Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

vcast555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Wonder if Ford splits the warranty coverage with Rouch. If it's rod or crank bearings it seems like a Ford defect and not something due to Rouch putting a supercharger on the car.

Looking forward to see what Rouch reports after the teardown. Hope they get you taken care of properly.
Sorry for the delayed response GT Pony, I did get my car back pretty quickly which was great, they had it about 2 weeks. I was surprised I got it back that quickly since there was another 2018 Roush with the same issue as mine ahead of me. The car runs strong but still makes a noise a 2k which I am guessing is the direct injection fuel system? I got the car back with 4808 miles on it and just got to 6200 miles yesterday, going to put some more miles on it before I take it back to confirm what I am hearing. Also, according to the service advisor, it was Roush that made the approvals to replace the long block and would be taking care of the bill, not Ford. As you pointed out, it had nothing to do with the supercharger, which seems odd to me as well, seeing that it was Ford failure.

I have attached the invoice if anyone is interested.
Sponsored

Attachments

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I'm unfortunately back on this issue as of this week. My car started to exhibit a separate belt issue noise so I scheduled to take it in on Monday. My piston slap / rattle is getting worse. It's now making the noise even when the engine is warmed up to operational temp. The noise itself is very clearly coming form the right side of the engine and can be heard best at 2200 rpm in third gear under 10-20% load when cold. it sounds horrid. Just a solid metal smacking noise rapid fire. I'm at roughly 22k miles. I'm debating whether or not to ask the dealer to boroscope the cylinder walls now or later. The rattle really presented itself around 8k miles and has gotten progressively worse since then. I have not checked any oil filters to date but I'm debating having them do an oil change and requesting the oil filter to send off to blackstone. I'm honestly at a loss here. I love my car to death but I can't modify it which was half the reason I bought a mustang. I may record a video here when I go to lunch today just to document it and post it here for second opinions. My rattle sounds similar to the OP's. I'm fairly young (29) and look like Im in highschool so the biggest issue im having with the dealerships is that they don't take me seriously which is slightly ironic because I'm an laser engineer. I bought the car to daily and for seasonal track use, and I'm stuck here knowing I've got a rotten engine on the first brand new car I've gone and purchased. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase an extended warranty from the bank I'm loaning from up to 125k odo.
Man, I know what you mean on the being 30 and looking young. Hell, I still pass for a junior or senior in high school. It's kind of cool until as you said, dealerships don't take me seriously. However, when you are test driving a car and suddenly pop off with so much info the sales man doesn't know well, that tends to shut them up. Also when you know your stuff and don't let the service manager give you the run around. That also helps a lot. Sometimes you need to get rude with them I hate to say it. Maybe not rude but very pushy and make it in their best interest to just fix the issue.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
So I got the car back yesterday. The techs agree that the noise is horrid and coming from the engine, but Ford instructed them to send me on my way with no answer as to what the noise is for the time being. I'm just going to ignore it and send it. I don't have time for this sort of nonsense anyway. Now the real debate is whether or not to go E85 and put 10k aside while hoping for the best.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I got the car back yesterday. The techs agree that the noise is horrid and coming from the engine, but Ford instructed them to send me on my way with no answer as to what the noise is for the time being. I'm just going to ignore it and send it. I don't have time for this sort of nonsense anyway. Now the real debate is whether or not to go E85 and put 10k aside while hoping for the best.
That's typical Ford response ... they think since there is a SSM out on the BBQ tick that any noise, no matter how horrible from the engine falls under that SSM. I knew that would be the case when that BBQ tick SSM came out.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
That's typical Ford response ... they think since there is a SSM out on the BBQ tick that any noise, no matter how horrible from the engine falls under that SSM. I knew that would be the case when that BBQ tick SSM came out.
I had this exact experience with Ford on my '18...'The bulletin covers it so it's normal'...Are you frikin' serious..can you not understand they are clearly two completely different noises, made at two entirely different times and conditions??!!?

Sponsored

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Itā€™s crazy.. Iā€™m from the UK and gave my car back after 2 weeks and being told by a senior Ford technician of 25 years the noise was not meant to be there and that Ford are aware of it but will not allow any work etc to be carried out.. we donā€™t even get the new blocks for trial over here.. just told itā€™s ā€˜normalā€™. I have not had the car for over a year now and still log back in here to read this thread as Iā€™m still heartbroken that I had to get rid and would like to hear any final outcome on the situation... as u can see... still nothing!
Strange thing is not as many UK customers are complaining which I think might be because us ā€˜Britsā€™ havenā€™t had the Mustang as long as you guys and many just think ā€˜oh that must be the sound a 5.0l mustang makesā€™ I truly believe that! Mine was identical at 1.5 - 2k engine rattle.. I know a thing or two about cars and knew that a car of that stature should not produce a noise like a clamped our old banger! Hereā€™s one thing for you.. just before I gave it back I sat in neutral, engine running (manual) and held the ā€˜shift stickā€™ as you guys call it; all the way to the left side, as if about to then put into 1st gear but left it held firmly against the side ā€˜wallā€™ of box.. then I held revs at 1.5 - 2k.. the sound was multiplied... almost as if this was also gearbox related.. not sure if this helps or if does it on yours but that scared me even more! Just have a go sometime..
Also there are so many of you out there with this issue, can one of you not put some kind of online petition together and all sign regarding the problem and send to Ford? Maybe an impact like that would give them a little more to think about?.. one thing for sure is over here Fords arenā€™t the best of cars (we get all the little crappy versions too) and if this really is a ā€˜normalā€™ sound then Ford is finished. You canā€™t produce a car with this history and pride and make it sound like that! I really hope you all get some answers. I know a lot of you will just live with the noise but I couldnā€™t.. the only way I could would be if Ford actually explained in full detail and had diagrams/videos everything of what it actually is, THEN at least you could tell your passenger what it is rather than them thinking itā€™s got a rattle snake living under the ā€˜hoodā€™ (bonnet over here)! Good luck and maybe have a think about the petition thing because they wonā€™t take forums seriously.. if and when they ever sort that noise Iā€™ll be back!! Good luck guys

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sorry for the delayed response GT Pony, I did get my car back pretty quickly which was great, they had it about 2 weeks. I was surprised I got it back that quickly since there was another 2018 Roush with the same issue as mine ahead of me. The car runs strong but still makes a noise a 2k which I am guessing is the direct injection fuel system? I got the car back with 4808 miles on it and just got to 6200 miles yesterday, going to put some more miles on it before I take it back to confirm what I am hearing. Also, according to the service advisor, it was Roush that made the approvals to replace the long block and would be taking care of the bill, not Ford. As you pointed out, it had nothing to do with the supercharger, which seems odd to me as well, seeing that it was Ford failure.

I have attached the invoice if anyone is interested.
Interesting, I looked over the service ticket you posted and it's the exact situation as what I went through with my car. Dealer agreed the 2k rattle was abnormal and just ordered a new long block (this was about a year ago prior to the SSM when Ford was still replacing motors left and right). When the tech tore into the original motor, he found metal all over. Bearings were shot. The new long block made the 2k rattle as well and at that point I pursued a buyback. Ford probably knows exactly what is causing the rattle but won't share any details for obvious reasons. In my case the rattle on the original motor kept getting worse to the point where you could hear it up to 3k RPM. I think it was present even at higher RPM but the motor and road noises drowned it out.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I'll copy and past my response about the "2K rattle" from another thread. Keep in my this is my personal theory on what the sound is after studying the ins and outs of the Gen 3 coyote for some time. Please take it with a grain of salt and I won't get offended if you disagree with me.

The "2k rattle" on the 2018+ 5.0s is the DI system kicking in. Unlike other cars with both direct and port injection, the Gen 3 Coyote is fully port injected at low RPM and transitions to full DI at higher RPM, rather than being blended together most of the time. The high pressure fuel pump is mechanical and runs off one of the passenger side camshafts with a small arm. It's actually a pretty ingenious solution and better than having an electric system imo. However this creates some resonance off the cam and what is known as the "2k rattle."
What's interesting to me is why some cars make the sound more than others (perhaps variance/tolerance on the mounting position of the HPFP relative to the engine). On my car it's barely noticeable. I'd call it more of a faint fluttering sound than a rattle, but it's definitely there. I also think the sound is more prevalent in 6MT cars since you tend to hang around 2k rpm at light throttle much more often than in an A10 car.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'll copy and past my response about the "2K rattle" from another thread. Keep in my this is my personal theory on what the sound is after studying the ins and outs of the Gen 3 coyote for some time. Please take it with a grain of salt and I won't get offended if you disagree with me.

What's interesting to me is why some cars make the sound more than others (perhaps variance/tolerance on the mounting position of the HPFP relative to the engine). On my car it's barely noticeable. I'd call it more of a faint fluttering sound than a rattle, but it's definitely there. I also think the sound is more prevalent in 6MT cars since you tend to hang around 2k rpm at light throttle much more often than in an A10 car.
You get the gold star of the day! I agree, no actual proof has been stated from Ford on this, but it does seem likely that something that did not exist on a S550 prior to 18my and does make some noise could be the source that everyone has gotten rattled (lol) about. Since every 18+ I have heard makes this sound to some degree, it makes sense it is the HPFP. My rattle become less noticeable when I took the sound tube out, but is still faintly audible when trying to hear it.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You get the gold star of the day! I agree, no actual proof has been stated from Ford on this, but it does seem likely that something that did not exist on a S550 prior to 18my and does make some noise could be the source that everyone has gotten rattled (lol) about. Since every 18+ I have heard makes this sound to some degree, it makes sense it is the HPFP. My rattle become less noticeable when I took the sound tube out, but is still faintly audible when trying to hear it.
I did listen carefully to Wheat392's videos of other before 2018 that said they had the rattle. It does sound like a noise of some sort, but not sure if it's the identical thing. Outside of those couple videos, I have never seen a 6G thread on it, or complaints by others on YouTube, etc. Maybe those two cars actually have some kind of piston slap, heck I dunno. what I do know, is every single 2018+ I test drove had that sound. And I test drove about a dozen different GT's before buying. They can't ALL have piston slap that bad right off the assembly line. That would be a massive failure in manufacturing. I'm still pretty convinced it has some kind of resonating noise from the HPFP. Especially since I hear similar sounds like that in the smaller Ecoboost engines as well.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You canā€™t produce a car with this history and pride and make it sound like that! I really hope you all get some answers. I know a lot of you will just live with the noise but I couldnā€™t.. the only way I could would be if Ford actually explained in full detail and had diagrams/videos everything of what it actually is, THEN at least you could tell your passenger what it is rather than them thinking itā€™s got a rattle snake living under the ā€˜hoodā€™ (bonnet over here)!
The "2K rattlesnake" ... hum, maybe that will catch on. :bandit:

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
Guys I am having this rattle noise at 2k, any idea what it is?

Dealer says its normal without any explanation, normal my ***

Please help, here in my country we do not have buyback and I can't bare the noise...

Regards

Fahad

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^Yeah, mine does that on occasion too. I've heard on decel it could be the IMRC chattering, or maybe the VCT solenoid chattering. Doesn't seem to affect anything though. Ford had a TSB for the F-150 for this noise, and their response was to reprogram the VCT solenoid. But, in a lot of cases it didn't work, so who knows?

Another possibility is clutch related, because I noticed on mine when I do that same thing with the clutch depressed to the floor, it doesn't make that noise.

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
^^^Yeah, mine does that on occasion too. I've heard on decel it could be the IMRC chattering, or maybe the VCT solenoid chattering. Doesn't seem to affect anything though. Ford had a TSB for the F-150 for this noise, and their response was to reprogram the VCT solenoid. But, in a lot of cases it didn't work, so who knows?

Another possibility is clutch related, because I noticed on mine when I do that same thing with the clutch depressed to the floor, it doesn't make that noise.
I don't think its a clutch issue cause mine is 10 speed, If its something related to transmission, it could be the bell-housing, but I don't think so, as the noise get much lower when the engine warms up, seems no one had a fix and I am not sure why Ford keeping it a secret.

It feels like a timing chain rattles, either the primary or the secondary tensioner, on other hand it may be injectors, not sure, but I think its the only difference between the 2017 and the 18-19.

I am not mechanic and I have no experience in Mustangs at all, its my first Ford, I am just thinking loudly. A year ago I sold my heavily modified GTR R35, it had big injectors, never had like sound/chatter, but who knows what injectors Ford is using, only experienced guys will help.

I wonder what modified 18-19 guys did to there motors when they upgraded their internals, did they found the rattle noise source? Did they find a fix?

Really hope some one with a custom modified 18-19 engine would join in this thread.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think its a clutch issue cause mine is 10 speed, If its something related to transmission, it could be the bell-housing, but I don't think so, as the noise get much lower when the engine warms up, seems no one had a fix and I am not sure why Ford keeping it a secret.

It feels like a timing chain rattles, either the primary or the secondary tensioner, on other hand it may be injectors, not sure, but I think its the only difference between the 2017 and the 18-19.

I am not mechanic and I have no experience in Mustangs at all, its my first Ford, I am just thinking loudly. A year ago I sold my heavily modified GTR R35, it had big injectors, never had like sound/chatter, but who knows what injectors Ford is using, only experienced guys will help.

I wonder what modified 18-19 guys did to there motors when they upgraded their internals, did they found the rattle noise source? Did they find a fix?

Really hope some one with a custom modified 18-19 engine would join in this thread.
Just saw this thread ... maybe the fix?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...9-mustang-gt-f150-mmrs-new-tensioners.134820/
Sponsored

Last edited: