bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you tune your engine you must be willing and able to step up and pay out of pocket for replacement parts. I have seen people fight warranty work on a simple blow off valve or intake, dealers trying to blame a blown ringland on a intake etc.

IF YOU TUNE YOUR ENGINE YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
You are buying a 30 000$ car and in this forum there are guys that are building this engines for as low as 3000$ and full new engine out of factory is around the 7000$ mark. So probably you can prepare a fund for such case.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So I just called Ford. Not just the dealership but I assume what would be the main headquarters. Apparently what they told me is that any modifications or Tunes added to the car will not void the warranty as long as the problem cannot be traced back to those modifications causing the issue.
What do you guys think ? Has anyone heard otherwise?
You completely did not understand their response. See Airborne5.0's post - he's spot on.

Beside if you blow up your engine - do you really think (seriously) it will be a genuine manufacturing or design problem ? Chances for that are extremely slim.

Deleted member 35644

Just remember that the entire power train is affected by a tune. Transmission goes out? It's because the engine is putting out more torque than its factory rating. No, the presence of a tune won't void your warranty....but nothing inside the engine, transmission, or rear end will be covered by that warranty when something lets go.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well, if you trust your tuner and go with someone that's tuned thousands of Coyotes, what is there to worry about? If you're really that worried, drive your car about 5,000 miles and ensure everything is good and broken in. If you have any kind of major failure, it will happen within a very short time. I've been tuned since the 5k mark and going on 15k problem free miles.

Warranty queens are so dramatic sometimes.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I love these threads. It seems like there’s been about a dozen in the last week.

Want a faster car with a warranty? Buy a faster car with a warranty.

As stated above: a tune won’t “void” your warranty, but a warranty claim could be denied because of it. It’s as simple as that. Your warranty is still in tact, but warranty claims for repairs of components affected by modifications designed to make the car operate outside of stock could be denied.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
A few things here...

- Someone over the phone can say just about anything they want to. If you believe them, that's on you, NOT them. You have to do your due diligence. A verbal agreement IS NOT legally binding. You would need something on paper notarized.

- The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act comes into play. This act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. Unfortunately for you, having a tune makes it easy for Ford to say whatever they want because a tune involves flashing the ecu and the ecu controls a good chunk of the car. The tune could void your powertrain warranty, but the rest of the car would still have your warranty in tact.

- A tune on an N/A car will very rarely cause problems itself. However, if the car already has an issue, a tune could very well exacerbate the problem.

- With an N/A Coyote being the torque monster that it is, it would be a VERY slim chance of you breaking the transmission or an axle because of a tune(on an N/A car). You just aren't gaining enough torque through the tune to go beyond the torque capacity of the transmission or axle.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well, if you trust your tuner and go with someone that's tuned thousands of Coyotes, what is there to worry about? If you're really that worried, drive your car about 5,000 miles and ensure everything is good and broken in. If you have any kind of major failure, it will happen within a very short time. I've been tuned since the 5k mark and going on 15k problem free miles.

Warranty queens are so dramatic sometimes.
Matt, the drama comes in when someone tunes their car, has an issue, their warranty claim is denied, and they cannot afford to fix it.

Just because you’re good at 15k doesn’t mean something isn’t going to blow at 16k. Can you afford to fix something if Ford says bye, bye? If yes great, you’re good to go. Not everyone can do this. To these folks I would say, “stay stock”.

Deleted member 35786

Matt, the drama comes in when someone tunes their car, has an issue, their warranty claim is denied, and they cannot afford to fix it.

Just because you’re good at 15k doesn’t mean something isn’t going to blow at 16k. Can you afford to fix something if Ford says bye, bye? If yes great, you’re good to go. Not everyone can do this. To these folks I would say, “stay stock”.
Totally agree. If you buy a $30,000+ car and cant afford to pay it off let alone financing it for the next 5yrs then you should not be dumping whatever extra cash you have on modifications, thus jeopardizing said vehicle. That is just poor money management. Wonder why Americans are drowning in debt.... come on people..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
- A tune on an N/A car will very rarely cause problems itself. However, if the car already has an issue, a tune could very well exacerbate the problem.

- With an N/A Coyote being the torque monster that it is, it would be a VERY slim chance of you breaking the transmission or an axle because of a tune(on an N/A car). You just aren't gaining enough torque through the tune to go beyond the torque capacity of the transmission or axle.
I agree with these comments but rarely and slim can be dangerous words. I would add “if”. If something happens, just be prepared to pay for it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You guys act like a tune completely jeopardizes the car. Majority of the major tuners all keep these cars within safe parameters. How many people have you seen say, "Wow, Lund or PBD blew up my car!" None. Yes, it "can" happen, but your chances of that happening are slim. If you have Jose tune your car at Underground Auto, R.I.P. your engine.

If you're financing 35k and didn't put anything down, you're right, you should probably stay stock because you already can't afford the car.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Here we go..............

WARRANTIES ARE NOT VOIDED. WARRANTY CLAIMS ON THE OTHER HAND CAN BE DENIED.

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST SOMEONE STICKY THIS POST AND THIS POST ONLY.

Anger-inside-out.png

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You are buying a 30 000$ car and in this forum there are guys that are building this engines for as low as 3000$ and full new engine out of factory is around the 7000$ mark. So probably you can prepare a fund for such case.
I am not saying I cannot afford to replace an engine, but please show me where I can get a built engine for 3,000? Seriously not being sarcastic. The sticker on my car was 57k CAD, and personally I wont run the gauntlet and tune my engine before the warranty is up. I come from the forced induction I4 world and am no stranger to tuning and heavily modding vehicles. I am just trying to get the point across to those that maybe do not have the same experiences....If you tune your engine and ANYTHING goes wrong with your car (outside of early corrosion, interior buttons etc etc) you will be denied.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I am not saying I cannot afford to replace an engine, but please show me where I can get a built engine for 3,000? Seriously not being sarcastic.
If it's not massive failure, it's possible if you're willing to rebuild yourself. If you pop a ringland, rod and pistons can be had for around $1,800 if I remember right. Refresh the valvetrain with springs, chains, phasers, and valves and you should be around $3,000.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Here we go..............
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
WARRANTIES ARE NOT VOIDED. WARRANTY CLAIMS ON THE OTHER HAND CAN BE DENIED.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST SOMEONE STICKY THIS POST AND THIS POST ONLY.

Anger-inside-out.png
1. I love you avatar.
2. Yeah, good luck with that :cwl::crackup:

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Why do people STILL think that something "Voids" you warranty. NOTHING DOES, if you mod your car and they can trace the issue to the mod the will DENY the claim - YOUR WARRANTY IS NOT VOID. Now it can be a PITA to try and argue with the manufactuer but MODS DO NOT VOID YOU WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored