Sponsored

Question for those that did a sound tube delete

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I may go the route of buying a value to put in that can open or close like others have done. An extra tube in the bay doesn't bother me as I don't show the car.
Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I spent about 2 hours on that damn nut......1/8 inch ratchet with a 10MM deep socket (bloody forearm)........WHAT A STOOOOOPID CONTRAPTION ON A FACTORY CAR......UGH!!:angry:

I used a Dorman Master Cylinder Gasket as a Firewall plug........not much fun installing that either but I finally got it done!!:like:

I hope the 2020 Mustangs don't have that ridiculous Sound Tube!!:frown:

Oh yeah.....and here's a photo of the culprit so we can hate it even more.......Grrrrrr!!:curse:

Sound Tube.jpeg

Last edited:

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
I fiddled with the 10mm nut for a good 30 minutes using extensions and swivels and took it off but agree that just ripping it off makes sense. I always wondered what the difference was with it out, especially since in a lot of older posts guys were saying they couldn't hear the difference.

What I can say for sure is that at idle, sitting at a light, etc. the interior is noticeably quieter. Once you tip into the throttle I hear no difference with it in or out and I think that's the point of it, to pipe in some "cool noises" while you're sitting still. I was hoping it had something to do with the mild drone at around 2300 RPM but it had no effect on that at all. As soon as I clean up my shop, I'm cutting out the resonator and throwing in a Steeda H-Pipe. We'll see what that does for the drone.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I fiddled with the 10mm nut for a good 30 minutes using extensions and swivels and took it off but agree that just ripping it off makes sense. I always wondered what the difference was with it out, especially since in a lot of older posts guys were saying they couldn't hear the difference.

What I can say for sure is that at idle, sitting at a light, etc. the interior is noticeably quieter. Once you tip into the throttle I hear no difference with it in or out and I think that's the point of it, to pipe in some "cool noises" while you're sitting still. I was hoping it had something to do with the mild drone at around 2300 RPM but it had no effect on that at all. As soon as I clean up my shop, I'm cutting out the resonator and throwing in a Steeda H-Pipe. We'll see what that does for the drone.
Glad you got that contraption amputated.........my arm and hand were semi-mutilated by the time I got that nut off!!:curse:

What did ya plug the hole in the firewall with??:inspect:

Also, do you have "Active Exhaust" and if so I'd really like to hear the various modes with your Steeda H-Pipe??:sunglasses:

GOOD LUCK!!:thumbsup:

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
What kills me is all the time and money spent on R&D and tooling to make that monstrosity of questionable purpose. Then they go and castrate the left testicle off the horn assembly to save a few pennies. WTF?

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I immediately bought a PAIR of 2018 horns for around $20.00 from my dealer.....SOUNDS LIKE A CAR NOW!!:like:

They claim they are preventing hearing loss in pedestrians......WTF??!!:explode:

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
Glad you got that contraption amputated.........my arm and hand were semi-mutilated by the time I got that nut off!!:curse:

What did ya plug the hole in the firewall with??:inspect:

Also, do you have "Active Exhaust" and if so I'd really like to hear the various modes with your Steeda H-Pipe??:sunglasses:

GOOD LUCK!!:thumbsup:
I decided to waste money and bought a kit from RacerX. Plugs the firewall hole with a plastic grommet and the hole at the intake with a machined aluminum cap with a rubber grommet in it. Nice piece of kit but totally uneccasary. Home Depot or Lowes hardware sections sell plastic caps that can fill the hole. I'd love to post up some videos once I have the H pipe done, just need to find the time. There's some of this exact setup on YT already, they sound good.

What kills me is all the time and money spent on R&D and tooling to make that monstrosity of questionable purpose. Then they go and castrate the left testicle off the horn assembly to save a few pennies. WTF?
And they take the lightbulb out of the shift selector bezel on the center console. So not only doesn't it indicate what gear your in for 2019, it also doesn't even light up at night anymore. Totally worthless. I removed it and modified a manual bezel to fit. Looks so much better.

I immediately bought a PAIR of 2018 horns for around $20.00 from my dealer.....SOUNDS LIKE A CAR NOW!!:like:

They claim they are preventing hearing loss in pedestrians......WTF??!!:explode:
Ha! I did the horn mod the same day I pulled the sound tube out! It doesn't sound like a clown car any more!

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I used the flex head racheting 10mm wrench from post #2. A little more detail:

On my 2018 I had to remove the battery cover (dropped one of those effing little black plastic fasteners into the engine and can't find it :curse:), strut tower brace, and engine cover. Been meaning to remove that engine cover anyway.

To get at that nut first I had to slide the steering fluid line out of its silver U-shaped positioning bracket:

IMG_2539.JPG

Next remove the 10mm nut up under the cowl that holds some kind of electrical blade connector to the firewall and rotate the cable out of the way:

IMG_2538.JPG

Then I stood with my right hip against the fender and reached my right hand with the wrench down into the opening, and was able to unbolt the nut. It's of course a locking nut so you have to wrench it pretty much the whole way off. And guys, it's gonna hurt squeezing your hand in there, if you can even get it in there.

After that it was a breeze.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
What did you use to plug the hole in the firewall??:facepalm:

I got mine done but it was TESTY!!:whew:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The plug has a taper so I centered it on the hole and pressed right in the center of the plug and it popped right in. At first I tried putting it in one side at a time but that didnt work.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Boomba racing makes a nice kit with an anodized aluminum cap for the intake tube and then you don't have to use the hose clamp and a rubber cap that will eventually get hard and crack. Used Boomba on my factory tube until I replaced the factory tube with one from Mishimoto.
Sponsored