Sponsored

Help Needed - Engine Misfire 2019 GT PP1 - 2900 miles

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys, was driving tonight and all of a sudden the car started hesitating on throttle, was stuttering and losing power...(only used medium throttle to 4k...nothing crazy) Engine was warm...35 degrees out here in Colorado.
I saw a bunch of indicators light up and it said I couldn't switch driving modes or exhaust modes.

Saw that service engine light was on. Pulled over, turned off car and on again. Engine light was still on....then get a notice on my FordPass app on my phone that "The Engine system has detected a misfire fault"
I can tell its not firing correctly...power isn't their and there is more vibration..don't hear and noises or scraping internally..it's just running like crap. Car has been flawless up until now...no tick or anything.

Picture1.png

Anyway I'm taking her to the dealer in the morning - It's a 2019 Mustang GT PP1 (2,900 miles)
I've got a PBD E85 Tune (running E85 pump gas), Corsa Catback (stock headers), and Steeda Cold Air Intake.
I spoke to my dealer when I bought the car and he said that a tune would not void any warranty claims and that they were very good about service (Longmont Ford, CO) ....we'll see soon enough!

Here's my question for those who have experience - Would you recommend reverting my E85 tune back to stock before taking her in? What about the airbox, should I install the stock one?
I have 3/4 tank left of E85 so I'd have to drive it around for a while in limp mode...not sure I want to do that....I guess I can just let it idle for hours to get rid of noost of the E85 then fill up with 91.

Thoughts or any advice?
Appreciate it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Fuk it, I’m gonna play it safe and change everything in the engine bay back to stock, run the car out of e85, fill up with 91 and go back to stock tune.

Then I’ll take it in to service.

Not gonna risk some BS from Ford.

mushy78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Fuk it, I’m gonna play it safe and change everything in the engine bay back to stock, run the car out of e85, fill up with 91 and go back to stock tune.

Then I’ll take it in to service.

Not gonna risk some BS from Ford.
I popped a misfire code one time simply for forgetting to do the crank re-learn. Reset the CEL and got on the highway later that day and once I hit close to 5K the car fell over on itself like you described. Message stated the same about driving modes being disabled and what not. I changed the plugs as well for good measure (I had a lot more miles than you do) but they all looked fine when I pulled them. Did the crank relearn and everything was fine.

Being that you pushed a tune (which from my experience requires a crank relearn), I would double check that first rather than putting everything back to stock.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I spoke to my dealer when I bought the car and he said that a tune would not void any warranty claims and that they were very good about service (Longmont Ford, CO) ....we'll see soon enough!

Appreciate it!
The dealer will tell you that they can turn water into wine if they can get a sale done. Unless you got that statement in writing, it will hold no water in court. Though verbal agreements are just as strong as written ones, there's no proof of them saying that. The problem is that it's not up to the dealer to void the warranty or not. Once they submit a claim to Ford, it's up to Ford to ask for additional details about the car.

I'd recommend what Mushy suggested. Do a crank relearn.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Ok, Will do the crank relearn, this is first I’ve heard of this.
Have been reading up on it...I have the SCT BDX tuner so will connect that shortly and do the relearn.

Can anyone explain why this happens and if this is going to be a constant thing with my E85 tune?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Ok, Will do the crank relearn, this is first I’ve heard of this.
Have been reading up on it...I have the SCT BDX tuner so will connect that shortly and do the relearn.

Can anyone explain why this happens and if this is going to be a constant thing with my E85 tune?
You should only have to do it once. It happens because the tune resets and changes a lot of factory parameters.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
usgiorgy - I've had my tune working fine for over 6 mos...is that normal that it just happened randomly?

mushy78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
usgiorgy - I've had my tune working fine for over 6 mos...is that normal that it just happened randomly?
So, I'm not entirely sure what triggers it. Maybe someone else can comment on that. I attributed mine to getting up to 5K but I'm not sure that is what triggered it. I did my lund tune recently and only did the crank relearn after the last tune was sent to me. I was obviously taking it well past 5K when data logging.

I think you should be good after the crank relearn though.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Running a PBD E85 tune and having misfires!!!! not sure why!!!!

capt obvious says....

Sponsored
OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Crank relearn fixed it. Took 5 min with a tuning device. Ripped it a handful of times, she’s running great!

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Mine is a 2018 with 18k miles and no engine mods, just Steeda x-pipe. Engine oil life was less than 10% and I was due for oil change anyway. Since a couple of weeks i've been noticing rough idling after cold start at 600ish rpm, and the whole car is shaking and vibrating (like engine misfire). The check engine light came on and i got the same message on Fordpass app (Service engine soon: The engine system has detected a fault). I've had no issues so far other than the tick and 2k rpm rattle. I dropped it off at dealer yesterday waiting for an update.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Although the crank relearn helped, I think it’s a fuel quality issue with my E85 here. Winter blends suck, it’s only like 65% ethanol.
I data logged it and tuner said it was fuel...so gonna go back to 91 octane tune and make sure everything is good then will find a better fuel station with E85.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Mine is a 2018 with 18k miles and no engine mods, just Steeda x-pipe. Engine oil life was less than 10% and I was due for oil change anyway. Since a couple of weeks i've been noticing rough idling after cold start at 600ish rpm, and the whole car is shaking and vibrating (like engine misfire). The check engine light came on and i got the same message on Fordpass app (Service engine soon: The engine system has detected a fault). I've had no issues so far other than the tick and 2k rpm rattle. I dropped it off at dealer yesterday waiting for an update.
Good luck, let me know what they say!

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I would say ANY dealer visits with the motor having problems should always be an immediate back to stock tune and try to get at least a 50:50 mix of pump to E85 if possible. Also get you a battery tender on it and do 20 plus start stops to get your key count back up on stock tune. Fyi...
Sponsored