Wheel Offset - Effects on Steering/Handling

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
I'm adding a lighter wheelset (18x8 OZ wheels (likely) with 235/50 Pilot Sport 4S - dropping between 9 to 11 pounds per corner over my stock setup). My stock wheels and tires are the same size as the lighter set above, and my stock wheels have a +40 mm offset. The OZ wheels are available in either a +35 mm or +45 mm offset, but not 40.

Both OZ offsets fit my car, but I have not located much information on the steering and handling effects of offset changes, except one article that recommends not straying beyond a 5 mm change without considering effects on alignment/suspension. I don't want to make any changes to the car as I will swap between my two wheel sets. Does anyone know how handling would change with either of the two 5 mm offset changes? Also, would it be feasible to go with +45 and a 5 mm spacer to achieve +40 (the wheels come with hubcentric hub rings)?

Conversely, anyone have an alternate 18x8 +40 wheel recommendation which is TUV certified?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Lots of guys who went from +45 PP fronts to +25 to fit wider wheels and tires. The benefits of the wider rubber far outweight the negatives of increased scrub radius, etc. from changing the offset.

Speaking of, no way I would ever put a dinky 8" wheel on a heavy Mustang S550.