Sponsored

Wheel Hub Longevity

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Im about to replace my wheel studs with longer ARP studs and a 25mm spacer for a squared 18 x 11 setup. Ive read some complaining about having to replace wheel hubs. Anyone have any experience with them going out prematurely due to track use and if so how many miles did you get out of them. I was thinking about replacing the hubs at the same time but if not many people have gotten failures then I wont waste the time or money. Wondering how many miles you guys have gotten out of them before replacement, or before one went bad. Mine have no play or noise. I also use two piece rotors which should put a little less heat into them during track use.

2018 Mustang GT
6K street miles
1.5k track miles

New hubs/retaining nuts would cost around 150 or less for some moog front hubs. So how many miles are yall getting out of them? Thanks guys
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't replaced any front hubs prematurely, but I've done 3 rear hubs on my '16.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Im about to replace my wheel studs with longer ARP studs and a 25mm spacer for a squared 18 x 11 setup. Ive read some complaining about having to replace wheel hubs. Anyone have any experience with them going out prematurely due to track use and if so how many miles did you get out of them. I was thinking about replacing the hubs at the same time but if not many people have gotten failures then I wont waste the time or money. Wondering how many miles you guys have gotten out of them before replacement, or before one went bad. Mine have no play or noise. I also use two piece rotors which should put a little less heat into them during track use.

2018 Mustang GT
6K street miles
1.5k track miles

New hubs/retaining nuts would cost around 150 or less for some moog front hubs. So how many miles are yall getting out of them? Thanks guys
fyi I had to return the Moog hubs that I bought with the exact intention you have. The studs have smaller splines than the stock hubs which would need to be reamed out or the ARP studs will NOT install. I went with OE replacements.

See my post in this thread
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-pp-front-wheel-bearing.91327/

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
fyi I had to return the Moog hubs that I bought with the exact intention you have. The studs have smaller splines than the stock hubs which would need to be reamed out or the ARP studs will NOT install. I went with OE replacements.

See my post in this thread
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-pp-front-wheel-bearing.91327/
Thanks man you just saved me a lot of headache. I had already ordered some and they have the same issues you described. I was almost out of the return time frame too. Thanks man. The moogs are like 30 bucks cheaper, defiantly not worth the headache with the studs as opposed to the MC replacement. Thanks again.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I replaced a left front after 15,000 miles, 2015 with maybe 5-6 track weekends per year. Right front still good

Sponsored

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Something to consider, in the Miata track world, the front hubs are a serious known weakness. One of things nearly all the serious track/racers do is to pull apart the hub when new, clean out any existing (if there is any) grease, and repack the hubs with high-quality synthetic grease.

It makes a noticeable difference in the longevity of the hubs. No reason to think it wouldn't help with these either.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
2016 GTPP, just had rear wheel hub replaced at 28k miles. Under warranty thankfully, but still ridiculous

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i replace the rears at least once a season, sometimes more - they always develop some play, and i've tried both ford and moog replacements with similar failure behavior. at least they're cheap (relative to hub/bearing replacement cost on other platforms). fronts are preventative (i replaced after 3 seasons), even though they had no play and had been run hard on a 18x13/335 setup - the dual ball joint helps spread the load a lot better than the single joint design on the S197 (which were notorious for failure).

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I have a post on here somewhere. I did my hubs very early on my 2017. 2 tracks days and an autocross and I had a rear and front hub with play. In early 2017 my moog replacements were of noticeably better quality than the ford pieces. It is ashame they went cheap. I have put 4 more track days on them and they are tight still.
Sponsored