Sponsored

Catch cans do they really work? Bullitt

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
Being 20yrs old doesn't mean it doesnt still apply. Nothing has changed with PVC systems. Where do you think the oil that gets sucked through goes? Into your take and onto the back of your valves. Where heat cooks it. Having a dual fuel system helps with the valves but does 0 for the intake.
:thumbsup: what he said. if it were not for my catch can (oil separator) this would be going right into the intake .....
IMG_7913.jpg
IMG_7936.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Being 20yrs old doesn't mean it doesnt still apply. Nothing has changed with PVC systems. Where do you think the oil that gets sucked through goes? Into your take and onto the back of your valves. Where heat cooks it. Having a dual fuel system helps with the valves but does 0 for the intake.
How much oil do you think it goes into the intake? People make this sound like gallons of oil transfer to the intake when you drive. In reality its like 0.00000000001 ounce per mile. As I said if you have that much oil going into your intake you might have bigger problems to worry about.

OP
OP

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:thumbsup: what he said. if it were not for my catch can (oil separator) this would be going right into the intake .....
IMG_7913.jpg
IMG_7936.jpg
I am curious to know how many miles did you have that. It is a lot more than what my catch can collects.

I have a buddy that just checking his catch can. He is on roush supercharger and races his car regularly. He had not checked his catch can for over 5k miles. He had almost nothing in it.

I guess it could be case by case?

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I am curious to know how many miles did you have that. It is a lot more than what my catch can collects.

I have a buddy that just checking his catch can. He is on roush supercharger and races his car regularly. He had not checked his catch can for over 5k miles. He had almost nothing in it.

it could be a case by case thing but i changed my intake manifold out at 10k miles and i dont track or drive my car super hard and i still had a small pool of oil already built up. my can collects prob at least an ounce every thousand miles and every bit of that would have ended up in my intake. again this is on a car that isnt driven that hard.

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Just over a 1000 miles, I dont drive my car hard either. I do play from to time, but on a regular basis below 4k rpm.
I see no oil consumption that I can tell, I check my levels every Saturday morning.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just over a 1000 miles, I dont drive my car hard either. I do play from to time, but on a regular basis below 4k rpm.
I see no oil consumption that I can tell, I check my levels every Saturday morning.
You're not likely going to notice a few oz by dipstick, but the point isn't to prevent consumption. I'ts more about keeping the parts that shouldn't have oil in them "clean" helping to prevent any future maintenance.

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're not likely going to notice a few oz by dipstick, but the point isn't to prevent consumption. I'ts more about keeping the parts that shouldn't have oil in them "clean" helping to prevent any future maintenance.
:thumbsup: Totally agree .... was just mentioning it because of one of the statements made earlier....meaning I dont see any loss, but it happens and separator catches it. :)

"How much oil do you think it goes into the intake? People make this sound like gallons of oil transfer to the intake when you drive."

OP
OP

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:thumbsup: Totally agree .... was just mentioning it because of one of the statements made earlier....meaning I dont see any loss, but it happens and separator catches it. :)

"How much oil do you think it goes into the intake? People make this sound like gallons of oil transfer to the intake when you drive."
Yep, we however are arguing opinions. There is no research done with two identical cars on with a catch can and another without comparing them 10k 20k 30k miles and so on. My opinion is that catch cans could help someone that has a lot of blow by but on a healthy car it will have no impact.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
you guys should pull your intake and check out how much oil you prob have pooling in there...

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
IMG_7936.jpg
This picture is pretty much what mine looks like after about 2000 miles.

So, answering the "Do they work?" question: Yes, they do, and it's not a debatable position. Catch cans absolutely remove oil vapor from the intake air stream and prevent it from going further into the system and through the valves.

The implied question that wasn't asked was "Are they worth the effort for normal driving?" That one drops into "Opinion / YMMV" territory.

Sponsored

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This picture is pretty much what mine looks like after about 2000 miles.

So, answering the "Do they work?" question: Yes, they do, and it's not a debatable position. Catch cans absolutely remove oil vapor from the intake air stream and prevent it from going further into the system and through the valves.

:like:

Michal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019 DHG
I like to install Ford performance catch cans on both sides of my Bullitt. My dealer told me that standard ones for GT don't fit to Bullitt and some modifications are needed. Is there a specific catch can for Bullitt or GT one can be fitted ?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I like to install Ford performance catch cans on both sides of my Bullitt. My dealer told me that standard ones for GT don't fit to Bullitt and some modifications are needed. Is there a specific catch can for Bullitt or GT one can be fitted ?
Use the GT350 for the passenger side, I think the GT350 works on the Driver side but you need to tweak it a bit as a bracket is moved.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
Is the driver side necessary?