EcoBoost Premium in Sport+ mode......

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I haven't spent much time messing with the drive modes other than occasionally dropping the shift lever into S a few times on the fly for a spirited burst of speed. I've always been a MPG prude in the fact that I like to get the best MPG I can. However, last weekend I tried S+ and found the shifts at lower speeds to be jerky and awkward until I reached a speed of 45 MPH. That said, the downshifts were smooth and powerful. Does the A10 have to learn in each mode? That's the only thing I can think of other than maybe my right foot is too soft for that kind of driving.

2018 EB, A10, no performance mods. I don't want to lose my man card or my Mustang card.
Sponsored

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
The lighter you are on the pedal, the more jerky those shifts will feel as you move up the different drive modes, at least in my experience both in my GT and my wife's Ecoboost (both with the A10). If you're tooling around down but want to keep it in S or S+, use the paddles.

Deleted member 35644

You have to temper yourself with your throttle inputs while crawling around in traffic in S+. Mine jerks and bucks occasionally, as if it's getting impatient. I've come to the conclusion that the A10 (or maybe my A10) is just happier when going fast, and like me, thinks driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic sucks.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I don't use S+ very much at all but do use S (the only difference being S+ adds the Sport setting on the steering) and very light throttle applications result in harsh shifts. Give more throttle and the harshness will reduce.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
I figured it would be my soft foot. I'll have to stop watching the trip 1 MPG which I reset every fill up. The MPGs drop in a hurry on S+. I guess I need to learn to live a little.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it would be my soft foot. I'll have to stop watching the trip 1 MPG which I reset every fill up. The MPGs drop in a hurry on S+. I guess I need to learn to live a little.
Yup. If you want MPG, buy a Prius. Mustangs are built for SPG (smiles per gallon), which tend to be directly inversely proportional to MPG. :D

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Silly question but are you using 87 or 91/93?

Dark Stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Use sport + mode for backroads and spirited driving. The transmission shifts in this mode are for performance and not more maximum mpg. When I drive in sport + mode in traffic it feels awkward and jumpy. But when you can let it rip it is perfect in that mode!

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Silly question but are you using 87 or 91/93?
Shell 93. I don't baby the car all of the time. I'll aggressively pass sometimes or blow away from a tailgater. But most of my cruising is back roads that follow rivers and bayous for the curves and I'll keep within shade of the speed limits, but the cruise is usually active. It's amusing to be cruising at 57 in a 55 have a car follow close only to lose them in a 45 or 35 curve that I know well and don't slow down for. I'm also enjoying the Shaker Pro. Remember, I have been a widower now for a year and a half and have nothing better to do on the weekends but enjoy my car.

I've always been obsessed with MPG just for the challenge. Some drivers like to see how fast they can go or how loud they can be. I like the challenge of efficiency with the machine. On a perfectly flat road 41 MPH is the soft shift point for 9th gear and also the maximum MPG efficiency point for the EB/A10. Useless information, I know, but I also know that WOT won't see beyond 7th gear either. :sunglasses:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Your not the only one. Went for a slow drive trying to update my maps. Steady 60mph just to see what it would do. Not bad. I used to average 32 on my work route in my 15’ EB.
9670A6F4-ED0B-4B53-A7C7-350E39B80430.jpeg

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I'm the same. I don't avoid giving the car the spurs but I also don't go out of my way to do so. Coming home from the office there is a slow spell on the highway (3 lanes wide) until it splits into collectors and express. When I hit the express, usually at about 90 kph, if there is room I'll get into about 3/4 throttle and 140 kph comes up mighty quick. Then a coast down back to more a more reasonable speed that won't attract the law, not that I see them much along that route. That said, I'm still at 9.3L/100 km (25 mpUSg) over the 22K km I've put on the car. Not bad in my books.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's amusing to be cruising at 57 in a 55 have a car follow close only to lose them in a 45 or 35 curve that I know well and don't slow down for.
I do that and find it amusing too. Not sure why. I'm also a little amused by going down the hill to my place in whichever gear it is that controls my descent at a modest speed (35 MPH residential zone, with a 25 MPH school zone at the bottom of the hill), watching the person in the automatic behind me gaining and then slowing and gaining and slowing. Not sure why.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Follow up story from this weekend: I didn't drive it Saturday due to the weather, but Sunday was beautiful. Drove into town, filled up, reset trip one then turned on gauges so I wouldn't be tempted to look at MPG. Drove a 53 mile regular route with the shifter in S the entire time. Take offs from stop signs were took some learning to not jump and hesitate though I swear the car learned after a while. It was very satisfying and even had one WOT moment in a straightaway. I liked it a lot. Eventually, even the downshifts were satisfying, even rev matching. Top that off with the fact that I never checked the MPG.

Thanks to all that tried to convince me it's OK to have fun. I'm still not mature enough for a GT (yet). :sunglasses:
Sponsored