track rotor and pads

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Rear rotors. ford had the brilliant idea to put a 1 PISTON caliper paired with the infamous reverse rotors
Doesn't really matter for the rear, as you aren't force-cooling the rotor from the inside, and the overall brake bias is approx 80/20.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Doesn't really matter for the rear, as you aren't force-cooling the rotor from the inside, and the overall brake bias is approx 80/20.
well..not exactly..I had many issues in the rear (maybe at the beginning the SC was kicking in often?) ...ended creating many hot spots on the rear. ( with need of substitution of the rotors ) the steeda 2 piece rotors are NORMAL rotors ( no reverse). and better vents ..and little lighter for rotational mass ..but yes not a huge issue comapre to the front ones.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
well..not exactly..I had many issues in the rear (maybe at the beginning the SC was kicking in often?) ...ended creating many hot spots on the rear. ( with need of substitution of the rotors ) the steeda 2 piece rotors are NORMAL rotors ( no reverse). and better vents ..and little lighter for rotational mass ..but yes not a huge issue comapre to the front ones.
Yeah but they are still vented and the position of those vents isn't going to come into play unless they are on the wrong side of an airflow path like the reverse fronts are on the base GT.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
the OEM rotors are reversed like in the Basa GT.. the Steeda ones are maybe the only one with ' normal ' vents side

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Do you keep abs connected and on when you run or do you take out the fuse and run without it?
Why do people want to always disable ABS? I don't get it.

People did it on the S197 becuase of the advance trac "coming back on". There is no risk of that on the S550

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Why do people want to always disable ABS? I don't get it.

People did it on the S197 becuase of the advance trac "coming back on". There is no risk of that on the S550
I don't want to. I'm being told I should by my friends. This is why I'm asking all of these questions.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I don't want to. I'm being told I should by my friends. This is why I'm asking all of these questions.
Just don't--no reason to do it at all. Not a single one.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just don't--no reason to do it at all. Not a single one.
Perhaps on their cars it makes more sense than on mine considering mine is significantly newer than either of their cars.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Perhaps on their cars it makes more sense than on mine considering mine is significantly newer than either of their cars.
What do they have? if it is 2005-2014, then disabling ABS (and thus advancetrac) keeps the advancetrac from kicking back in mid corner and messing things up.

Not an issue on s550

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
What do they have? if it is 2005-2014, then disabling ABS (and thus advancetrac) keeps the advancetrac from kicking back in mid corner and messing things up.

Not an issue on s550
Heavily modded c6 Vette and Porsche 944 turbo

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Not even the same platform?

I'm telling you (from hundreds and hundreds of laps on track and hours on track and talking to noted Ford drivers and engineers)--do not worry about disabling ABS. There is no need whatsoever in these cars.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
[QUOTE="Last Rear rotors. ford had the brilliant idea to put a 1 PISTON caliper paired with the infamous reverse rotors..in a 4000lbs car.. I change the rear rotors with steeda 2 piece rotors. 2 lbs lighter each those will last forever. This mod is somenthing you can do if things get serious for you on track.
Hope this help.[/QUOTE]

Please explain to me why a "1 piston caliper" is a problem, particularly in the rear.
I've run single piston calipers in the front of a 3300 lb car and I can guarantee you that nothing you have ever driven could out brake that car from 140 mph. It didn't wear the pads unusually, either.
I don't mean to be a prick, but everything on a car works together. If you have single piston calipers and they are well supported (bronze bushings instead of rubber), you don't need more pistons to make the car brake better. Don't be a piston counter.
As far as brakes for track use go:
  1. Decide what rotors and calipers you want to use. Then pick a pad material that works at the temperatures you'll see with those rotors and calipers.
  2. You don't need special brake fluid. You need to change out the fluid any time you think it may have absorbed water. For years NASCAR teams used Ford factory fluid in their cars. Brake fluid doesn't boil. The water in the fluid boils. Lots of people flush their brake fluid before each track day.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
@Radiation Joe not counting the pistons:)
I didn't say the problem is 1 piston, i said 1 piston+the infamous rotors is the issue.
reverse rotor is getting air from outside the wheel,which has minimal ventilation..same issue with more evidence happens with BASE GT. this paired with a smaller heat dissipation capacity of a smaller area will create hotspots and in general..more wearing . plus a little diffrence between a Dynamic piston Vs a solid piece ( 1 piston rotor) can contribute at uneven wearing.
you experience with the 1piston 3300calipers that brakes from 140mph is great .the real question is can you do it for 20mins or more in safety ? that is also why the pp gets a 6 piston in the front vs a 4.

in case of 4 piston the forces will be distributed more even in the rotors with wearing benefit and maintain performance through a longer race. that is why car like FP350 or GT4 ( but also the normal 350) have 4 pistons. to be consider is also the presence of a wing which will add 'weight ( so DF,grip) in the rear changing the weight distribution and so you could add more rear bias.
once again the problem is not the 1 piston but the INFAMOUS REVERSE ROTOR.

Completely agree for the choice of the right pads. to be consider in the equation is also the...'how fast you are'.. and how late you brake.:) plus you could be slower at the beggining and being in a need of a 'less aggressive pads'

I respectfully disagree for the Brake fluid.

the DOT4 fluid is a normal standard in the Race ambient. The intense heat can vaporize the brake fluid, causing it to become compressible, which leads to a spongy feeling when you apply the brakes.
a dot 4 has an higher dry boiling point.
but also,like you said, the problem you can have is the presence of water in the system. water of course boils way before than the fluid creating more of the spongy pedal
DOT 4 has a way higher dry and wet boiling point

2 examples.
Castrol React SRF is a dot4 with a wet boiling point at 518F and a dry boiling point at 608F

Ford PM-1-C is a dot3 witha wet boiling point at 284f and a dry boiling point at 500F

Hope this help the discussion.
Alex

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase