Sponsored

Would you let color alone stop you from buying a great used car?

Would you let color alone stop you from buying a great used car?

• Total voters

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've grown to dislike all-black interiors but that still wouldn't stop me, only cuz dealers seem to order few Mustangs with interiors in an actual color.

But for the exterior it's extremely important it's something I'm comfortable and happy with. Bright colors would make me feel self-conscious/not match my personality. Red is cop-bait to me. I would take the hit on options to get a color I was happy with. (For example my '08 was floaty and boaty but it was beautiful.)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Any color is OK with me except red. I have received too many tickets with a red car. I prefer to not attract attention.

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I'm a hard pass on race red or ingot silver. Black or orange they better be great deals and have everything else I could possible want. The rest I'm ok with.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Think about the order of the items you mention when you describe your car choice. Chances are the first few are materially important to the performance/image. "Mustang 2018, GT, Auto trans, PP." From there on it's pretty much a matter of individual taste and window-dressing..

I would reject Non-Mustangs; Mustangs prior to 2018; Non-GT Mustangs; Manual-Trans Mustangs; non-PP Mustangs. Any additions that came on a good-deal car of my preferred color would be bonuses. If I didn't happen to come across a well-endowed car in my color, I'd likely do without until I did find one.

A Blue-of-any-shade car is a non-starter, any Green but BRG, also. Most metallic colors I'll do without. I might hold still for one of very few primary colors, and I really like black cars and white cars.

My yellow-Yellow-YELLOW current car is likely a concession to the urge to re-capture some of the joy of my youth, when my happiest hours were spent road-racing a Sunflower Yellow Chevrolet VEGA Kammback (and later a kind of Spanish Gold/yellow GT coupe). There were half-a-dozen cars on my dealer's lot that matched minimum mechanical requirements, but they had to go seventy or so miles away to come up with a yellow Yellow YELLOW one. And I'm quite pleased with every aspect of the car, especially the color. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

If there were Mustangs that came from the factory in UPS-truck Brown, I might be tempted to check the market again.
VEGAandMustangOMS.jpg

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Mustangs aren't known for coming from the factory with superb paint jobs, so if you can afford to have it professionally repainted to better than new, go for it.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Honestly I havent been happy with the color palette of mustang for the last couple years. Or maybe longer, I dunno. It’s all subjective though. But Dodge with the charger / challenger has been killing it. I even like most of the camaro colors. Ford nailed it though with twisted orange & the gabber lime though here. Otherwise ehh. Which is really sad. But hopefully 2020+ brings back some color.

Mustangs aren't known for coming from the factory with superb paint jobs, so if you can afford to have it professionally repainted to better than new, go for it.
I’m told their working on self correcting some layering patterns just recently. Basically thin paint. Ford won’t ever attempt to admit they cheated out on thousands of mustangs and other fords. They’ve added more time with RR & TO, then again for the upcharge they should. I really should do a paint over on my. It’s bad, I think if i stare too long at one spot I’ll burn a hole in the paint.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Depends on the color. Some I could live with (like the white). Others I would not tolerate.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Depends on what you want on the car and what you want to pay. It's all a matter of personal preference. You want one with hi $ mods already on it and the available choices drop like a rock. Then it's a matter of price and can you stand the color. Got lucky with the '16 GT. Already had a VMP 2.3 on it, professionally installed and VMP tuned. Not much more than a stock GT same age and mileage. Blue wasn't top on the list, but a nearly free blower? When you want one? It'd have to be one pukey color to turn that down. You want it box stock, that's a whole 'nother story.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why buy something you’re not 100% completely satisfied with, just to get a deal? Just makes no sense to me.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
100% yes. The color is the second thing I pick, the first being the make and model of the car I want.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like it's to be expected when going for a used car to not get everything you want. Not only buying new but ordering has spoiled me, get absolutely everything I want how I want it.
I was buying left over 2017 GT in 2019 from a lot I played almost retail price for it and since I'm in Europe I pay around 46 000$ to get exactly what I want out of my GT. I waited for 1 year for the right Grabber Blue to come on the market. I debated number of times if I could settle for a different colour but I couldn't. I don't think if you are buying a sports car that in Europe literally have 1 option colour you should get a colour that you don't want or like.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
When I was looking for mine I only wanted blue or orange. The color was important enough to me that I never even looked at a Mustang in any other color. I had other options that would be deal breakers too but the color is the first thing you see when searching for a car.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
unlike most people color for me is everything when it comes to buying the car. before my orange cars, i would buy red only, no matter what car i owned it was red....and
the escapes are still red (metallic) the mustangs previous to my 2012 boss were also red metallic. i have passed up special editions because they are a color i do not like (bullitt)
some of the others were not offered in the colors i wanted so i passed. but i am very selective in my color choices, and with that most people buy a car to go from point A to B.
they could care less about the color, or even how much they pay for it too....

another option (and a bit expensive) is to wrap the car now. its becoming popular and you can do almost any color you want, then change it in a couple years if you want.
im sure most here would say the same as i did so hope this helps.
Sponsored