Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I never asked to purchase the new calibration by itself nor did I say Lebanon Ford was offering it. They offered me the LTR and tune package as well. Like I said in the previous post my situation may be unique as my LTR was installed very recently. When I inquired about purchasing the phase 2 kit yesterday I was told that mine was already running it. Maybe I got bad information. I do know for a fact that they flashed a new tune on it as it was throwing check engine lights as soon as I got it back from the LTR install. I was told the next day Roush had sent them a "brand new" calibration and they also had to do a relearn procedure and that it was good to go now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can’t believe they won’t offer the tune to peeps who have the new LTR, just sit tight boys, Roush will come through.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have not found hardly any other drag strip results for cars with the phase 1 Roush blowers and the Roush cal.

Hlfbkd420 has had issues with heatsoak and the throttle plate closing after just one run at the strip. It would be nice to hear of other's experiences with this. I am not necessarily suggesting 420's car is an anomaly but I have been basing my concerns on just his example.

420, have you been able to compare your experience with other Roush owners?

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have not found hardly any other drag strip results for cars with the phase 1 Roush blowers and the Roush cal.

Hlfbkd420 has had issues with heatsoak and the throttle plate closing after just one run at the strip. It would be nice to hear of other's experiences with this. I am not necessarily suggesting 420's car is an anomaly but I have been basing my concerns on just his example.

Mine has had the same issues. I've only done 1/2 mile runs with it and after 1 pass it lost over 15mph in trap speed. I was not data logging at that time but you could definitely tell it was closing the throttle. Whatever the latest tune I have is along with the new LTR has definitely helped on the street but like he mentioned sitting in the pits at the track are when the temps will really climb up. I use to be pretty consistently 55 to 60 degrees over ambient and now I'm seeing around 35 to 40. The biggest difference is how much less it climbs through a pull though. There's also a lot more fluid in there now so it does a better job of keeping the temps reasonable... I'd see 160+ in the past and the highest I've got them with the new set up is around 130 and it takes much longer to get to that point.

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

If he has the same issues when he goes to the track next I'll probably just end up throwing a $600 ice tank set up in it. It keeps cool enough now on the streets so an ice tank should solve the track issues at a reasonable cost. I'm not a fan of the killer chiller set ups as they seem pretty unreliable as far as leaks and other issues with them go.. Seems like a money pit to me when an ice tank will do the same thing especially when it will only be needed on the rare occasion I go to the track.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has had the same issues. I've only done 1/2 mile runs with it and after 1 pass it lost over 15mph in trap speed. I was not data logging at that time but you could definitely tell it was closing the throttle. Whatever the latest tune I have is along with the new LTR has definitely helped on the street but like he mentioned sitting in the pits at the track are when the temps will really climb up. I use to be pretty consistently 55 to 60 degrees over ambient and now I'm seeing around 35 to 40. The biggest difference is how much less it climbs through a pull though. There's also a lot more fluid in there now so it does a better job of keeping the temps reasonable... I'd see 160+ in the past and the highest I've got them with the new set up is around 130 and it takes much longer to get to that point.
I logged max 55 above ambient during about a half dozen hard pulls from both a dig (0-80) and at highway speeds (around 40+-110 or so). And then it would cool down to about 40 above after driving around after those pulls. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait til summer to really test it and I’m at least on cal behind

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I logged max 55 above ambient during about a half dozen hard pulls from both a dig (0-80) and at highway speeds (around 40+-110 or so). And then it would cool down to about 40 above after driving around after those pulls. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait til summer to really test it and I’m at least on cal behind
Are you 10r80 or Mt82? Maybe we can meet up on the 303 one night for a quick roll run?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I wonder what kind of iat2s Whipple or EB owners would see under similar conditions to the Roush.

Totally apples to oranges but when I was drag racing my twin turbo Lincoln, I would see iat2s of 170-180 on hot days after sitting in the staging lines. It made very little difference in ET or trap speed compared to 130-140.

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wonder what kind of iat2s Whipple or EB owners would see under similar conditions to the Roush.

Totally apples to oranges but when I was drag racing my twin turbo Lincoln, I would see iat2s of 170-180 on hot days after sitting in the staging lines. It made very little difference in ET or trap speed compared to 130-140.
I doubt your Lincoln was tuned to pull power to protect the engine like the canned tunes are. Those temps won't necessarily hurt performance that much but certainly not safe to run that in the long term which is why the canned tune shuts it down. It seems they have the same issues with the canned tunes as most all of them ditch it as well or do something to keep the iats in check such as a killer chiller etc. I think the original Phase 1 kits were lacking when compared to the other options as far as cooling goes but I don't think there is a big difference now.

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think in general turbo applications have a higher threshold as well given that they are doing as opposed to a supercharger. If you're talking about a stock twin turbo set up the engines and everything else are engineered to handle it initially unlike what we are all doing to ours. Running the type of compression we have with boost really isn't the best idea anyways.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I can’t believe they won’t offer the tune to peeps who have the new LTR, just sit tight boys, Roush will come through.
+1 Stymee… I was pretty annoyed after making the call.

My dealer has reported to me that people with the F-150 and Mustang here in AZ are experiencing the exact same issues. I can't say what they are running at a track though. I am only 18+ that I have seen with the Roush.

If he has the same issues when he goes to the track next I'll probably just end up throwing a $600 ice tank set up in it. It keeps cool enough now on the streets so an ice tank should solve the track issues at a reasonable cost. I'm not a fan of the killer chiller set ups as they seem pretty unreliable as far as leaks and other issues with them go.. Seems like a money pit to me when an ice tank will do the same thing especially when it will only be needed on the rare occasion I go to the track.
What happens when your not using the ice tank? IE, daily driving?

Are you 10r80 or Mt82? Maybe we can meet up on the 303 one night for a quick roll run?
I have the auto. More than happy to meet up soon in Mexico :) Would have to be a weekend cause that's a drive for me.. Longest trip my car goes on is to the strip.

Sweitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
+1 Stymee… I was pretty annoyed after making the call.

My dealer has reported to me that people with the F-150 and Mustang here in AZ are experiencing the exact same issues. I can't say what they are running at a track though. I am only 18+ that I have seen with the Roush.

What happens when your not using the ice tank? IE, daily driving?

I have the auto. More than happy to meet up soon in Mexico :) Would have to be a weekend cause that's a drive for me.. Longest trip my car goes on is to the strip.
I'm actually on the east side of town.. For some reason I was thinking you were on the west valley? I'm pretty happy with how's its performing on the street right now. Seems like the fans kick on much more than before and it stays way more in check and has a higher tolerance before it pulls timing or throttle.. The ice box will really only help the heat soak issue in staging by taking the temps down quickly. Other than that I think the new tune and LTR keep them from regulating things on the street. Definitely like to meet up as I'm running the Mt82 and you should smoke if we are running the same amount of power.

tborah79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tombrrrr
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Ordered the Phase 1 to Phase 2 directly from Roush today for my 2019...ill let you know how i make out with it