OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So another question was raised to me by a friend. He questioned the safety of an etune (protune) vs a Dyno tune. My issue is that there are no Dyno tuners in Phoenix that specializes in the Ecoboost platform that I know of. There is one that does a lot of wrx's so they have experience with turbo 4's but not likely much with the eco. That being said would it really be better to give the Dyno tuner a shot or is it best to stick with an etune from PD Tuning?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
why not do the obvious thing and run the Ford Performance tune?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So another question was raised to me by a friend. He questioned the safety of an etune (protune) vs a Dyno tune. My issue is that there are no Dyno tuners in Phoenix that specializes in the Ecoboost platform that I know of. There is one that does a lot of wrx's so they have experience with turbo 4's but not likely much with the eco. That being said would it really be better to give the Dyno tuner a shot or is it best to stick with an etune from PD Tuning?
The only real difference between and etune by some one that specializes in tge Ecoboost Mustang and a local dyno shop is the amount of time to get the tune dialed in. With the etune you have to data log your car and send the file to the tuner for review and revisions, this could take several iterations. Where one trip to the dyno shop would get you a final tune.

I would be much more comfortable with an etune from someone that specializes in the Ecoboost than a local shop that has no or very little experience with the Ecoboost.

Deleted member

The etune will also allow the tuner to see what the car is doing under real world driving conditions, temp/load etc. This will allow the tuner to fine tune more than on the rollers, I believe there is a slight misconception that just because the car is tuned on the dyno and you can see the numbers that your putting down that is somehow a better time, this is not always the case.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Out of curiosity given the mods I have in my signature. If I got a pro tune from PD tuning, what kind of a hp and tq increase am I looking at over stock. Bear in mind I use 91octane. I would still run 91 after the tune. No desire to try E30.

Deleted member

Out of curiosity given the mods I have in my signature. If I got a pro tune from PD tuning, what kind of a hp and tq increase am I looking at over stock. Bear in mind I use 91octane. I would still run 91 after the tune. No desire to try E30.
Stock eco's dyno between 245-260whp depending on the car and dyno.

I put down 309whp 379wtrq on a cobb canned tune with my mods on 91

Then did 324whp 399wtrq on my 91 octane pd tune

on E30 it makes 345whp 420wtrq

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Stock eco's dyno between 245-260whp depending on the car and dyno.

I put down 309whp 379wtrq on a cobb canned tune with my mods on 91

Then did 324whp 399wtrq on my 91 octane pd tune

on E30 it makes 345whp 420wtrq
Is that with the turboback exhaust or stock exhaust?

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
That was all 3inch catless downpipe with my tomei.
Okay so with stock exhaust I would be looking at peak gains of 40 to 50 rwhp and tq, and Likely higher gains on the top end. Good to know. Appreciate it just trying to gauge how worth it the tune would be.

Sponsored

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Have any of the tuners gotten access to transmission tuning yet for the autos????

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Have any of the tuners gotten access to transmission tuning yet for the autos????
I talked to Ryan at PD and he said there are a couple of customers with test vehicles putting some miles on now but he didn't give an ETA on when it will be released, for the 10 speed that is.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked to Ryan at PD and he said there are a couple of customers with test vehicles putting some miles on now but he didn't give an ETA on when it will be released, for the 10 speed that is.
Good good. Hopefully there's something available by the spring/summer.

gatornek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
My whole point is that you can just as easily blow your motor on a FP tune
I've been watching these forums a LONG time (both this one and the 'other' one), and I have yet to see a case of an Ecoboom on an FP tune. Have you? Honestly curious.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been watching these forums a LONG time (both this one and the 'other' one), and I have yet to see a case of an Ecoboom on an FP tune. Have you? Honestly curious.
I almost did mine the other day, not thinking...cold day...punched it...car lagged heavily and the oil pressure jumped.
Sponsored