Bullet resonators and MBRP cat back?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
ANyone try this? I grew tired of the rasp with MBRP street system; and it got worse with catless long tubes. I'm thinking of adding some bullet resonators (Vibrant 1794 or equivalent).

Anyone try it? Video clips?
Sponsored

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
As an alternative, consider the catback from Krona. I have an MBRP race catback which has even worse drone. In videos of the Krona catback, it seems to sound pretty much identical to my MBRP race series, much closer than any video of any other brand. But everyone swears it has no drone, thanks to some peculiar chamber thingy going on inside the muffler. So take a look into that, you might like it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As an alternative, consider the catback from Krona. I have an MBRP race catback which has even worse drone. In videos of the Krona catback, it seems to sound pretty much identical to my MBRP race series, much closer than any video of any other brand. But everyone swears it has no drone, thanks to some peculiar chamber thingy going on inside the muffler. So take a look into that, you might like it.
Krona is very loud. With longtubes no one would pass sound with that (regional SCCA event for instance).

Sponsored

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
Krona is very loud. With longtubes no one would pass sound with that (regional SCCA event for instance).
Interesting. I didn't realize it was any louder than typical. I don't have any SCCA events to worry about...but I do have neighbors.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I didn't realize it was any louder than typical. I don't have any SCCA events to worry about...but I do have neighbors.
@Zelek installed it recently. It's not the loudest catback but very far from the quietest.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I run a mbrp race. Loved the tone and rumble but the drone was rough at 1800 to 2200 rpm. Had to crack the windows when driving to let what felt like built up pressure out. Made sure tips were past the bumper, layered blankets on the trunk floor, etc.. nothing helped.
Local muffler shop added 18 inch bullet style resonators in the h pipe and went from an 11 to a 7. Drone was reduced significantly and the over all volume inside dropped as well. The exhaust sound is now behind you when driving instead of consuming you. No more pressure build either.

The mbrp h pipe is roughly 21 or 22 inches from the h to the bracing at the rear. 2 x18 inch resonators almost completely fill the space on the h. Almost touching in the center and just enough room to weld on each end.

At this point I'd gamble I'd be ok adding catted LT to the setup.

The race has less rasp than there street. There was some as rpms built from a dig at full throttle though. Most notably around 3 to 4krpms. With the mentioned resonators in its never been heard again.

The resonators had a spiraling arrangement to the perforated holes on the inside and there were small half circle rises on each hole. Reminded me of a cheese grater. Not sure if that construction mattered but the results in person were notable.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah, this is more related to sound restrictions for SCCA events. Hopefully this drops the volume and rasp significantly.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I run a mbrp race. Loved the tone and rumble but the drone was rough at 1800 to 2200 rpm.
LoL... i'm glad i'm not the only one... that shit is annoying because you either have to slow down or go faster but you need to be out of that rpm range

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@strengthrehab I missed that part. It may drop the volume a bit at WOT but mine is still plenty loud in the upper rpms. The effect was in more normal driving ranges. Worth a try for the sub $200 it should cost.

@vanquishvzla exactly! Was either going to be going 55 or 80+ iirc. First week it was cool. Then the first off day where you're not in the mood.. I felt like plugging the tips with softballs

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek installed it recently. It's not the loudest catback but very far from the quietest.
Oh yeah, it's super loud catless. I love it though with long tubes. No drone. The resonator is the big reason this system sounds great.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Here was my fix.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
ANyone try this? I grew tired of the rasp with MBRP street system; and it got worse with catless long tubes. I'm thinking of adding some bullet resonators (Vibrant 1794 or equivalent).

Anyone try it? Video clips?
I went with 1794s on my ARH LTH to Corsa Xtreme setup. Did the trick.

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Hey BmacIL, I'm looking for the quietest 3" cat-back. I was just about to order the Krona. My current setup is: Stainless Power Catted Headers + Ford Racing Touring exhaust + Borla 60561 Resonator (this setup has a point that's 2.25 at the front of that resonator). It's VERY QUIET. I road-coarse the car and my local track (Waterford Hills) has a pretty strict sound limit. I really want to go full 3" without getting tossed off the track.

I've been told the Solo XV is quiet but clips of that exhaust kinda sound weird (fluttery).
Sponsored