Sponsored

Disabling 4G modem on 2019+ cars

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I know I'm going to get flak from some of you and you'll think I'm a paranoid tinfoil hat-wearing weirdo, but has anyone disabled the 4G modem on their 2019+ car? According to the FBI, US automakers have become the target of a lot of cyber attacks recently. With all the data spills we've been seeing in the news from companies from all industries, I don't trust Ford to be able to keep my car safe from cyber attack. I know that owning a laptop and a cellphone mean that I'm still extremely vulnerable to malicious actors online but I don't travel at high speeds next to other vehicles that are also travelling at high speeds inside my cellphone or laptop

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carmakers-are-collecting-your-data-and-selling-it/
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/your-car-might-be-easier-to-hack-than-you-may-think.html
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30260730/chevy-volt-hacked-data-collection/
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/31150...-targets-for-malicious-hackers-in-2018-report
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dont worry about cyber attack.
Just worry that your speed and location data is resold to insurance companies to raise all Mustang owner rates.
This is the “high value” application of tracking.

Lol, i get hella discount with insurance cause all their gear tells them I drive like grandma to/from grocery once a month and thats it.

sniff comms, record grandma grocery runs, replay comms, lolz

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They're already tracking your phone - why is this any different?

First, I have a 2018 and I just switched it off in the "Settings" menu. Second, if you don't sign up for the paid connection service, then there's no connection to track you with. Or am I missing something?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@JAJ

Absolutely correct. If you’re using any mobile phone with maps, emergency services, health apps, local store apps, weather apps, etc., etc., GPS has your position pretty much nailed down anyway.

:bandit:

Sponsored

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
This is an interesting thread. Some of us don't use any apps like the ones mentioned (or any apps at all, to be honest!).

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I don’t think the OP’s concern is limited to tracking, he’s concerned about someone taking over his car while he’s driving it.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Dont worry about cyber attack.
Just worry that your speed and location data is resold to insurance companies to raise all Mustang owner rates.
This is the “high value” application of tracking.
Never going to happen as that would cannibalize Mustang and all other sports car sales...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
This is an interesting thread. Some of us don't use any apps like the ones mentioned (or any apps at all, to be honest!).
You have a smart phone, its already tracking you due to it just having a signal. Even non -smart phones can still send back GPS, signal strength, possibly local wifi network SSID names,... Lots of info on your.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Never going to happen as that would cannibalize Mustang and all other sports car sales...
You have a phone with a phone number, thats connected to you. Carriers, and Apple/Google/any OEM can already track you, your speed if they want to and your location. They just have to make a deal with your Insurance company to sell the data to them.

You need an EZpass often now if you do a lot of highway driving. Guess what. Whats a literally constant signal for your speed and location on a device attached to your car. Again, they can likely just resell that to Insurance companies. EZpass is already used to track you even when NOT on a toll road.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Many examples listed above of things you might consider avoiding based on your own privacy preferences/tolerance. Trading personal information for convenience and all that.

I think the fact here, though, is that very many of us have no use for our cars sending data to someone. I get in my car to go from point A to point B for whatever reason. I like horsepower, handling, a nice exhaust note, and good sounding tunes. None of these things require me to give up privacy. I don't even know what convenience the 4G modem gives me... in-car Wi-Fi? If I'd like in-car Wi-Fi then I'd have to consider my options. But since I have zero use for it, I'd happily remove it if I knew how. No need to give that data for free to whoever wants it.

What our phones do, what EZ Pass does, etc. are all separate issues that can be decided upon and handled separately from our cars sending whatever data they are sending. There's no need to just throw up your hands and say Corporation A knows this about me, Corporation B knows that about me, might as well just let Corporation C have this other data.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
EZpass is already used to track you even when NOT on a toll road.
I was not aware of this, do you have a link?
I've been wondering if the recent cannonball record breakers were going to end up prosecuted due to some electronic tether, be it easypass, using Waze, photos taken at toll positions, etc.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I was not aware of this, do you have a link?
I've been wondering if the recent cannonball record breakers were going to end up prosecuted due to some electronic tether, be it easypass, using Waze, photos taken at toll positions, etc.
I figure they'd pull and use that info in bigger criminal cases, sure, but not go there for small-timers just yet as the general populace would be unhappy about it and cause this data collection to have to take a few steps back, whereas right now it goes mostly unchecked.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I think you need to activate the 4G Wi-Fi it doesn't come on. If I remember its 30 days or 1GB of data? I got a message on Ford Pass that I need to activate it. No thanks, I'll just hotspot my phone if needed.

Edit - Just checked its 3 months/3GB Trial with AT&T but you do need to activate it.
Sponsored