No codes were active while I was still having the issue

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Between this, powdered metal oil pump gears, cranky drive by wire throttle and a few other bug-a-boos, I'm wondering whether I bought a time bomb. At least the old beast Terminator started with a real key and had a cable to the throttle.

OP
OP

Ak2705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
These cars have a lot of issues from suspension squeaking, body panels not aligned, paint chipping, creaking interior, ticking motor and a lot more haha.
Sponsored