06C747B6-2D1B-4D80-977C-406C582D0917.jpeg

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Turbocharged engines have higher intake air temperatures than naturally aspirated engines. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to predetonation from less than ideal conditions. Running a higher octane fuel in the turbocharged engine allows the computer to advance the timing to produce more power. When the octane is lower the predetonation retards the timing.

This was even explicitly stated in the manual for my Fusion 2.0T and my Flex which has the 3.5 TT. Regular is required and premium is recommended.

I am going to say the same goes for the 2.3T.

From the manual.
2.3L EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 Engines We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. To provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage, such as trailer tow.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Costco 93. Top tier and always fresh. Shell if no Costco is around.
Same here, but I'll use Sam's if I'm in the area. Almost exclusively Costco (combination of convenience and WAY cheaper (currently $2.65 today). I'm surprised how well the Stage3 93 tune is working - it fixed a sag in part-throttle acceleration that was noticeable in the Stage2 tune.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
By me. WAWA or Quick Chek 93 Octane. Never an issue.

Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I simply ask ok show me the proof that higher octane gas makes a difference worth the money?
Well you can't develop a proof for something's that subjective, like is something worth the extra money to a given person.

Maybe it more boils down to which attitude one tends to take on things:
1. I just spent a lot of money on a car so I'm gonna try to save money on gas.
2. I just spent a lot of money on a car so why would I try to save money on gas.

I guess I tend to fall into the 2nd group. If I wanted to save money on gas I could've just gotten something a lot more fuel efficient.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well you can't develop a proof for something's that subjective, like is something worth the extra money to a given person.

2. I just spent a lot of money on a car so why would I try to save money on gas.

I guess I tend to fall into the 2nd group. If I wanted to save money on gas I could've just gotten something a lot more fuel efficient.
Every time I fill up I say I’m going to throw a tank of 87 in just for the hell of it. Then when I go to push the 87 button a strong wind comes up and pushes my hand over to the 93 button. Strangest damned thing.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Every time I fill up I say I’m going to throw a tank of 87 in just for the hell of it. Then when I go to push the 87 button a strong wind comes up and pushes my hand over to the 93 button. Strangest damned thing.
Just find fight the wind and try it. :) Ha I know some of my replies look really like blah dee blah. But I was premium gas only person too then one day.... I read a little and said ok Im gonna try a tank or two. Well I been enjoying the savings ever since. I literally said why was I spending all that extra for nothing.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Ha I can get on board with that. But my thinking is why spend it if you are not really getting anything from it that you get from the cheaper? I mean every penny is hard earned why waste it? its marketing 101. There was a show about walmart and other retailers and the tricks they use. And they found out people like to spend more because it creates a perception of better. I can't remember the exact item they used as an example but they said when it was sold for a dollar it didn't sell so they marked it up to 4 dollars and they sold every one of them. If you ask any car person what the best oil/ tires/ wheels/ gas is almost every time they will list off the most expensive. Marketers know how to manipulate us and they do a good job of it.

When you talk to people about their new stuff 9 times out of 10 they will tell you its value or price to show hey I bought this expensive thing. Look at me I spend the most so it must be the best. Its a social statues thing more than a actual value for your money. Go to a car meet and everyone says what gas you use? only 93 duh. and everyone grunts in agreement and everyone is accepted as car guys. Disagree and say um why 87 works the same and oh hell no traitor what the hell is that guy thinking and he's a social outcast LOL. Then he comes back next week and says I use 93 now and he's welcomed back into the fold as one with the group again. Our purchases are just as much social as anything.

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
... if you want someone to tell you what fuel to run ask a tuner or performance shop.
My engine builder, a locally-renowned race/performance shop, says "The engines that come into my shop in the best shape run exclusively on Chevron," and it's all he'll use (FWIW). My Bullitt runs fine on Costco 91, but every few fill-ups I'll throw a tank of Chevron in it (the station is also more convenient).

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Here we go again. RTFM! It DOES NOT say 87 is always ok. It says you should use 91 or higher in high temperatures. So here in Las Vegas 87/89 is ok in the winter, but you need to use 91 at all other times.
You should RTFM. My '19 GT manual states that the car is made to run on 87. For best performance, use 91 or higher. Where you get the temp bit I don't know because it is NOT in my manual.

This coming from a guy who adamantly uses Shell 93 Nitro and nothing else, period. 87 is just fine. I use 93 for the extra cleaning detergents, not for horsepower. BrieBee72 is correct that all top tier gas gets the same detergents. However, premium grade gets more than 87 or 89.

You can run a GT on 87 pump all day, every day, with no issues. If you don't believe that, then you are in disagreement with the people who built the car.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My engine builder, a locally-renowned race/performance shop, says "The engines that come into my shop in the best shape run exclusively on Chevron," and it's all he'll use (FWIW). My Bullitt runs fine on Costco 91, but every few fill-ups I'll throw a tank of Chevron in it (the station is also more convenient).
It's the Techron in the gas that keeps the engines clean. Shell Nitro works the same. I can tell you if an engine has run Shell simply on the internal condition of it. IMO, Chevron or Shell are great choices, but Shell is the best of the best. That's my experience and opinion though, so no disrespect to the guy who thinks Chevron is best.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I now use 93 octane from RaceTrac, I was using 87 the first year to save money but there is a noticeable jump in performance using 93 in my ecobooost.

TC

OP
OP
Rapid Red

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You've never seen a fuel thread on this entire forum? You are $h#%ing me right?

If you're serious, you are about as blind as the refs who were officiating the Rams v Saints game last year and forgot to call pass interference.

Fuel threads are literally everywhere! You might think I'm being mean, but if you would have clicked to go to the 2nd page, there is literally a thread called 2018 MPG 87 vs 93. The search button would have displayed a plethora of threads about fuel or octane or top tier gas. I hope you don't work on your own car, I'd be scared to ride with you...

Anyways, since this thread comes up a lot, on an N/A car, you are looking at 10-15 hp difference between regular(87) and premium(91 or 93) fuel. No, you won't feel the difference either. There was a guy on this forum who said he could definitely feel the difference. That's what's commonly called the placebo effect. If you want a reference with data, I'll link you to an article where they tested a 2015-2017 with regular and premium fuel and found these results.

The real reason to run premium fuel isn't the minimal horsepower increase, it's the added protection from oil dilution and knock.
"There is literally a thread called 2018 MPG 87 vs 93." " an article where they tested a 2015-2017" < who cares that's old news.

Maybe you think I am being mean, but if you read my post you will find I did not ask what's the best or kind of fuel I should run........

Do have one question, what the hell is "an N/A car" I must not be informed :question:

pep
Sponsored