Sponsored

Millennials Love Their Mustang’s

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
She's not a millennial though, solidly Gen Z. I do love mine though!

Red 67 looks great!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
OK, OK, I got it, Gen-Z'ers then. :)
Its funny as a few of my friends would constantly mock Millennials until I pointed out they were also Millennial. It's usually due to Gen-Y originally being its own thing but was later lumped into the Millenial name.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Its funny as a few of my friends would constantly mock Millennials until I pointed out they were also Millennial. It's usually due to Gen-Y originally being its own thing but was later lumped into the Millenial name.
Maybe this will help them.......

Generations-wide-table1-250h-500w.png

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Maybe this will help them.......

Generations-wide-table1-250h-500w.png
It really depends on who is doing the measuring, some places will say that 81-96 is Gen Y/Millenial and others will go from 79 to almost 2000. It seems most places agree on 80/81 to 95/96.

Xenials were more made by older Gen Y that refuse to be called Millennial due to all the hate on them.

Millenials are the 1st generation to have a mostly analog youth and a digital adulthood. A lot of what we were raised with just isn't needed or doesn't apply. Everything we ere told we HAD to know is now easily looked up due to having a computer in our pockets. I no longer need to know the dewy decimal system, or how to use encyclopedias, or how to do more complicated math in my head (unless its your job in which case you should). I was literally taught how to use an abacus, how to use a calculator, how to load actual floppy disks, how to use a Desktop Publisher. None of that has any use for me now. Learning how to program would have been helpful, how to use spreadsheets, or word. How to do basic finances. Now THAT would have been useful. In the 80's and 90's they were still teaching what "has been" instead of teaching for what WILL BE. I got out of HS feeling already behind the curve.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It really depends on who is doing the measuring, some places will say that 81-96 is Gen Y/Millenial and others will go from 79 to almost 2000. It seems most places agree on 80/81 to 95/96.

Xenials were more made by older Gen Y that refuse to be called Millennial due to all the hate on them.

Millenials are the 1st generation to have a mostly analog youth and a digital adulthood. A lot of what we were raised with just isn't needed or doesn't apply. Everything we ere told we HAD to know is now easily looked up due to having a computer in our pockets. I no longer need to know the dewy decimal system, or how to use encyclopedias, or how to do more complicated math in my head (unless its your job in which case you should). I was literally taught how to use an abacus, how to use a calculator, how to load actual floppy disks, how to use a Desktop Publisher. None of that has any use for me now. Learning how to program would have been helpful, how to use spreadsheets, or word. How to do basic finances. Now THAT would have been useful. In the 80's and 90's they were still teaching what "has been" instead of teaching for what WILL BE. I got out of HS feeling already behind the curve.
Yes, but the good part is... we aren't afraid of change. We aren't afraid of learning something new. The willingness to adapt is what keeps us alive in this world. These days you either adapt or get left behind. The world waits for no one.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yes, but the good part is... we aren't afraid of change. We aren't afraid of learning something new. The willingness to adapt is what keeps us alive in this world. These days you either adapt or get left behind. The world waits for no one.
This is one of they key pins to the "okay boomer" stuff. There is a large break between Gen Z and the Boomers. A Gen Z-er has almost 0 concept of how a Boomers life was while growing up and Bommers often have very little understanding of what kids today do for social experiences. They may get Facebook, or Twitter, MAYBE, but they sure don't know snap chat, tik-tok, or other stuff. To them it just some "stupid thing" they do. Just how my Boomer parents saw me as "playing on the computer". Well that "playing" became a career for both myself and my brother.

Older generations tend to not want to adapt as they have not had to. Things generally stayed the same. They started the computer revolution, but they are the most confused by it. For them the move from radio to TV, to color TV were HUGE leaps and were slow 10+ year adoptions, some even holding off on color TV till like the 70's.

For us we moved from floppy to smaller floppy, to CD, to being able to burn CD's to DVD to to DVD replacing VHS and CD, to HD DVD to Bluray to USB and no discs at all, just streaming by our early 20's. From EFI being new to Teslas. To younger Boomers, Gen X, Y and Z things have never stopped changing, and have been changing at faster paces.

For example my dad set up his hi-fi system in the house and setup the TV and VCR.... now setting up an Apple TV confuses him, and hitting the Change Source button on a remote instead of Input button on the TV is confusing... its the same thing hes been doing since the late 70's. Nothing has changed, its still red/white cable to red/white connector or square cable into square port, yet he acts like its totally alien.

Hell we have politicians that call the internet "a series of tubes" and "the cyber". They don't even understand the basic systems that control our banking, communications, entertainment, and many other things as a high level. I would understand them not getting the complexities of the Blockchain, but i would be amazed if many have heard of it or could tell me anything about it other than "something about bitcoin". Meanwhile its causing disruptions in banking and finance and other industries, and they barely even get the Internet which was mainstream 25-30 years ago. Yet we expect these people to be able to make laws regarding it, when they don't even understand it, or know enough to properly tell if a person is an expert, or just know better than they do. I desperately want more politicians under 55, I don't care if they are D or R, I just want them to understand the policies they are discussing when it comes to cyber security and encryption and the internet.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This is one of they key pins to the "okay boomer" stuff. There is a large break between Gen Z and the Boomers. A Gen Z-er has almost 0 concept of how a Boomers life was while growing up and Bommers often have very little understanding of what kids today do for social experiences. They may get Facebook, or Twitter, MAYBE, but they sure don't know snap chat, tik-tok, or other stuff. To them it just some "stupid thing" they do. Just how my Boomer parents saw me as "playing on the computer". Well that "playing" became a career for both myself and my brother.

Older generations tend to not want to adapt as they have not had to. Things generally stayed the same. They started the computer revolution, but they are the most confused by it. For them the move from radio to TV, to color TV were HUGE leaps and were slow 10+ year adoptions, some even holding off on color TV till like the 70's.

For us we moved from floppy to smaller floppy, to CD, to being able to burn CD's to DVD to to DVD replacing VHS and CD, to HD DVD to Bluray to USB and no discs at all, just streaming by our early 20's. From EFI being new to Teslas. To younger Boomers, Gen X, Y and Z things have never stopped changing, and have been changing at faster paces.

For example my dad set up his hi-fi system in the house and setup the TV and VCR.... now setting up an Apple TV confuses him, and hitting the Change Source button on a remote instead of Input button on the TV is confusing... its the same thing hes been doing since the late 70's. Nothing has changed, its still red/white cable to red/white connector or square cable into square port, yet he acts like its totally alien.

Hell we have politicians that call the internet "a series of tubes" and "the cyber". They don't even understand the basic systems that control our banking, communications, entertainment, and many other things as a high level. I would understand them not getting the complexities of the Blockchain, but i would be amazed if many have heard of it or could tell me anything about it other than "something about bitcoin". Meanwhile its causing disruptions in banking and finance and other industries, and they barely even get the Internet which was mainstream 25-30 years ago. Yet we expect these people to be able to make laws regarding it, when they don't even understand it, or know enough to properly tell if a person is an expert, or just know better than they do. I desperately want more politicians under 55, I don't care if they are D or R, I just want them to understand the policies they are discussing when it comes to cyber security and encryption and the internet.
Interesting perspective. I'm Gen X, but I'm close to Boomer territory in some aspects of my personality.

Here's another perspective. I remember when I was younger going to restaurants - even fast food - and getting really great service. I remember young people working behind the counter who would almost always look you in the eye, smile, maybe call you sir or ma'am as appropriate, and work quickly to complete your requests.

Now I get scowls, mumbling, no eye contact, extremely slow service, businesses not even opening at times because their help just didn't show up that day..

Technology is not a big deal to me and I see it as an aside to life. Maybe that's because (as you already stated) I'm gen X and rapid change of technology has been part of my life as long as I can remember. My criticisms have more to do with the main part of life - living - doing things - not just observing things... interacting with people, etc. What I find annoying are all the people who think they are the greatest ever and that everything should be given to them. They should not have to lift a finger. I, the customer, am an annoyance rather than the person who pays their wages.

My dad doesn't always get technology. I think he does well, though. I just don't see where that means much. It doesn't impact someone else's life. What does impact others' lives are people who just are lazy and don't care.

It's funny to me how people who can't stand criticism and talk about "micro-aggression" would come up with something as ageist as "OK boomer". Pretty sad. Part of that me me me perspective, I think. Never taught to respect other people - or at least never learned it.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, I'm not one, but the phrase "OK, boomer" just enrages me when I see or hear it.

But consider the source....

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah, I'm not one, but the phrase "OK, boomer" just enrages me when I see or hear it.

But consider the source....
I'm a boomer (67) and proud of it. I'm also a techie and a computer guy. I also have a sense of humor. A warped one, but one nether less.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Interesting perspective. I'm Gen X, but I'm close to Boomer territory in some aspects of my personality.

Here's another perspective. I remember when I was younger going to restaurants - even fast food - and getting really great service. I remember young people working behind the counter who would almost always look you in the eye, smile, maybe call you sir or ma'am as appropriate, and work quickly to complete your requests.

Now I get scowls, mumbling, no eye contact, extremely slow service, businesses not even opening at times because their help just didn't show up that day..

Technology is not a big deal to me and I see it as an aside to life. Maybe that's because (as you already stated) I'm gen X and rapid change of technology has been part of my life as long as I can remember. My criticisms have more to do with the main part of life - living - doing things - not just observing things... interacting with people, etc. What I find annoying are all the people who think they are the greatest ever and that everything should be given to them. They should not have to lift a finger. I, the customer, am an annoyance rather than the person who pays their wages.

My dad doesn't always get technology. I think he does well, though. I just don't see where that means much. It doesn't impact someone else's life. What does impact others' lives are people who just are lazy and don't care.

It's funny to me how people who can't stand criticism and talk about "micro-aggression" would come up with something as ageist as "OK boomer". Pretty sad. Part of that me me me perspective, I think. Never taught to respect other people - or at least never learned it.
The pay those people made in the late 70's and 80's also went a lot farther then than it does now. Working a summer part time job at Burger King over the summer could nearly pay for your next 2 semesters of college including books. Now a full year of full time minumum wage working barely covers 1 year of college. In 1980 the national average pre tax pay for full time Minimum wage was $6,448. A 1980 base Mustang was $5,338 83% of your pay. In 2019 the average is $19,100 pre-tax and a base Mustang is $26,670, 140%. To keep that same ratio from the 1980, when you could buy a, low end, sports car, you are now limited to a Honda Fit or Nissan Versa. Now raising Min wage to $15/hr makes that ratio and buying power back to how it was in 1980, almost, still a couple % off.

Society acts as though those minimum wage jobs are just junk or "for kids" and that people that do them shouldn't be respected. despite that they involve heavy lifting, working with hot objects, chances to be burned, and working with chemicals. So in turn of course they are not going to see why should they show respect. It's not required of the job. I mean we are failing the kids so hard that when the touch machines are not working to checkout often they cant even do the math of a $1.45 cheese burger out of $5 in their heads.

On the flip of that people are also noticing a trend that when older people leave a restaurant they leave stuff all over the table and just go. Gen Y and Z are more likely to clean their table and leave a pile of stacked dishes that are easily cleaned up by staff.

Also the irony of the "never learned to respect people" I always found it funny that some of the Boomer generation love to complain about Millennials, yet it was the Boomer generation that raised Millenials, so they are simply complaining about their own generations parenting skills, and blaming the result of their laziness as if they had nothing to do with it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Also the irony of the "never learned to respect people" I always found it funny that some of the Boomer generation love to complain about Millennials, yet it was the Boomer generation that raised Millenials, so they are simply complaining about their own generations parenting skills, and blaming the result of their laziness as if they had nothing to do with it.
I deleted the parts where you implied that it was ok to be crappy to others if you aren't happy about your wage. I don't think we will see eye to eye on that.

I agree 100% that some of the Boomers messed up and did a really crappy job raising their Millennial children. Some Millennials and their parents are great, but lots are not so much. However, it's a typical move for a Millennial to refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions. Blame someone else - always.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I deleted the parts where you implied that it was ok to be crappy to others if you aren't happy about your wage. I don't think we will see eye to eye on that.

I agree 100% that some of the Boomers messed up and did a really crappy job raising their Millennial children. Some Millennials and their parents are great, but lots are not so much. However, it's a typical move for a Millennial to refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions. Blame someone else - always.
Interesting. Because I never said that it was okay. I said why they do it. Interesting that you see a reason for a behavior as excusing it.

It's also been proven that how you are raised, and what you learn from your parents has a massive impact on who you are how you behave and how you think. I knew many parents(boomers) that raised their kids(millennials) while I was growing up that refused to accept their kid could ever be wrong or the one at fault and that it must have been someone else's kid that started or did something. That is the parenting metality that I saw commonly even growing up. Parents insisting I must have done something because it was "simply impossible" that their kid did it. I remember an Easter egg hunt in the 80's that was for kids. Instead all the parents joined in. The one kid that did it properly, alone, was left empty handed.

Many of these senses of entitlement were taught and learned from young ages. It wasn't millenials that started giving out participation awards. It was their parents.

You don't see this as common in Gen X or Z their parents generations also have a massive lack of entitlement vs the Boomer generation. Much of the Boomer Generation was also very entitled and they are passing it down, only to complain about it coming out in the generation they raised to not accept blame.
Sponsored