Sponsored

Manual Sync3 Updates

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am a new owner so please forgive me. Couple of questions as I am confused
1) I have Sync 3.3 but the site states an update is available, what is in the update? Is it 3.4?
2) Why would anyone use Waze or any iPhone based app via Applink? I don't understand why you just wouldn't use car play. Am I missing something.

Loving the Mustang but coming from BMW's iDrive I can honestly say Sync 3 is lacking at best, its overly complicated with sub menu after sub menu with buttons placed all over the place with little consistency, the screen is low res and the lack of support for data to be used on iOS via Bluetooth for the native Sync 3 Nav is poor (maybe an iOS thing I appreciate). Don't get me wrong its okay and the actual B&O system is far better than the HK I had in my m2, its the user interface I have an issue with.

Ford need to take a hard look at the implementation of others infotainment systems,

In peoples opinion is an Android device a better option to use with Sync 3? I have no problem switching back to one as soon as I can.
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
@hinch - yeah mine crapped out too yesterday, my trick of using different browsers didn't work at all :frown:

@wenklaw welcome to the forum and of course ownership :D
1) could be a map update or the program update - if it's 20+GB then its the map lol If it's a system update it might help you use your iPhone - not sure as I dont use the car play options (see previous posts haha)
2) not sure - don't use it but the function on the phone is likely more upto date than the car system (certainly easier to keep updated!)

Never used any manufacturer based info system before this (had a mid 90's Jap car for long enough) and yeah the Ford system does seem a bit clumsy to begin with but with usage it does become easier. I use the navigation from the screen, mostly the physical controls for the heating and a USB key for the music and these days the heating is on front demist with only the fan speed changing

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I am a new owner so please forgive me. Couple of questions as I am confused
1) I have Sync 3.3 but the site states an update is available, what is in the update? Is it 3.4?
2) Why would anyone use Waze or any iPhone based app via Applink? I don't understand why you just wouldn't use car play. Am I missing something.

Loving the Mustang but coming from BMW's iDrive I can honestly say Sync 3 is lacking at best, its overly complicated with sub menu after sub menu with buttons placed all over the place with little consistency, the screen is low res and the lack of support for data to be used on iOS via Bluetooth for the native Sync 3 Nav is poor (maybe an iOS thing I appreciate). Don't get me wrong its okay and the actual B&O system is far better than the HK I had in my m2, its the user interface I have an issue with.

Ford need to take a hard look at the implementation of others infotainment systems,

In peoples opinion is an Android device a better option to use with Sync 3? I have no problem switching back to one as soon as I can.
I use applink because if you use Android Auto or Carplay then you lose the Sync front end functionality for everything else such as built in nav, audio settings, climate etc. I use applink for Acast, and What 3 Words nav integration.

Native nav uses updates over the air for traffic info etc. I've even seen warnings for thunderstorms and strong winds on the native nav system

As regards usability - probably just because it is so different to the BMW system rather than complicated and you will soon get used to it.

I don't think V3.4 is available yet - at least not in the UK

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don't lose the Sync 3 functionality when I use Carplay 'other' than the Sync 3 Nav. Everything else works still, climate, sound settings, audio via USB. I can flip between the two interfaces no problem. Any way if applink fits your needs so be it.

I did the update to 3.3.1 yesterday only been in the car for 25 minutes this morning, cant say I have noticed any difference to anything but then I wouldn't with a x.x.1 release.

And why dis Sync 3 fail to report an update was available even when I clicked manual scan for update when the car was connected to my WiFi with a good signal?

Last edited:

Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Maybe I'll just leave the USB connected and see what happens.

I can't do my updates from Ford as I upgraded my Sync 2 unit to Sync 3
How did you update from 2 to 3. What company make/model did you use? Are you happy with the upgrade to 3. Any downside?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have done the same as GR11M, no downsides, you need a satalite nav cable for it, and a new arm rest unit, and it's a pretty easy install, but barring the manual labour part, it's a world apart upgrade!!!
How did you update from 2 to 3. What company make/model did you use? Are you happy with the upgrade to 3. Any downside?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
anyone else struggling to download the update from ford website it took 3 hours of "hold on we're preparing your download" today for me twice before finally failing at the last minute.
ha, finally got the update downloaded tonight, let us see if it spits the dummy with the USB drive or just does the ruddy update!

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine still randomly shows the warning during start up about needing to reconnect the USB, even though its been permanently connected for a month :computerrage:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine still randomly shows the warning during start up about needing to reconnect the USB, even though its been permanently connected for a month :computerrage:
Question on it actually... you know the actual middle screen between the rev and MPh gauges, does yours flick between opposing 'poles' in the direction top right, mine will go N/S repeat or like SW/NE etc.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hi guys, what's the latest version of Sync3 and does it include Alexa? I see Alexa mention on Ford in the US but not on our site.

Any other benefits with the latest version?

Also, do I really need to keep the car running uninterrupted the whole time while the upgrade happens, as I'm not planning any long trips under the current lockdown.

Cheers
David

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hi guys, what's the latest version of Sync3 and does it include Alexa? I see Alexa mention on Ford in the US but not on our site.

Any other benefits with the latest version?

Also, do I really need to keep the car running uninterrupted the whole time while the upgrade happens, as I'm not planning any long trips under the current lockdown.

Cheers
David
For a 2017 car like yours there is a fairly recent sync 3 v3.0. Later cars with a different APIM can currently use v3.3 officially. There are ways to upgrade to v3.4 (looks different) but for older APIM's like yours it is a bit more involved.

If you want to stick to official releases go to https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/ and check for an update for your car.

It takes about 20 minutes to do the upgrade of sync and 40 minutes for the maps. You do need the car running as you really don't want it cutting out whilst half way through.

Updates recently are mainly bug fixes although depending on what you have (it may only be sync 3 v2.2) there are feature changes as well.

Whether the v3.4 will ever be released as an update officially for 2019 cars -- who knows, but 2020 cars are shipping with it.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Great information. Thanks Greg.
Sponsored