Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I have had good results with Harrys lap timer for tracking my lap times(no video) and RAM mounts for the phone. I also use RAM mounts for my Garmin Virb. They are really good mounts.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
RAM mounts are extremely popular and work exceptionally well. They’re the best in class for a suction cup based mount.

Track Addict is a good app. Start there. Harrys Lap Timer is ok, but harder to use than TA.

None of the phone apps are much better than a camera with a timer. If you want good data you’ll have to spend more.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I found Harry's to be really flaky and difficult to use, failed to detect the start/finish line many times on more than one track. Now I use TrackAddict, much simpler and has been rock solid for me so far. I also like that you do the post processing on a PC using real PC software and it's got a lot of configurable elements.

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The only thing I will say about harry's lap timer is that sometime it bundles lap times together so I may have one lap time for 30 minutes instead of 15 lap times.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
The only thing I will say about harry's lap timer is that sometime it bundles lap times together so I may have one lap time for 30 minutes instead of 15 lap times.
This often happens when I accidentally switch from "circuit" to "segment" as I'm rolling out of the pits.
TrackAddict = easy to use. If you want repeatability and very accurate GPS data get an add on gps with Bluetooth

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I use TrackAddict connected to an external bluetooth GPS that runs at 10hz so it's more accurate the the 1hz you get from the built in phone GPS. It's very hard to get a phone to record video clearly so I always end up using a GoPro for video. After I get back home, I sync the data from TrackAddict with the GoPro on my PC using RaceRender. I'm very happy with the results.

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I use TrackAddict connected to an external bluetooth GPS that runs at 10hz so it's more accurate the the 1hz you get from the built in phone GPS. It's very hard to get a phone to record video clearly so I always end up using a GoPro for video. After I get back home, I sync the data from TrackAddict with the GoPro on my PC using RaceRender. I'm very happy with the results.

Very nice..

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Schosche magnetic phone mount. Have not had any issues with phone falling off the mount after multiple track days.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Going to resurrect this older thread to see if anyone has found anything better than the RAM suction mounts for cell phones using Track Addict.

I'm trying to get things prepared for an HPDE weekend @ Road America this summer. 1st time tracking since mid-90's and want to be ready to without issues when I show up. But also want ease of use, since I don't want this to be a distraction.

Most of what I've seen online show the RAM as the favorite. Anyone have any new products that give better stability as a windshield suction mount?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TaraFirma

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Going to resurrect this older thread to see if anyone has found anything better than the RAM suction mounts for cell phones using Track Addict.

I'm trying to get things prepared for an HPDE weekend @ Road America this summer. 1st time tracking since mid-90's and want to be ready to without issues when I show up. But also want ease of use, since I don't want this to be a distraction.

Most of what I've seen online show the RAM as the favorite. Anyone have any new products that give better stability as a windshield suction mount?
I ended up going with the Panavise mount that’s in my OP. It holds the phone (iPhone X) very well. So much so that some vibration is evident in the video. Don’t really mind though because I really just wanted the telemetry from the app to overlay onto GoPro footage.
I didn’t look at the RAM mount, but I know they’re pretty pricey.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Well, any amount of fiddling with lap timers or cameras is going to be a distraction. Neither Harry's Lap Timer or Track Addict are particularly useful for data other than making a video with pretty, but useless overlays and getting a simple lap time. Between the two, I like Track Addict a little better, as its slightly harder to screw up. If you really want data, you need something which you can get those exported out and really look at graphs to compare things. For that you need to spend more money and get something like an Aim Solo. That data won't be super helpful tho until you know the racing line of that track well and are looking to optimize the details, hopefully with a coach. Your first time out I'd expect you'll be learning the limits of the car, practicing the racing line, dealing with traffic, and not a whole lot else.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Well, any amount of fiddling with lap timers or cameras is going to be a distraction. Neither Harry's Lap Timer or Track Addict are particularly useful for data other than making a video with pretty, but useless overlays and getting a simple lap time. Between the two, I like Track Addict a little better, as its slightly harder to screw up. If you really want data, you need something which you can get those exported out and really look at graphs to compare things. For that you need to spend more money and get something like an Aim Solo. That data won't be super helpful tho until you know the racing line of that track well and are looking to optimize the details, hopefully with a coach. Your first time out I'd expect you'll be learning the limits of the car, practicing the racing line, dealing with traffic, and not a whole lot else.
The whole point is to get accustomed to the track app and assorted hardware prior to the event so I'm not fiddling with them in the staging lane. Aim Solo is where I'll get to if i decide to get serious, but for now, simple lap times are all I need. The track is familiar, albeit not much has changed since I was last there except off track. It took all of 4 time trial laps to set 3rd fastest time overall for the event back then, but technology has left me behind as I raised a family.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'll still recommend just driving the first session on your first day back (at the very least). Get the driving part settled a bit first, as that's way more important even as a returning driver following an extended time away than sorting out the datalogging and videoing. Remember that such things weren't always available and people managed to learn anyway.

Any time that you find the video/datalogging fiddling to be excessive or that you're feeling under time pressure to get its setup finished while in grid/staging, let it go. Don't even bother to shut it off, forget it and just go drive.

Norm
Sponsored