Fuel

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
You should RTFM. My '19 GT manual states that the car is made to run on 87. For best performance, use 91 or higher. Where you get the temp bit I don't know because it is NOT in my manual.

This coming from a guy who adamantly uses Shell 93 Nitro and nothing else, period. 87 is just fine. I use 93 for the extra cleaning detergents, not for horsepower. BrieBee72 is correct that all top tier gas gets the same detergents. However, premium grade gets more than 87 or 89.

You can run a GT on 87 pump all day, every day, with no issues. If you don't believe that, then you are in disagreement with the people who built the car.
Damn, my age is showing. I had to Google "RTFM" :blush::facepalm:
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
"There is literally a thread called 2018 MPG 87 vs 93." " an article where they tested a 2015-2017" < who cares that's old news.

Maybe you think I am being mean, but if you read my post you will find I did not ask what's the best or kind of fuel I should run........

Do have one question, what the hell is "an N/A car" I must not be informed :question:

pep
Yes, unfortunately the internet is full of abbreviations. I don't think anyone spells out the actual words these days. It sucks, I agree!

An N/A car is a naturally aspirated car, like our V8s from the factory.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Yes, unfortunately the internet is full of abbreviations. I don't think anyone spells out the actual words these days. It sucks, I agree!

And 'FI' can mean 'forced-induction' OR 'fuel-injected;' on this forum it appears to be assumed it's the former (though it confused me for a while).

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

And 'FI' can mean 'forced-induction' OR 'fuel-injected;' on this forum it appears to be assumed it's the former (though it confused me for a while).

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
It's the Techron in the gas that keeps the engines clean. Shell Nitro works the same. I can tell you if an engine has run Shell simply on the internal condition of it. IMO, Chevron or Shell are great choices, but Shell is the best of the best. That's my experience and opinion though, so no disrespect to the guy who thinks Chevron is best.
Yeah, I'll use Shell gas with no qualms. I think Techron is the incumbent because IIRC Chevron was the first to tout its additive in its marketing, and they sell bottles of Techron, well, almost everywhere (including Costco); I haven't seen Nitro sold standalone.

Dunno about the S550, and I'm too lazy to look in the OM, but my S197 Bullitt's manual was adamant about 'DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES' or similar; I don't know why, but I think all modern fuel has to have at least an adequate amount of injector cleaner (which was an issue when FI--that is 'fuel-injection'--became commonplace; yeah, I'm that old).

Edit: Maybe alternating tank-fulls of Shell and Chevron would give 'the best of both worlds.' The catch can I'm using collects about a teaspoon of oil every 1K miles, and even the best fuel won't help keep an intake manifold from gunking-up (unless you're running a carburetor in you S550 ;)).

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I run strictly 93 from shell or sunoco. I have the ford racing stage 2 power pack and it requires 91 or better. I won't buy gas from anyone other than shell or sunoco.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I run strictly 93 from shell or sunoco. I have the ford racing stage 2 power pack and it requires 91 or better. I won't buy gas from anyone other than shell or sunoco.
As an Austin-Healey acolyte, I can appreciate Sunoco:

Sunoco%2Bposter.jpg

http://cramptonillustration.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunoco-free-gas-campaign.html

Unfortunately, I know of no Sunoco stations in California, and precious little 93-octane (none nearby). If I want better than 91, I have to mix 4 gallons of 100-octane race gas--@ $8/gal!--with 12 gals of 91. I've done it, but can't tell a difference in the seat-of-my-pants.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Wawa has both 91 & 93 depending on area. When I was in Monroe Township NJ all they had was 91. Neither is Top Tier.
You realize 93 is 93. Top tier is subjective. Same trucks deliver to many different gas stations.
I ran Quick Check and WaWa almost exclusively in my GS Corvette and never ever had a problem. Same in my Harley, 6.2L GMC, and 5.0 GT.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You realize 93 is 93.
Not sure what you mean Frank. I know 93 is 93. It is not 91.

Top tier is subjective
No, it’s not. The truck that is going to Wawa is not going to Shell, Sunoco, Mobil, or any other Top Tier brand.

I used Wawa 91 in my 15’ EB for over two years with no issues. Down here in SC I use Costco. It’s 93 and Top Tier.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
E85 is the only way to fly...
Noticed the newest Casey's nearby now has E85. Out of the hundreds of stations in my city and area this is the only station that has E85. So let me ask a question right quick. I think the 85 refers to the amount of gas and ethanol but what is the octane in E85? I'm sure that's a stupid question so why not another lol. From what I've seen and read to run E85 you have a tune for E85 in the GT right? I have a 2019 btw

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The "E" stands for ethanol and the 85 stands for the percentage of ethanol, so E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. On the flip side, E-10 is 10% ethanol and 90% gas

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The "E" stands for ethanol and the 85 stands for the percentage of ethanol, so E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. On the flip side, E-10 is 10% ethanol and 90% gas
Awesome so after doing a bit of reading I would need a tune for my 19 GT and wondering if that would void the warranty? Would I also need a new CIA?
Sponsored