Sponsored

Super clean windows = 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
We’ve all ’been there done that’ with Glass Cleaners. Expensive glass cleaners, those labeled for home, those labeled automotive, the “no streaks” brands, the fav car guy brands on forums, the inexpensive, the clear vs dyed and the foam vs liquid.

Hell, I even bought the specific Glass Cleaning Microfibers. Even washed them properly based on manufacturers suggestions or posts from detailing forums.

Tried multiple varieties of paper towel brands... oh and tried the “newspaper” tips too... LOL...

and no matter what, even though the glass looks clean... there’s always ghost streaks, smearing or fogging occurring shortly after the cleaning (and is usually more visible at night than day).

————

So here’s a tip and it works very well.

Use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean GLASS.

NOTE:
Do NOT use on clear plastic or touch screens. I do not know if it will damage or have any adverse effects on any clear plastic covers or lenses (ie: dash cluster, center gauges, SYNC screens, etc).
——

1) Purchase a bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and an empty spray bottle (only if the Alcohol bottle does not have a spray nozzle).

2) Get plain white paper towels (ie: no prints, dyes or patterns on paper towels).

3) Make sure glass is cool to touch. If you try to apply the alcohol onto hot glass it will evaporate very quickly.

4) Spritz the alcohol onto the glass surface. Fold the paper towel over so there’s decent padding between your hand and glass. Cleanse the glass left to right. Repeat until you have cleaned ALL prior residue off of the glass or until the glass looks super clean and clear.

——

There will be no ghost smears, no streaks and no fogging. If there are any ghost smears or fogging, repeat cleaning process as that could residue still on glass from the use of prior products.

So far it’s been (2) weeks and the glass I had cleaned is still ghost streak/smear/fog free! I also noticed when using the Isopropyl Alcohol, the overspray does not leave droplet marks on the dash or door panels because it evaporates (unlike other glass products where overspray collects and can leave marks due to chemical or dyes in the product).

Save yourself the excessive $$$ spent on Brand-XYZ glass cleaners and put that $$$ towards other mods/upgrades!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Vinegar and newspaper was my old trick for windows and big bathroom mirrors around the house when I was younger but the alcohol works pretty well too.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Huck Towel. That is the key to clean glass. Use whatever glass cleaner you like. I use Stoners. Once you are done cleaning use the huck towel to remove the streaks. Crystal clear glass. Works every time. No need for special cleaners or multiple steps.

Don

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I use carpro eraser and then i coated the glass. it wipes streak free and crystal clean with just a dry microfiber, or if i have a damp MF after wiping the car down then using a dry one afterwards. I will say mine is garage kept and pretty much a weekend toy since i work from home. Ill agree no matter which glass cleaner i used before i never got it "perfect".

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
Stoners glass cleaner works well too!! it is also not very costly.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I started detailing cars in 2003, and really got serious about it a few years later. Now, I take care of a 30 car collection. I’ve tried every product in existent, and most of them are fine.

I recommend to always use a new microfiber towel on the long looped side (yes, there’s a short side and a long side 99% of the time.). Isopropyl alcohol 50/50 with distilled water works great, or meguires quick Detailer works great too. Then, wax the window inside and out (Being careful to stay away from the edges as not to get wax on the trim pieces). After removing the wax, you’ll have the cleanest glass you’ve ever seen in your entire life.

I personally use Black fire synthetic sealant, but honestly any wax will give you an amazing result. The important thing is, after waxing a window, towel fibers and lint won’t stick to the windows as long as the wax lasts.

I’m telling you... cleanest windows EVER! Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I started detailing cars in 2003, and really got serious about it a few years later. Now, I take care of a 30 car collection. I’ve tried every product in existent, and most of them are fine.

I recommend to always use a new microfiber towel on the long looped side (yes, there’s a short side and a long side 99% of the time.). Isopropyl alcohol 50/50 with distilled water works great, or meguires quick Detailer works great too. Then, wax the window inside and out (Being careful to stay away from the edges as not to get wax on the trim pieces). After removing the wax, you’ll have the cleanest glass you’ve ever seen in your entire life.

I personally use Black fire synthetic sealant, but honestly any wax will give you an amazing result. The important thing is, after waxing a window, towel fibers and lint won’t stick to the windows as long as the wax lasts.

I’m telling you... cleanest windows EVER! Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.

This. My only $.02 is before waxing the outside of the windshield is to buff it with a light polishing compound. Headlights buffed and waxed too. Makes keeping clean and clear 1000000 times easier.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford Edge Sport,2019 JCW Mini, 1997 Taurus SHO, 2007 Yamaha R1
Have you ever tried a magic eraser and water? Try it and you'll never use anything else.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I tried newspaper a couple times recently. Works better than I expected.
For anyone who still gets one, that is.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford Edge Sport,2019 JCW Mini, 1997 Taurus SHO, 2007 Yamaha R1
the 'gritty' (brown/gray) kind or the rubbery 'white' variety?
The white one. I'm telling you it cleans like nothing else I've ever used!

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the magic eraser. I use it with glass cleaner and it is fantastic.

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
#0000 steel wool and Sprayway/Stoner etc. Then I follow up with a glass towel and Adam's glass cleaner.. Love the stuff
Sponsored