Sponsored

Troubleshooting Axle Bearing

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How would you guys troubleshoot, or identify the symptoms of a bad outboard axle bearing in a car ('12 GT) with a solid rear axle?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I heard rumbling noises from the rear of a SRA car, I would disassemble and inspect the components. If the area of the axle where the bearing rides against looks good, my assumption is the bearing is fine. I've never had a rear axle bearing fail, though.

I've replaced axle bearings before, but it was more of a precaution than due to a failure. I once purchased a Fox Mustang rear diff assembly and one of the axles was bent. I decided to replace the bearing on that side as well as the axle. I realized that the axle was bent due to a periodic rubbing noise while driving - noticeable at 10 mph.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Same here man, I've never had an axle bearing fail.

I have a grinding noise from the RR with zero driving symptoms. Brakes work perfectly normal, zero driving issues but the noise. BUT...the RR brake is hot. After a normal drive, the LR brake is completely cool to the touch and the RR is hot. Parking brake is only grabbing the RR when engaged (but this could be chalked up as a cable adjustment), but RR also fully disengages. BUT, wile spinning the wheels, I can't find any issues. The hot side with the noise spins freely. brakes grab and release. Grinding noise cannot be reproduced in the garage, only driving. No dragging pad, no stuck caliper piston, etc. I didn't dig in too deep on the brakes, but I pulled the caliper and pads and found zero issues.

Fortunately, we were going to do brakes on the car anyways. It could use brakes, but not right this second. I was hoping to at least find and address this so it can be driven. I get concerned with that one brake getting hot like that. It's odd. Nothing's been done to the car recently to explain the noise that literally popped up over night.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct and it's a bad axle bearing. Makes sense that it could be noisy with the weight of the car on it, but silent when you jack the car up and spin the wheel.
Sponsored