Sponsored

Anyone running methanol on a PD blower?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Anyone using methanol on a PD blower here? Experiences?
Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I’ve considered running it on my whipple just for the cooling but from what I gathered it takes quite a bit of wmi with a PD blower.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm gonna run straight methanol. Apparently because it flashes off quickly then being compressed the volume needs to be increased. If it's really hot like what tends to happen over a period of time driving the water will vaporize as well and lower egts. The methanol tends to lower iat + increase octane. I just wanted to see how much and in what kind of CC's people are using.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've been running it for 2 years on my Whipple setup. Conventional wisdom says you need a lot for my power level 784 to 798 wheel depending on fuel used. My experience on the dyno has shown less is better and makes more power on these cars.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've been running it for 2 years on my Whipple setup. Conventional wisdom says you need a lot for my power level 784 to 798 wheel depending on fuel used. My experience on the dyno has shown less is better and makes more power on these cars.
Cool - what size nozzle(s) are you using? Are you using full Methanol or a mix?
Thanx

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Running it on my KB car with a 50/50 mix M15 nozzle at the halfway pump setting.
More of a safeguard than anything, but it literally sips the stuff. I've gone through a little over a gallon mixture in the 7+months i've had it.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Running it on my KB car with a 50/50 mix M15 nozzle at the halfway pump setting.
More of a safeguard than anything, but it literally sips the stuff. I've gone through a little over a gallon mixture in the 7+months i've had it.
I'm going with a prometh setup. I only want it for safety in the hotter months here in GA when and 93 isn't exactly 93. I won't get the car tuned with it, just let the ECU handle any adjustments.

Thanx for your response.

RaGwEeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 Rubicon, 2017 Titan, 2015 Dodge Durango GT
Does methanol injection cause an objectional wear on the blower itself? I have a gen 5 whipple on a 17 that I have been thinking about adding methanol to. Where is your injection point located?

Stangn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 mustang gt
So no one is running methanol for main fuel, just in addition to there main fuel as a band aid? I know it works, GM guys love it.

I’ve been checking on running M1 as a primary fuel with a belt driven pump. Seems no one has done it. My car is under construction (70 Mach 1 with a 5.2 coyote and a RF 2.9 Whipple) so my options are open.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
tuning is crucial on a coyote with meth. when you add fuel through the intake, which is essentially what your doing, it's going to pull fuel from the injector due to the built in widebands. so it's very important the mix of meth and tune are spot on, or you could lean the engine out very quickly

Sponsored
OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
tuning is crucial on a coyote with meth. when you add fuel through the intake, which is essentially what your doing, it's going to pull fuel from the injector due to the built in widebands. so it's very important the mix of meth and tune are spot on, or you could lean the engine out very quickly
OK, I'll get with Lund and see what they have to say! thanks!!

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does methanol injection cause an objectional wear on the blower itself? I have a gen 5 whipple on a 17 that I have been thinking about adding methanol to. Where is your injection point located?
The point is in the intake tract after the MAF, If you use pure methanol it evaporates at 148.5 F. I'm going with a prometh kit.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Have an AEM kit on the '16 GT with a VMP blower. So far, so good. If you keep your PCV system connected and don't run pure methanol, you shouldn't have any problem with rotor wear. The crankcase vapor from the PCV system will lightly coat the rotors with oil, and water/methanol mix won't readily dissolve that (unlike pure methanol).

Some folks on here like to run catch cans, oil separators and other stuff to deal with too much oil up top. Those are fine. just be sure to run the vapor line back to the intake ahead of the blower and behind the throttle. Ford does it that way on their PD boosted cars for a reason.

The injection point for the water/meth is in the clean air tube upstream of the throttle and downstream of the MAF sensor. This is where its supposed to be for methanol/water used as an octane booster (not for fuel). You can run pure water in these things to get some of the same effect. The octane boost works by vaporizing the mix in the intake stream to cool it a bit. If the amount injected is correct for that purpose, it won't affect the AF mixture. Think of it this way, at .5 lbs/HP/hr fuel use, 600 RWHP is 300 lbs (about 50 gallons) of fuel per hour. You might use 1 or 2 gallons of water/methanol mix at that rate. At absolute worst, and it's nowhere near that, you'd change the AF by about 4%. That's .5 on 11.5 AFR assuming all the water/methanol acts as air for AFR calculations. The real effect is a whole lot less than that.
Sponsored

Last edited: