What is your go-to driving mode?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Forward. I was taught in the 70s that the front tires should arrive first (wasn't always easy to do in a 75 Camaro V8 in northeast Ohio). Will occasionally pull the shifter into S for spirited bursts of speed to lose a Honda or lifted truck.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I keep it in Normal until traffic on the highway slows to 40mph, or anytime I'm slugging around on side streets. Less shifting, better response.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
What is "Sport+"........I've not seen that one on my 2019 car??:inspect:

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Normal in winter. Sport or sport plus in better weather.

Deleted member 35644

Flip the far right toggle switch up, and watch the guage cluster as it toggles through the available modes. It's in there.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Not many manuals so far. With Magneride, I toggle from Normal to Sport. This puts suspension, steering and active exhaust in Sport mode. It also seems to somewhat increase throttle response. Next, hold up the T/C button for five plus seconds to disable T/C and ESC. To me, this noticeably increases throttle response. This is my driving mode 95% of the time. I will occasionally toggle up to Track mode which really stiffens up the suspension, but I typically dial the active exhaust back to Sport mode as that seems to provide the best all around exhaust note for my preference.

GOTdaBLACK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, Shadow Black, MT82D4, PP1
Sport mode + all day.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I put shifter in S because it holds gears longer and usually doesn't get beyond 7th gear. 10 is too many.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I really like Sport + so far. I have only tinkered with Drag & Track a little so haven't really seen what they can do yet. But no doubt they are even more fun when pushed. But Sport + really gives me a grin:)

Sponsored

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I go back and forth between Sport+ and Track. Use normal when it rains. I really love the rumble in Track mode.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Track mode 100% of the time.

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Just thought i would ask, having had my Mustang a month.. i've had a chance to play around with them a little bit and just wondered who uses each of them when and what your thoughts are on them.

Mine are as follows - Keep in mind this is for an A10 PP1 without magnaride, so i cannot comment on the suspension changes.

Normal - To me this is pure 'eco mode' It seems that the transmission wants nothing more than to shift through the gears as quickly as possible to get into 10th (it will skip 2nd and 4th a lot of times) and stay in it's current gear until you really dig into the gas. Its a great 'just drive and forget' mode, especially in traffic and if you want the best possible gas mileage, which is what i believe it was designed for. I really only use this when im just cruising slowly (sometimes with quiet mode exhaust). It's very comfortable and quiet (i call it 'grandma mode") - if i'm looking for that kind of experience.

Sport - This is one of my favorite daily driver modes honestly. Its a perfect mix of daily driver characteristics and fun factor. The transmission really wakes up in this mode, It no longer skips gears, even under light acceleration. If you get aggressive with the throttle, it will downshift multiple gears instantly, and if you get into the brakes a good deal, you'll be met with multiple rev matched downshifts. Its a night/day difference from normal mode, which will never do any of these things. It will also sometimes hold a gear if you command a strong downshift, but not nearly as much as the more aggressive modes.

Sport+ - I use this one with more aggressive street driving. The throttle is exponentially more sensitive (to the point where you can get the 'herky jerks' at low speeds because the car shifts so hard with your foot on the gas and will cause it to surge because of it (i'm sure i am not the only one that this has happened too.. something i thought was exclusive only to manuals). The downshifts are aggressive, the steering is tight, and a simple overtake procedure will give you at least 2 gears downshifted. Also it *loves* to revmatch downshift. Its a fun mode, but can be a bit aggressive for normal driving. Also, the exhaust mode changes to sport here, but i usually have it set to track all of the time anyway.

Track - First of all, you get track mode exhaust - so yes, its a lot louder than the other modes if you are not already manually selecting it. This mode i probably have the least experience in, as it really shines best on a winding road where you can really explore the higher rpm ranges. From what i have used of it, it is outstanding. It seems to know what you are doing before you do, it will hold gears based on your throttle and steering input, and i believe it even monitors g forces to know if you are into a corner or on a straight as to how long to hold a gear. The shift firmness seems to be very strong here, but not strong enough to upset the car in a corner.. overall, its fantastic and i cant imagine what it would be like on a road course.

Drag - This one makes me smile like a kid! I havent been to the track yet with it, but ive done some full throttle romps with it on the street.. The first i did a 30 mph punch with it, lost traction and had it chirp 3rd loud, i knew this mode was pure awesomeness. The shifts rival those of a manual powershift, the car is all about straight line acceleration under full throttle and i can only imagine how much goes into the launch portion on a prepared surface.

Snow/Wet - I played around with this one once or twice. But seeing as i live in a place where i only see rain - its never really used, even if i needed it. However, i do applaud the feature. It numbs throttle response to almost nothing. The transmission will almost never downshift unless you floor it.. the transmission will hold keep the revs low and in lockup to prevent any slipping. I can only imagine the stability/traction control are tuned to be exceptionally sensitive. Im sure people who have dealt with more treacherous driving situations can comment more on this one, but i'm glad to see it here for those who daily drive their cars in less the desirable conditions.

Overall, I love the customization characteristics of the driving modes, and how well they suit your particular driving style. Im sure its a lot more noticeable for the automatics than the manuals due to the shift characteristics being controlled by throttle input, but hopefully a few people will be able to share their own thoughts on how the driving modes work for them with both transmissions.
Very nice summary, thanks!

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Sport plus is my favorite, I drive 90% in normal and last night I made one WOT run in drag(was a blast btw).

I always, no matter the mode, keep the steering in comfort mode it just has a smoother feel to me.
Sponsored