PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I am considering replacing the standard GT resonator with a Borla Switchfire X Pipe with the rest of the exhaust remaining standard, can anyone tell me if the claim of no drone after fitting the X Pipe is true and what is the exhaust sound both in volume and likeness to the old XW/Y series falcons? There is a statement on the Borla site which states that the Switchfire X Pipe is not compatable with the other Borla systems - why is this so? excess noise? drone?
Hi Waldial. I may have been one of the first in Aus. to have had one of these fitted. They didn't even have the Switch fire name then.

It has been on for 12 months now and I am completely happy with the sound levels and tone and don't get drone. My car is an 18 with the variable exhaust and all modes are fine.
Borla's you tube make them seem raspy but I don't hear that with mine. I finally got myself a GoPro so once it stops raining I intend to take the car for a drive in the hinterland with the camera on the bumper. I have not heard it from a spectators perspective.

If you go ahead with it don't follow Borla's instructions to take the whole exhaust off. No need. The shop that cut off my resonator did it insitu with a reciprocating saw. $100 and job done.
By the way Fred's price would be hard to beat.
Sponsored

Waldial

Waldial
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waldial
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Race Red
Hi Waldial to answer your questions re Borla Switchfire X Pipe.

There is definately ZERO Drone with the Switchfire. I have sold a number of them and no one has complained of any drone. Borla do not and will not release any exhaust components or systems if they cannot eliminate drone.

The sound and likeness to an XW/Y Falcon? Having grown up in the same era with them and also owning many of them a Cleveland car ie 351 will always sound deeper, firstly the engine size secondly the cylinder head design which is the area where the sound pulses are from, you are talking a totally different engine and head design between the Coyote and the 351. A Cleveland engine is more akin to a Big Block Chev. Many of the engineers who worked on the Boss/Cleveland program had also previously worked at GM on the Big Block Chev Head design. Port design between the Clev and BBC Head, valve sizes etc are very similar along with the rocker arm ratios being almost identical 1.7 vs 1.73. I also doubt whether there would be a GT with its original exhaust system as virtually everyone had headers and aftermarket exhausts back then.

The reason that the Switchfire is not compatible with other Borla systems is that it is much longer in its design than the regular Borla X Pipe in say an S Type or ATAK system and if you see the factory system it has a kink along it in the piping which the Switchfire accomodates. This kink is not in any of the Borla Mustang systems as they straighten out their systems.

Hope this helps you. If you mention this when ordering we will do a Switchfire for you for $695 plus delivery. We have them in stock here in Melbourne.

My number is 03 9553 6915 or email me at [email protected].

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
To add to the questions on headers comparisons :

Streetfighter tuned length and tuned firing order headers.

When our engineers at Streetfighter developed headers for the S550 GT Mustangs , our criteria was to manufacture an end product that would be on a world stage and be equal to or improve on all the U.S offerings available.

With the very limited space available (especially on the right hand engine bank) , the task of designing headers that would best scavenge exhaust gases and promote optimum performance was tedious. Our Australian delivered RHD vehicle has the starter motor on the right hand bank as well as the steering shaft on the right hand bank. The left hand bank was spacious in comparison.

This meant that the task of developing the very best possible tuned length and tuned firing order header for the right bank was more than tedious it was also challenging. With all this came the consideration of fitment. It could not just be made to fit in situ., it required design to be able to be fitted and removed on car as best possible.

Keep in mind the U.S companies had much more room to work on the LHD vehicle with the starter on the right hand bank and the steering shaft on the left hand bank. Space was shared evenly, making design and fitment a lot easier.

Our final product was the first RHD S550 Mustang header in the world .It has now been on RHD Mustangs in Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain for close to 4 years.

To achieve the optimum performance and sound Streetfighter designed a RHD header for the GT Mustang that utilised 4 important criteria’s not seen on many headers available for the RHD Mustang;

1) Tuned Firing order (TFO)

2) Tuned length runners

3) Spiral cone collector

4) Ceramic coated, mild steel runners for thermal resistance./ improved scavenging.

All the 4 criterias allow Streetfighter to offer one of the very best header systems in the world for your S550 Mustang.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
It's happening! The headers are going on now.

Here's a photo of the OEM restriction in the rear pipe on the driver's side of the factory header that has just come off my car. David from KPM had posted a similar photo last year and I wondered if that was just a bad example but mine is exactly the same.
IMG_6041.jpg

Car should be ready to pick up from D&T in a few hours time.

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Teaser...

IMG_6042.jpg

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Dyno without a tune pleeeeeeease
Good idea.

Dyno tune happens in two weeks, so I’ll be able to comment on OEM tune with headers.

I’ll certainly ask if Martin can do a pre-tune run. Can’t see why he couldn’t unless unsafe for the engine.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Terrific. Will probably be the only data on an untuned car with headers. Have you got it back?

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
IMG_6049.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
All finished now.

It's a axle forward system. D&T have beautifully adapted my original rear mufflers to the Pacemaker centre and headers.

IMG_6061.jpg

And a shot of the headers. Sound tube's gone too;

IMG_6058.jpg

Promise I'll get some sound clips up. Especially when it's tuned on the dyno in about 10 days time.

Only drove it home short distance last night so not much to comment except it is certainly louder, but in a good way.

Last edited:

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
I just fitted ARH 1 3/4". Was a giant PITA but they fit very nicely.
IMG_6412.JPG
IMG_6418.JPG
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6432.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
Hey Peter. Great pics and story. Nice to hear the downs as well as the ups. So many questions.
I’m considering the 1 3/4 ARH for the additional low torque over the 1 7/8. Mine is a street EDD and not a track car and won’t be blown.

Did you get these from Fred? He said someone in Perth picked some up and had “fun” installing them.
What is that finish on the new headers? Looks like sandblasted SS, vs raw or polished.
Re’ the cat Efficiency light, what cats did you get? I hear normally you may need a tune right away to prevent this, but with some cats you do not. Any comments or your own research to add?
Do you have the part number for your setup?
Sorry to hear it’s so loud. That’s my concern too, although I have an MY19 so the active exhaust may help tone it down a bit (hopefully), else id look at one of the Borla hi flow resonators. I think the OEM pipes are also a larger diameter I believe than the early models, so that may help with the pitches in sound. X-pipes add to this raspiness.

I see you have the AIRAID cai. I went with the INJEN EVOLUTION but I’d say there is not much difference.

Really looking forward to following your build. I’m thinking of the 350 manifold as well.

PM me with details if you you don’t want to publish.

Good luck with it all.

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Hey Peter. Great pics and story. Nice to hear the downs as well as the ups. So many questions.
I’m considering the 1 3/4 ARH for the additional low torque over the 1 7/8. Mine is a street EDD and not a track car and won’t be blown.

Did you get these from Fred? He said someone in Perth picked some up and had “fun” installing them.
What is that finish on the new headers? Looks like sandblasted SS, vs raw or polished.
Re’ the cat Efficiency light, what cats did you get? I hear normally you may need a tune right away to prevent this, but with some cats you do not. Any comments or your own research to add?
Do you have the part number for your setup?
Sorry to hear it’s so loud. That’s my concern too, although I have an MY19 so the active exhaust may help tone it down a bit (hopefully), else id look at one of the Borla hi flow resonators. I think the OEM pipes are also a larger diameter I believe than the early models, so that may help with the pitches in sound. X-pipes add to this raspiness.

I see you have the AIRAID cai. I went with the INJEN EVOLUTION but I’d say there is not much difference.

Really looking forward to following your build. I’m thinking of the 350 manifold as well.

PM me with details if you you don’t want to publish.

Good luck with it all.
Just to add to this thread I am waiting on a set of 1 and 3/4 ARH headers from Fred now for my 17 GT. The headers are available however the drive shaft I have also ordered won't be in country til the end of the month. The headers will be mated to a AWE 3 inch exhaust - H pipe rather than X pipe for a deeper exhaust note (apparently). The advice from Fred is that I should not need a tune. Instal (professional here in Canberra) and pics to follow.
Sponsored